#ED

REVISED Weekend Estimates 6/14--6/16: Man of Steel OW $116.7M($128.7M including WM)

I'm not against them. I'm lamenting the loss of quality. Spend 200 million on a good movie all you want, but when that result lands you Bayformers or Lone Ranger(totally and utterly awful) then yes I'm against big movies. I mean I'm an unashamed Potter fan, Bond fan, and Those Brilliant arthouse movies that get 9 figure budgets (Gatsby :P). I like them because they have a very high quality. (yes even Quantum of Solace was good, at the very least not as bad as people make it out to be)

I agree with this, except I enjoyed Bayformers 1 and I will probably enjoy Lone Ranger just because it's Depp, and I'm a big Depp fan.

• Like 1

It depends largely on the execs, and increasingly, they're no longer "film guys" who come from production and who love films; they're business guys who come out of Harvard or Yale with MBAs and neither know much about movies or movie history, nor care to learn. For them, it's the sheer bottom line... and you can't qualify "genius" or "talent" with a numeric value.

That's why I think that Alan Horn was such a big hiring for Disney. Disney is a company that is really run by a TV first guy. Bob Iger came from ABC and really understands TV and the bottom line. But, Alan Horn really understands movies and that can only lead to Disney green lighting the right projects.

• Like 2

I agree with this, except I enjoyed Bayformers 1 and I will probably enjoy Lone Ranger just because it's Depp, and I'm a big Depp fan.

Somehow I doubt the latter; you'd have to be a huge Depp fan to like Lone Ranger. It is awful. Long, Tedious, Boring, and Unimaginative to say the least. 

I'm not against them. I'm lamenting the loss of quality. Spend 200 million on a good movie all you want, but when that result lands you Bayformers or Lone Ranger(totally and utterly awful) then yes I'm against big movies. I mean I'm an unashamed Potter fan, Bond fan, and Those Brilliant arthouse movies that get 9 figure budgets (Gatsby :P). I like them because they have a very high quality. (yes even Quantum of Solace was good, at the very least not as bad as people make it out to be)

You saw Lone Ranger?

That's why I think that Alan Horn was such a big hiring for Disney. Disney is a company that is really run by a TV first guy. Bob Iger came from ABC and really understands TV and the bottom line. But, Alan Horn really understands movies and that can only lead to Disney green lighting the right projects.

Yep, WB fired the wrong guy last year. Should have kept Horn and fired Robinov.

• Like 1

Alan Horn was a huge pick up for Disney, shame WB lost him.

Somehow I doubt the latter; you'd have to be a huge Depp fan to like Lone Ranger. It is awful. Long, Tedious, Boring, and Unimaginative to say the least. 

Oh, well I guess I won't enjoy it then :P. I will still watch it, just because it's Depp. Honestly I can see what you mean, it does look somewhat generic.

(yes even Quantum of Solace was good, at the very least not as bad as people make it out to be)

Holy shit, I can't imagine a world where riczhang actually likes QOS -- that's an absolutely terrible movie that's a total poster-child for the exact sort of generic, produced by committee, no script tentpole debacle we're talking about.
  • Like 6

Holy shit, I can't imagine a world where riczhang actually likes QOS -- that's an absolutely terrible movie that's a total poster-child for the exact sort of generic, produced by committee, no script tentpole debacle we're talking about.

It's Bond therefore it is good.

I would put it in the middle of bond movies its far from terrible