Jandrew

Sunday/Wknd #'s, MU 23-24/82, WWZ 17-18/66, MoS 11.7-12.3/41.2, TITE 13, NYSM 7.8 BOM, RTH

Better Saturday jump for MoS than I expected. At the end of today, it will have grossed more than "Superman Returns" both domestically and Worldwide (maybe Overseas as well, don't know the exact figure).

Back to the "Superman Returns" extrapolation chart - If MoS only grosses as much as Returns did from this point forward, it ends with 265M.

If MoS has the same drops and increases as Returns did, it ends up with 325M. Date for crossing 300M - 18 July.

Beyond Dead Man's Chest, I recall the competition being very weak, while Man of Steel does not have that luxury. 300 million is still very possible though I feel.

WWZ is enjoying a 'low expectations' sugar rush at the moment. It opened at 66 on a budget which is 190-220 depending on where you look but it is only a success if you consider that it could have been a disaster. In Reality it is an underwhelming number.

lets look at this and take the fact that it was SUPPOSED to be a disaster in the first place

Posted Image

As many are saying it will go between 160-220 million:

lets look at similar movies with similar budgets:

2012 made 166 million, it is not considered a success in the end

Tron: Legacy made 172 million, it is not considered a success in the end

Cars 2 made 191 million, it is not considered a success by many in the end

even King Kong which made 218 million is not considered a success.

While the only OS outlier is 2012 which made 70% of its money OS, WWZ is looking more like Cars 2 and Tron in terms of OS

So if you look at it without the blurry lens of low expectations due to people saying it went through so many reshoots and many thought it was a disaster. It wasnt a disaster and it wasnt great. If it went through no reshoots and went normally, people would just call it an OK beginning for a 200 mill budget flick.

I have high hopes but the reactions so far from the Elysium trailers in my viewings have been meh.  Hoping I'm wrong.

Totally no reaction at all. I can see why though. The trailer isn't full of money shots. Unless you already have some interest there's nothing to hook you. TBH it looks kind of strange, lol.  Probably needs a bit of narration to give some context.

Among top critics in RT, TDKR has 75%. TASM has 80% and TA, 85%. It was a VERY flawed film, regardless the way you put it. It's the weak link of an otherwise perfect two films. I just think that the more years go by, more people will be saying that.

Batman, original Star Wars and Godfather trilogies seem to have similar critical and audience reception trajectories.

Beyond Dead Man's Chest, I recall the competition being very weak, while Man of Steel does not have that luxury. 300 million is still very possible though I feel.

I am doing a running comparison actually. Have been doing a daily comparison between the 2 movies since last Monday when Returns had outgrossed MoS. MoS has performed better since (in terms of daily tracking). The 4th of July weekend will be the big test IMO.

WWZ is enjoying a 'low expectations' sugar rush at the moment. It opened at 66 on a budget which is 190-220 depending on where you look but it is only a success if you consider that it could have been a disaster. In Reality it is an underwhelming number.

lets look at this and take the fact that it was SUPPOSED to be a disaster in the first place

Posted Image

As many are saying it will go between 160-220 million:

lets look at similar movies with similar budgets:

2012 made 166 million, it is not considered a success in the end

Tron: Legacy made 172 million, it is not considered a success in the end

Cars 2 made 191 million, it is not considered a success by many in the end

even King Kong which made 218 million is not considered a success.

While the only OS outlier is 2012 which made 70% of its money OS, WWZ is looking more like Cars 2 and Tron in terms of OS

So if you look at it without the blurry lens of low expectations due to people saying it went through so many reshoots and many thought it was a disaster. It wasnt a disaster and it wasnt great. If it went through no reshoots and went normally, people would just call it an OK beginning for a 200 mill budget flick.

You are relentless. :lol:

Totally no reaction at all. I can see why though. The trailer isn't full of money shots. Unless you already have some interest there's nothing to hook you. TBH it looks kind of strange, lol.  Probably needs a bit of narration to give some context.

Yeah.  They showed a new trailer for Elysium, with more narration, during WWZ.  Zero reaction.  Silence.  And on the big screen the trailer looked just ok.

Yeah.  They showed a new trailer for Elysium, with more narration, during WWZ.  Zero reaction.  Silence.  And on the big screen the trailer looked just ok.

I saw a trailer with no narration though.  And yes it didn't have the same appeal for me as when I saw it online. I feel the same way about the Pac Rim trailer.

Hangover 3...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

What an amazingly implosive performance.

However, it is still a worldwide financial success despite being lame.

Hope they won't make a fourth one.

Batman, original Star Wars and Godfather trilogies seem to have similar critical and audience reception trajectories.

Except TDKR received better critical reception than either of the third movies in those franchises. Hell, it received better critical reception than BB.

MoS is getting destroyed next weekend as well. I've said the legs would be shit. Thank god it had that big opening.

You can't really judge the legs yet, because it's had to compete with an overperforming WWZ, and a slightly overperforming MU. I do think some people are being harsh on MOS, and I do think the numbers are misleading with what I've just said about above.

You could factor in and say Man of Steel overperformed in its opening weekend and is evening itself out. It was always going to be tough for it to make 50m this weekend, especially with WWZ making 66m (I mean, not many people expected that) and MU making 81.2m; that takes up 147.2m of the box office, which doesn't leave much to go around for any other big weekend numbers.

• Like 2

I am doing a running comparison actually. Have been doing a daily comparison between the 2 movies since last Monday when Returns had outgrossed MoS. MoS has performed better since (in terms of daily tracking). The 4th of July weekend will be the big test IMO.

Interesting. I wonder how that holds though as time goes on. Much has changed since 2006 that I would have assumed the comparison wouldn't hold up this long.

And with the Wednesday launch for Returns, how does that work out? Just curious.

Edited by #MrPink of Steel