Punishment

Weekend Actuals 6/28-6/30

Isn't this the first time ever we have the top 5 all over 20M?

4th time:

25-Jul-03

11-Jun-04

23-Nov-12

edit: it would have been the 3rd time with 4 movies over 25m, but WHD just missed the mark.

The May 24th weekend this year was the first time there were 4 movies above $30m - I didn't realize that.

Edited by Punishment
  • Like 1

I know the genre is different by NYSM is almost having a Knocked Up/Bridesmaids type of run, never saw this coming.

It's been the ultimate counter programming since it's release. 

No direct straight up competition AND because it's great the WOM has been reflective of that.

Say you want to drop the family off, kids may go see PURGE, parents go to NYSM. Fill in the blank with anything but NYSM has been just what '13 box office needed.

The real question is this: When a sequel comes....and it will, how will it do? Is this a one off or will audiences care? The material is there for a sequel and as one who throughly enjoyed it I'd take one. Can they construct an as smooth narrative again? This film is like The Hangover, the first PoTC or Taken for recent examples. Films not structured for long term franchisement, but they go that route solely based on box office. 

• Like 2

It's been the ultimate counter programming since it's release. 

No direct straight up competition AND because it's great the WOM has been reflective of that.

Say you want to drop the family off, kids may go see PURGE, parents go to NYSM. Fill in the blank with anything but NYSM has been just what '13 box office needed.

The real question is this: When a sequel comes....and it will, how will it do? Is this a one off or will audiences care? The material is there for a sequel and as one who throughly enjoyed it I'd take one. Can they construct an as smooth narrative again? This film is like The Hangover, the first PoTC or Taken for recent examples. Films not structured for long term franchisement, but they go that route solely based on box office. 

NYSM is coming out here on Wednesday I'm definitely checking this out.

• Like 1

Good Lord that White House Down number.

Talk about perspective. Which late-June Channing Tatum movie would you predict to blow away the other at the box office: the PG-13 Roland Emmerich action thriller where the White House is destroyed, or the R-rated Steven Soderbergh drama about male stripping?
  • Like 4

Talk about perspective. Which late-June Channing Tatum movie would you predict to blow away the other at the box office: the PG-13 Roland Emmerich action thriller where the White House is destroyed, or the R-rated Steven Soderbergh drama about male stripping?

magic mike had one of the best marketing targeting women

Posted Image

• Like 3

That WHD number is not good....not good at all. :angry:

On the other hand good numbers for MU, TITE, & STID. :)

Love that STID had the second smallest drop in the top 10. :wub:

Yup.  I also like seeing how STID has stayed at the bottom of the top 10 for the past few weeks, while newer releases fall below it.  :)

• Like 2

I like how everyone said that WHD would open high... Stuff like that. And now they're something like "Oh yes, Satan, make that number drop MOOOORE"

• Like 1