AniNate

Pixels | Chris Columbus | July 24, 2015 | Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Michelle Monaghan, Josh Gad, Peter Dinklage

They're advertising this heavily towards children. This could surprise us

Which is exactly why I think it'll get a 3x at a minimum.

Nothing has mass appeal to families until Hotel Transylvania 2. 

MI5 and UNCLE don't have little kid appeal

F4 is too dark/serious

Vacation, Southpaw and Compton are inappropriate for kids 

Ricki and Paper Towns wouldn't interest anyone under the age of 11 or 12

The rest of August/September is adult-skewing

With Minions/Ant-Man set to be under $15 million a weekend after Pixels' 2nd weekend, and Shaun/Underdogs looking to combine for sub-$50 million DOM... Pixels really has the family demo to itself for 1.5 months. 

I'm thinking a $50-55 million OW on its way to a 3.5x-4.5x. So $175 million to $250 million is my guess for Pixels' range.

Pixels is in a similar situation as GotG/TMNT were last summer, since all of the tentpoles since JW have done less than $175 million DOM. If MI5 really opens to $40 million, $150 million probably won't happen unless it's excellent. Same with F4. 

I know I'm ridiculously bullish on Pixels, but 2015 has been pretty ridiculous so far  :P with only 4 films crossing $200 million DOM this summer so far, I think either Pixels, MI5 or F4 will surprise and at the very least inch across $200 million DOM. Or Vacation/Compton could come out of nowhere and do the same. 

Extremely mediocre. Nowadays Columbus makes paint-by-numbers films that just look paint-by-numbers. He's basically turned into an even more boring version of Brian Levant.
That's a bit harsh, but he's hardly Spielberg or Nolan. Basically he's the reason why I think this'll just be terrible as opposed to the crime against humanity it would be if Dennis Dugan or Frank Coraci were doing this Edited by tribefan695

That's a bit harsh, but he's hardly Spielberg or Nolan. Basically he's the reason why I think this'll just be terrible as opposed to the crime against humanity it would be if Dennis Dugan or Frank Coraci were doing this

I think the only reason someone like Columbus was hired was because he has experience with CGI spectacles like the first two Harry Potters and the first Percy Jackson. In terms of comedy sensibilities, look at I Love You, Beth Cooper.

Uh, Chris Columbus gave us Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire. Those two alone give him a free pass that lasts forever.

In Hollywood, you're only as good as your last project. When was the last time Chris Columbus made a truly great movie?

Uh, Chris Columbus gave us Home Alone and Mrs. Doubtfire. Those two alone give him a free pass that lasts forever.   In Hollywood, you're only as good as your last project. When was the last time Chris Columbus made a truly great movie?
His two HP movies, I guess He's got good blockbuster sensibilities, but he needs appealing actors to make his bland sense of humor go down easier. Sandler is not one of them anymore

There is such a workmanlike appearance to this film which is VERY Chris Columbus. Worked in the 90s but I think nowadays people prefer a little bit of stylistic, current pizazz to the way their films look. JW at least didn't look like JP, and that's one of the things that helped it.

It's just bizarre, this movie looks super outdated, and not just about the source material.

JW didn't have a lot of style to it; it did feel different than JP but that's just because no 'Berg

I haven't had this much trouble predicting a movie in a long-time. I can't put a finger on what its gonna do. On one hand, it has the concept and the stars to do well. On the other hand, marketing has been rather subdued and Sandler is toxic. A couple of times this got legitimately one of the best reactions I've ever seen for a trailer, a few other times it got absolutely stonewalled. It's a marketable concept with appeal across demographics/age groups, but the buzz seems to have peaked with the first trailer (when buzz was huge). I honestly wouldn't be a bit surprised with anything from 25 to 60 million this weekend. This shit has a Kal-El range for me.

• Like 1

Our lord and master has spoken

If general auds are as excited about #PixelsMovie as this preview crowd it's going to be huge.

— Keith Simanton (@IMDbKeith) July 21, 2015
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

So basically every single preview crowd for a movie ever. I had a fantastic crowd for Terminator Genisys, didn't really seem to help that movie.

• Like 1

Why are you even a fan?

Grew up on the guy like a lot of people did. As a fan, there have been things I've wanted to see him do, but it seems clear he doesn't have the balls to do those things. And in no universe did I want him to do Jack and Jill. While his recent output has been trash, Jack and Jill was the absolute nadir of that trash by a long shot, IMO.