Brave/Despicable Me: 237m/251m

Monsters U/Despicable Me 2: 300m/400m+

Talking cars vs orange fluffy creature

Scottishgirlwarrior vs yellow smooth creatures

Crazy monsters vs yellow smooth creatures

And i just don't want DM2 over IM3!

Edited by Gideon
  • Like 1

Despicable Me is the closest thing to a great movie they've produced but still not great per say. Illumination is building itself up as a brand-name like Pixar is. Audiences are starting to trust them.

Exactly... Shrek 2 adjusts to almost $600 million today - would people say that's better than Pixar solely because of the box office? Despicable Me 2 is just a funny 4 quadrant family movie so of course it was going to be huge. But Toy Story 3 was just as huge and I'm fairly confident Finding Dory has a chance to be just as huge.

But Illumination has 2 mediocre movies on their record - Hop and The Lorax. So they're not golden like Pixar or even DreamWorks post-HTTYD. But yes they're on the rise and making money while doing it.

If Pixar made Monsters U in 2005 or 2006 as opposed to this year, it would have gotten close to DM2, Shrek 2, and Toy Story 3 heights since the movie is quite popular - just a little too late.

Edited by mahnamahna

I don't think Illumination compares to Pixar pre-Cars 2 at all, but in terms of current box office power--that's where I think there's some growing validity to it.

DM - 250M

Lorax - 214M

DM2 - 300M+

Doesn't compare at all? This has been the best start for an animation brand since Pixar TS, BL, TS2

• Like 1

Despicable Me is the closest thing to a great movie they've produced but still not great per say. Illumination is building itself up as a brand-name like Pixar is. Audiences are starting to trust them.

Pixar started with great movies, I think everyone agrees with me that TS is miles better than DM. Also The Lorax had fvking bad legs for a animated movie, with  no competition.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 1

Exactly... Shrek 2 adjusts to almost $600 million today - would people say that's better than Pixar solely because of the box office? Despicable Me 2 is just a funny 4 quadrant family movie so of course it was going to be huge. But Toy Story 3 was just as huge and I'm fairly confident Finding Dory has a chance to be just as huge.

But Illumination has 2 mediocre movies on their record - Hop and The Lorax. So they're not golden like Pixar or even DreamWorks post-HTTYD. But yes they're on the rise and making money while doing it.

Hop shouldn't count. That wasn't run through Illumination's main animation studio (Mac Guff).

I still insist that Universal is using the minions to hypnotize people into seeing their animated films...  :ph34r:

Very true about DM2.

And we could make a parallel with the IceAge saga: Scrat used quite often in the marketing, more than the talking characters.

Hysterical cute sells.

Who has the rights to put HelloKitty or Pucca on drugs?

Pixar started with great movies, I think everyone agrees with me that TS is miles better than DM. Also The Lorax had fvking bad legs for a animated movie, with  no competition.

Internet fanboys, sure, but the broad GA would probably hold these films in comparable liking.

• Like 1

How much did u think DM2 would have to make in 5 days to have a shot at 400? 140 is an incredible start.

All about the legs and competition too. And... the latter looks pretty piss-poor. Weakest looking slate of July releases in years.

Edited by filmnerdjamie
  • Like 1

This mean iJack's head explodes? Its out-grossed Amazing Spider-Man now.

iJack will be fine as long as ASM keeps the worldwide record for reboots.

I'd be fine even if MoS did surpass TASM at the WW gross. It won't, but I would. With that said, I've always thought that MoS would beat TASM domestically this weekend:

My MOS prediction up to Jul 14th:Jun 24-30Mon 4.5m, Tue 5.2m, Wed 4.1m, Thur 3.7m, Fri 5.5m, Sat 7,1m, Sun 5.2m - 35,2m Total$245m DOMJul 1-7Mon 1.8m, Tue 2.3m, Wed 1.7m, Thur 2.4m, Fri 3.2m, Sat 3.9m, Sun 2.8m - 3.2 - 18,5m$263,5m DOMJul 8-14Mon $1.2m, Tue $1,5m, Wed $1,2m, Thur $1,1m, Fri $1,8m, Sat $2.5m, Sun $1.7m - 11mAfter July, 14th I have MOS around $274,5m.

Source: http://forums.boxoffice.com/index.php?/topic/7318-man-of-steel-the-official-thread-520m-ww/page-1316#entry897185

I underpredicted MoS, it's correct, but because its drops were leading me to think that way. it'll be way more close to $285m by the end of next weekend, and I'm very happy for that. 

It's looking like a 12.9m weekend:

3.9m Friday

4.8m Saturday

4.2m Sunday

I could see it making even more now, but that's a good guesstimate. 

Edited by iKent

How much did u think DM2 would have to make in 5 days to have a shot at 400? 140 is an incredible start.

Reading this makes me LOL even more about Epic.

About DM2: won't make 400M!

Don't we have Turbo & Smurfs2 around the corner?