Biggestgeekever

Wkend #s: 82.5 DM2, 29.4 TFR, 25 Heat, 19.6 MU

ok going to watch a film , haven't decide yet what...

i had soup tonight with tilapia fish  , and my sister is eating a hamburger with fries (ketchup and mayo) and  the scent is driving me crazyyyyyy need a distraction asap 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

ok going to watch a film , haven't decide yet what...

i had soup tonight with tilapia fish  , and my sister is eating a hamburger with fries (ketchup and mayo) and  the scent is driving me crazyyyyyy need a distraction asap 

Tilapia sounds delicious...

• Like 1

I LOVE the turn his career has taken. He's never gotten enough credit for smartly taking roles, but his streak (and upcoming hits--yes, they'll all be successful!) will really solidify it. I smell an Oscar nod in his near future.

That last scene with him and Dicaprio in the trailer for Wolf of Wallstreet was hilarious. I've always liked him.
  • Like 1

Just got back from DM2. I took 5 "kids", two 15 year olds, a 14, a 7, and a 12?. The theater was full, 8:25 showing, half Adults, half family/kids. Overall it was great! Very funny, though we had a tough crowd somewhat. Alot of LOL moments didnt get as huge reactions as I expected, but im going back in 2 weeks so hopefully itll be better. Oh and I found the story not as good as DM1, but the jokes were better, so overall it was about even with DM1, which is good!Kids ate it up, but as usual, they were irritating...why do kids have to state the obvious? The ice cream truck appeared and one kid goes "ice cream truck!" (and he sounded like he was atleast 7) and some kids behind me kept talking like on the playground about every little joke and people kept shooshing them, and a kid at the bottom kept screaming every now and then, and other kids laughed obnoxiously (like when a joke is funny, but its not THAT funny) those kind of laughs. It was pretty much expected though so I cant complain, but still great experience. Everyone had all smiles walking out and the theater was busy. Hoping this can defy some odds and be Shrek 2 of the 2010's, but regardless, itll be succesful. BEE-DO-BEE-DO!

Edited by jandrew

To be completely honest I still don't understand how Shrek 2 made what it did. 440m adjusst to over 600 million with 3d and inflation. I think it was just lightning in a bottle. I don't think it will ever be matched again until inflation and 3D catches up with it.

Edited by ban1o

• Founder / Operator

To be completely honest I still don't understand how Shrek 2 made what it did. 440m adjusst to almost 600 million with 3d. I think it was just lighning in a bottle. I don't think it will ever be matched again until inflation and 3D catches up with it.

A huge reason was that, back then, CG animated films weren't flooding the market. Now, there's one every month it seems.

Plus, the first movie was that well-loved. It changed the perception of what CG animation could be.

Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Lets do a little poll:

1. What do you think is the most underrated/overrated film of the year so far?

2. Best scene of the year so far

3. Best performance of the year so far

#1) The most underrated film I've seen so far this year is The Iceman. The most overrated film I've seen so far this year is Man of Steel Star Trek Into Darkness.

#2) Best scenes of the year so far:

- Rooney Mara preparing dinner in Side Effects

- Zachary Quinto beside a radiation chamber in Star Trek Into Darkness

- James Franco playing piano for a couple girls by the pool in Spring Breakers

- Leonardo DiCaprio's entrance with Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" playing in The Great Gatsby

- Andrea Riseborough's admission to being part of an ineffective team in Oblivion

- The ice cream social in Despicable Me 2

#3) Best performance I've seen so far this year was Tye Sheridan in Mud.

Edited by Andy Stitzer 2
  • Like 4

To be completely honest I still don't understand how Shrek 2 made what it did. 440m adjusst to almost 600 million with 3d. I think it was just lighning in a bottle. I don't think it will ever be matched again until inflation and 3D catches up with it.

1. The first was well recieved by kids and adults.2. Came out at the hayday of CG Animation3. Came out at the hayday of Myers and Diaz. Plus more Murphy as Donkey4. Was well recieved which helped WOM5. Shrek had just become a phenomenon, like the Minions now, and Shrek and Donkey was just brilliant.I can see why it made what it made. Shrek 2 and Shrek were absolutely hilarious, even mix of kids and adults jokes, and the stories were great. I wouldve rathered Shrek 1 make the $441M, but Shrek 2 being the titleholder I have no problem with.

To be completely honest I still don't understand how Shrek 2 made what it did. 440m adjusst to over 600 million with 3d and inflation. I think it was just lightning in a bottle. I don't think it will ever be matched again until inflation and 3D catches up with it.

Dreamworks Shrek was the edgy and hip anti-Disney/Pixar in those times, you know, rebels poking fun at fairytale classics as lame with a lot of fart jokes and real TV throwaways.

Edited by dashrendar44

#1) The most underrated film I've seen so far this year is The Iceman. The most overrated film I've seen so far this year is Man of Steel Star Trek Into Darkness.

#2) Best scenes of the year so far:

- Rooney Mara preparing dinner in Side Effects

- Zachary Quinto beside a radiation chamber in Star Trek Into Darkness

- James Franco playing piano for a couple girls by the pool in Spring Breakers

- Leonardo DiCaprio's entrance with Gershwin's "Rhapsody in Blue" playing in The Great Gatsby

- Andrea Riseborough's admission to being part of an ineffective team in Oblivion

- The ice cream social in Despicable Me 2

#3) Best performance I've seen so far this year was Tye Sheridan in Mud.

Posted ImagePosted Image

People underestimated the phenomenon it was with kids/teens at the time, same as they underestimated the phenomenon DM is with kids/teens today. Granted DM isn't quite on Shrek's level of popularity with that group, but I'd say it's the biggest thing to hit the kid market since Shrek. TS3 made what it did in large thanks to adult appeal.

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 1

People underestimated the phenomenon it was with kids/teens at the time, same as they underestimated the phenomenon DM is with kids/teens today. Granted DM isn't quite on Shrek's level of popularity with that group, but I'd say it's the biggest thing to hit the kid market since Shrek. TS3 made what it did in large thanks to adult appeal.

I think the Andy going to college plot was gold. TS came out and 1995 and 1999. It was 2 and 6 , so everyone from late 80's to early 90's was college/high school so that brought the sentimental aspect, and the story of going to college and having to leave precious things behind related well with most people. IMO TS3 wouldnt have came close to $400M if they used that storyline Buzz getting recalled. It just wouldnt have related, that was my favorite thing of TS3. And I was 16 so it hit closer to home.
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

I think the Andy going to college plot was gold. TS came out and 1995 and 1999. It was 2 and 6 , so everyone from late 80's to early 90's was college/high school so that brought the sentimental aspect, and the story of going to college and having to leave precious things behind related well with most people. IMO TS3 wouldnt have came close to $400M if they used that storyline Buzz getting recalled. It just wouldnt have related, that was my favorite thing of TS3. And I was 16 so it hit closer to home.

Absolutely agreed. Timing was on Pixar's side with TS3, and they took FULL advantage of it. It's not necessarily my favorite Toy Story movie, but at the same time, I'm not sure they could have hit it more out of the park with a second sequel in an animation series.

• Like 2

That was one of the best scenes I've seen the whole year, to be honest.

• Like 4

Ew, gross.I want him to keep making original stuff.

Agreed, but he's gonna take some franchise soon enough; it's just in the career trajectory he's on. Abrams has said he likes Johnson's films, and I'm pretty sure he'd be allowed to write if he got the job of directing. I'd love to see a Johnson-scripted Trek.

Oh, and on a random note, I just rewatched Spider-Man 2 for the first time in five years. Such a great superhero movie; still the best Spider-Man movie we've got, and it'll probably stay the same for awhile. So good

• Like 5