#ED

Wknd Est: DM2 - 44.7M ; GU2 - 42.5M; PR - 38.3M; Heat - 14M; TLR - 11.1M; MU - 10.6M (PG 100)

But that's how it works, companies do not report for financial profit or loss for each individual movie. They report quaterly with financial profit or loss for all their projects. Sure flops hurt their bottomline but it's not a risk free business and if you think about it the whole MCU was a huge gamble that paid off. It could have been the other way around, John Carter could have been a huge hit spawning several sequels and the MCU could have been met with disinterest.

This.

Remeber HBP delay from 2008 to 2009? It's because WB didn't need another almost a billion WW grosser in that year. They already turned the profit for 2008 (TDK and Hangover over-performance among other things) but they didn't have a sure-fire tentpole for 2009 for that cumulative "all projects" quarterly finacial report. hence moving the one that cnanot fail even if it tries to summer 2009.

• Like 1

Too bad you have to watch the movie to figure that out.

Most people don't check RT scores before heading to the movies.

That's where WB's marketing faltered. (And the fact that it was non-existent on TV until 10 days before release and the theatrical trailers missed some major opportunities.)

Commie sci-fi, lol.

I look forward to the Elysium bashing by Fox News and right wing radio.

Comedy gold.

I think Obama and Biden trying to conjure a competent thought without a teleprompter are the most hysterical sights to behold :P

P.S. How original to bash Fox News and right wing radio lol - couldn't write about Elysium giving Chris Matthews a tingle up his leg or making Ed Schultz get convulsions?

By the way, Matt Damon is incredibly overrated and the majority of his movies bomb at the box office. I'd say the Bourne Trilogy is the only times where he truly carried a film to box office success - every other hit of his had him in a supporting role.

I don't hate Elysium but don't act as if its OWS garbage is original.

What if RIPD break out?  :ph34r:

Well, that's too much to ask I guess considering it has Ryan Reynolds  :P

The trailers and TV spots have been everywhere for ages and get good reactions. I wouldn't be surprised one bit, as I've stated before.

Still what WB did to Pacific Rim is pathetic either way.

And what did they do? They gave it marketing push they thought was best possible for the movie. They did listen to coments and changed the last trailer into emphasizing human factor more.

If anyone's at fault here it's really GdT for not securing a big name for this, someone who'd take a pay cut in exchange for the % of the backend. Big stars do that all the time. WWZ wastly profited from "Pitt in a zombie movie" premise because it wasn't done before. DU profited from Leo the racist villain, again never done before.

Does Ryan Reynolds choose projects poorly or is he box office poison?I honestly can't tell anymore.

He chooses really bad projects. Trust me one of these days he's going to pick a good one and the movie will be a hit out of the park home run.

The trailers and TV spots have been everywhere for ages and get good reactions. I wouldn't be surprised one bit, as I've stated before.

I wouldn't be surprised either. I'm thinking about watching it myself, lol.

Yeah, I noticed that too, I was kinda half kidding about it in my post. 

Creative freedom isn't easily given (only to already proven boxoffice heavy-hitters) so there's no doubt GdT did not make PR with complete creative freedom. You bet your ass that if he had one he would populate those Jaegers with oddballs instead of generic cocky everyman, vendetta-driven warrior chick, tough but fair military honcho and science comic reliefs. That part totally smacks of studio boardroom "creativity". GdT's strength are oddball characters, not these servicable plot-forwarders.

Wait, why do you think Del Toro would avoid those obvious archetypes? He wasn't make a sequel to Pan's Labyrinth.

And what did they do? They gave it marketing push they thought was best possible for the movie. They did listen to coments and changed the last trailer into emphasizing human factor more.

If anyone's at fault here it's really GdT for not securing a big name for this, someone who'd take a pay cut in exchange for the % of the backend. Big stars do that all the time. WWZ wastly profited from "Pitt in a zombie movie" premise because it wasn't done before. DU profited from Leo the racist villain, again never done before.

It was not great marketing. People had no interest, the marketing only had a surge at the list minute, and it was too late by then.

It doesn’t matter anyway, we (or I) can complain all day about Warner Brothers “terrible marketing”, Pacific Rim still flopped, theirs nothing anything anyone can do about it.

Edited by Boxofficefanatic

Tarantino does it in general. He convinces huge stars to take pay cuts and star in his films because they're brilliant, and that gives his films commercial potential they wouldn't have otherwise. (That's also why Smith turned DU down, on the contrary to his own stupid explanation. it would have been more than just a star vehicle for him and he wasn't going to get this usual $25 million.)

This.

Remeber HBP delay from 2008 to 2009? It's because WB didn't need another almost a billion WW grosser in that year. They already turned the profit for 2008 (TDK and Hangover over-performance among other things) but they didn't have a sure-fire tentpole for 2009 for that cumulative "all projects" quarterly finacial report. hence moving the one that cnanot fail even if it tries to summer 2009.

Yup. One of the many reasons Disney won't schedule TA2 and SW7 for the same month, no matter what some fans say

He chooses really bad projects. Trust me one of these days he's going to pick a good one and the movie will be a hit out of the park home run.

he picks bad projects because he's hungry to become the leading man fast. So he signs up for everything that sounds like an easy commercial homerun. That's something that ruined many actors who don't want to pay their dues in smaller movies and smaller roles befoe moving onto bigger things (while making sure that bigger thing is actually a quality not a paychecker only). When you brekadown actor careers you'll see that very few have really well-managed ones.

• Like 1

Still what WB did to Pacific Rim is pathetic either way.

I know what you mean, but to me the concept was all wrong from the beginning. The whole concept of men powering a gigantic robot is stupid. So we have enough technology to build that freaking machines, but yet, we have to muscle the robot ourselves... it's like watching space ships powered by horses... :)

It's so like this:

Posted Image

but with hi tech gadgets.

• Like 1