Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

1) He's rude to fans2) His eyes are too close together3) A mediocre actor4) Slept his way to the top (yes,men do this too)5) Can't open a film.

How is he rude to his fans? In curious?Also I don't understand how someone not being able to open a film causes others to hate the guy, you have serious issues.
  • Like 1

Four of the biggest disappointments this summer were all non-sequels. If anything you will see more sequels. Not a bad thing in this particular case as RIPD bombing makes Wanted 2 more likely and I am all for it.

I agree. This was my main takeaway from the article and they are correct. If non-sequels are bombing domestically then studios have no reason to make them because sequels are even more lucrative in the overseas markets.

I am concerned about the “non-sequel” mantra.  It would be a shame if the likes of LR, PR, WHD and now RIPD discouraged the studios from going to untapped wells. Sequels and franchises are great, but they don't promote out of the box thinking. The problem with this summer's slate of non-sequels is not that they aren't part of a franchise, but that the general audience determined that they weren't worth their time or money.  NYSM is a non-sequel and its run has surprised and pleased many; proof that if you give the general audience something that not only looks good, but is good, while not insulting their sentiments, they will give the movie a chance and encourage others to do the same.

• Like 2

1) He's rude to fans

2) His eyes are too close together

3) A mediocre actor

4) Slept his way to the top (yes,men do this too)

5) Can't open a film.

This is laughable random hating.

So people hate him just because he stared in flopped movies.

• Like 1

Firedeep's talking about Ray's silly prediction.

I was talking about his statement that RIPD 13M is a slap to our members' face. I mean, come on, is that really something to be proud about? :lol:

Yeah, how is rr rude to fans? I just wanna know cos I love bitchy little stories like that.

Remember that time at Comic Con when Ryan Reynolds recited the Green Lantern Oath to a kid and got his hopes up for something awesome?

He broke that kid's heart with the movie in 2011. So rude.

• Like 7

Sure, $13M is nothing good.

But considering plenty here called sub 10M OW for quite a while before release. That means RIPD is destroying people's expectations by at least 30% percent.  :rolleyes:

That is a big deal ... 

Still a bomb though.  :P

Posted Image

I was talking about his statement that RIPD 13M is a slap to our members' face. I mean, come on, is that really something to be proud about? :lol:

No, it's not.

But sub 10m ow predictions were just too silly ... 

You simply dont get that low PTA to make that ow happen with 2800 theaters and $100m-plus production budget. That is like never happened.

I think you need to have a great concept and script and big names to be involved. I wouldn't give $200 + million for an original (non adaptation, brand or sequel) movie unless it had someone like Nolan, Cameron or Spielberg directing and famous names involved who can do the press arounds around the world.

I'd only give $150 + million if big names were involved  or for projects with good prerecognition (adaption of a big bestseller).

Reading and hearing production stories has made me aware how much money is being wasted in Hollywood by incompetent producers, directors who are not prepared enough by the time filming starts, endless script doctoring and insistence of building too much from the scratch. Besides the cost of a movie is not directly related to my enjoyment of it. Despicable Me movies cost less than $100 million, Iron Man was better than the sequels even with a much lower budget etc. Personally my favourite movies tend to come at the end of the year and cost much less than your average studio pic.

I understand what you're saying, but here is how the studios interpret it:

"great concept" = pre-existing material with as big a fanbase as possible

"script" = what the hell is that?

What drives the studio execs is fear. They want something with as few variables as possible. Creativity is a variable. Unknown property is a variable. Avoiding those two concepts doesn't mean success, but it means when you fail you can claim an excuse.

• Like 1

No, it's not.But sub 10m ow predictions were just too silly ... You simply dont get that low PTA to make that ow happen with 2800 theaters and $100m-plus production budget. That is like never happened.

Well, I'm not disagreeing with you about Ray's predictions (why do people still take him seriously though?) Who here called sub-10M btw?