Chewy

Weekend Estimates (starting pg 50) July 19-21

Early #s just came in, and oy: #RIPD may open w/ no more than $12m. #Turbo could also lose to #Red2, but they're both around $23m right now.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/r-i-p-d-is-latest-hollywood-bomb-1200565651/

“It’s a complete disaster,” one insider says of the costly feature.

Another analyst points out that “R.I.P.D.” is 10% behind “Scott Pilgrim vs. the World,” which only earned $10.5 million its opening weekend.

Thinking the TC is heading for 20m+ Fri way things are looking ,RFID around 5, Turbo/R2 7-8

Not looking like TC will get to 20m,

TC 17-18m,DM2 7.1,R2 6.5-8,GU2 6.4,Turbo 6.2,RFID 4.7-5,SR 4.6,TH 2.8,WWZ/MU 1.5, TFR 1.2

Edited by baumer
  • Like 1

Four of the biggest disappointments this summer were all non-sequels. If anything you will see more sequels. Not a bad thing in this particular case as RIPD bombing makes Wanted 2 more likely and I am all for it.

The Variety article is already building up a storyline for this summer:

Still, the chilly reception is a wake-up call for Hollywood. “R.I.P.D.” follows recent fiascoes “The Lone Ranger,” starring Johnny Depp, “Pacific Rim” and Will Smith’s “After Earth,” all of which were non-sequels.

Edited by grim22

I'm not surprised with that R.I.P.D number but good grief.  Whoever approved that concept for this kind of budget was insane anyway.  I don't think even with a good script and solid reviews this could have ever recouped the massive budget it had.

The Variety article is already building up a storyline for this summer:

I agree. This was my main takeaway from the article and they are correct. If non-sequels are bombing domestically then studios have no reason to make them because sequels are even more lucrative in the overseas markets.

Edited by TLK