RyneOh1040

Weekend Numbers

Probably not, but losing those Digital IMAX screens will still hurt a lot, make no mistake. There's what, maybe 60 real IMAX screens, while the other 300 or so are digital? Even TDKR kept the digital screens until Indy in middle September.

Actually in NYC. TDKR lost digital IMAX to RE5 for 2 weekends then every IMAX played TDKR again till The Hobbit(another WB movie).

The whole Kelting with Zod was an embarrassing idea. I get that they wanted to make exposition more watchable but it ended up worse. They sitll couldn't hide the fact it was expostion and one of the worst kind - both show and tell which sums up into redundant.

It's a Nolan world we live in. I have a gut feeling that'll backfire with Interstellar.

I would lick his boots anytime but I know the danger of fanaticism.

But...look at this guy's resume. No recent director has his track record:

MEMENTO, an indie sensation, a stunt, a high concept that works

INSOMNIA, high concept thriller, Robin Williams as villain, works in same murky morality play as MEMENTO, PRESTIGE

BATMAN BEGINS, probably the best superhero ever

PRESTIGE, this is one of those WTF movies, dueling magicians (is that a first?),

a Star Trek device

, one of my favorite movies of all time, you can dissect this movie any which way and you will come across something interesting

THE DARK KNIGHT, nuff said

INCEPTION, an insanely high concept movie that defies genre & categories, one that Warner Bros actually green-lighted despite marketing headache.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, people love it less, I say the first half, up until the silly street brawl and the sillier vehicular chase (which Nolan clearly shows no interest because it is so uninteresting and overlong) is an impressive drama of Titanic struggle to regain one's purpose in life

I mean look the consistency of quality in this guy's work....

• Founder / Operator

I think there's a strong argument for MM being a sizable factor for the movie. He's always been a strong draw among women and his career is in the middle of a major resurgence thanks to Mud, Magic Mike, Killer Joe, and probably Wolf of Wall Street. The timing couldn't be more perfect for him and Interstellar.

Not to mention that, before Inception, even Leo was only a significant "draw" in Scorsese films.

Edited by ShawnMR

Actually in NYC. TDKR lost digital IMAX to RE5 for 2 weekends then every IMAX played TDKR again till The Hobbit(another WB movie).

I can't imagine this scenario happening because Hunger Games is going to draw a lot more sales than RE5 ever did compared to TDKR. Theaters probably ran their contract for 2 weeks for RE5 and reverted back because legs for RE5 were poor, but I doubt this will be the case with Hunger Games.

I'm all on the Interstellar train, but this November date means it's going to be an a-typical thing for Nolan. Luckily, Inception didn't feature any IMAX footage and didn't necessarily rely on it to succeed, so hopefully it happens again here.

I would lick his boots anytime but I know the danger of fanaticism.

But...look at this guy's resume. No recent director has his track record:

MEMENTO, an indie sensation, a stunt, a high concept that works

INSOMNIA, high concept thriller, Robin Williams as villain, works in same murky morality play as MEMENTO, PRESTIGE

BATMAN BEGINS, probably the best superhero ever

PRESTIGE, this is one of those WTF movies, dueling magicians (is that a first?),

a Star Trek device

, one of my favorite movies of all time, you can dissect this movie any which way and you will come across something interesting

THE DARK KNIGHT, nuff said

INCEPTION, an insanely high concept movie that defies genre & categories, one that Warner Bros actually green-lighted despite marketing headache.

THE DARK KNIGHT RISES, people love it less, I say the first half, up until the silly street brawl and the sillier vehicular chase (which Nolan clearly shows no interest because it is so uninteresting and overlong) is an impressive drama of Titanic struggle to regain one's purpose in life

I mean look the consistency of quality in this guy's work....

Every director has a clunker eventually. Nolan has never really failed me, but I'm always prepared. Sometimes, a stinker can be good. A good director would learn from that experience and then make something better.

• Like 1

WB and Paramount made an exclusive IMAX deal. Who knows if MJ1 will have an IMAX opening to begin with?Either way, any film that has actual IMAX footage always has a long run on IMAX screens.(3-4 months)

MockingJay is filming with REAL IMAX? I think The Hunger Games was released on IMAX 2 weeks after the movies release date. I could be wrong. Either way, WB would only lose digital IMAX screens if MJ1 opens in IMAX. It won't take real IMAX screens away.

Actually Catching Fire was partly filmed in IMAX I think, with that in mind it's only reasonable that they would do more IMAX footage with each subsequent film. So Interstellar and MJ2 will be in a curious situation if each is filmed partly in real IMAX.

WB and Paramount made an exclusive IMAX deal. Who knows if MJ1 will have an IMAX opening to begin with?Either way, any film that has actual IMAX footage always has a long run on IMAX screens.(3-4 months)

Star Trek into Darkness says hi.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Actually Catching Fire was partly filmed in IMAX I think, with that in mind it's only reasonable that they would do more IMAX footage with each subsequent film. So Interstellar and MJ2 will be in a curious situation if each is filmed partly in real IMAX.

Split showtimes seems likely, but if not, I think the advantage will go to Interstellar if only because of WB's history with the IMAX format. Unfortunately for us, having native IMAX footage doesn't always guarantee a long run (see STID this summer). There's just too much demand for too few screens now.

Star Trek into Darkness says hi.

STID had about 20 minutes of real IMAX. Da fuq? Not to mention this Summers scheduling in movies was horrid.

http://collider.com/interstellar-imax-christopher-nolan/Christopher Nolan shot 28 minutes of The Dark Knight with IMAX cameras. He followed with 72 minutes of IMAX footage for The Dark Knight Rises. We learned with the release date announcement that his next project, Interstellar, is destined for IMAX. At CinemaCon tonight, Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Entertainment, revealed Nolan will shoot a significant portion of Interstellar with IMAX cameras. I imagine Nolan wants to test the limits of the technology and film as much of this “heroic interstellar voyage to the furthest reaches of our scientific understanding” as possible in his ideal format. We will see if he can push it to 100 minutes or more this time around and—fingers crossed—shoot an entire feature film in IMAX in the near future.

STID had about 20 minutes of real IMAX. Da fuq? Not to mention this Summers scheduling in movies was horrid.

Most movies in general only have 25 minutes or so filmed in real IMAX. Including TDK. Rises is the lone exception, I hope he will be returning to select sequences, not what he did with Rises, because it was too jarring switching between IMAX and 35mm.

Edited by Carlos Danger

Most movies in general only have 25 minutes or so filmed in real IMAX. Including TDK. Rises is the lone exception, I hope he will be returning to select sequences, not what he did with Rises, because it was too jarring switching between IMAX and 35mm.

Most likely. TDK stayed in IMAX for a long time because there weren't too many IMAX films in 2008.