CJohn

Avatar: Fire and Ash | December 19, 2025 | RIP Jon Landau

3 minutes ago, Elessar said:

James Cameron:

Interesting...

He already announced a year ago or so that he was halfway through writing Terminator reboot that would focus on AI more than others movies in the franchise.

Edited by TomThomas

16 minutes ago, TomThomas said:

He already announced a year ago or so that he was halfway through writing Terminator reboot that would focus on AI more than others movies in the franchise.

I would never turn down a James Cameron directed movie but reboot? Sigh...

He should do the frigging future war movie, have been saying this for years. Obviously, he doesn't seem to be interested in this. Instead, a machine in disguise goes back in time to kill somebody, AGAIN!

Anyway, this reboot will never get made. Probably...

Edited by Elessar

When trying to use A2 as a metric for prediction for A3's box office potential we need to be mindful of the limiting factors in play in December 2022.

North America and Europe were still recovering from Covid at the time and many people were still too scared to go to the cinema, probably looking around a 20-30% decrease in attendance in these Markets.

Then A2's potential biggest market in China was knee-capped completely and made just a portion of what it could have.

In a non-covid timeline the sky was the limit, who knows maybe the 3 billies would have been hit (I think so).

It's logical to conclude that the market at the time of A2's release shaved off hundreds of millions of dollars, even the biggest Avatar hater who is literate in box office will agree on that.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 1
  • Heart 1

Yep Jimbo, and all those factors against A2 is the reason why A3 will gross more than A2,. at least worldwide.

Most on here will expect it to drop from A2 but a full China alone will mean that A3 could even drop slightly from A2 in all other markets and still gross more WW.

I still feel with a full China, and further away from the pandemic, A2 would of been the first film to hit 3bil WW.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

When trying to use A2 as a metric for prediction for A3's box office potential we need to be mindful of the limiting factors in play in December 2022.

North America and Europe were still recovering from Covid at the time and many people were still too scared to go to the cinema, probably looking around a 20-30% decrease in attendance in these Markets.

Then A2's potential biggest market in China was knee-capped completely and made just a portion of what it could have.

In a non-covid timeline the sky was the limit, who knows maybe the 3 billies would have been hit (I think so).

It's logical to conclude that the market at the time of A2's release shaved off hundreds of millions of dollars, even the biggest Avatar hater who is literate in box office will agree on that.

I'm pretty sure  I am the biggest hater here. ( I'm still not the biggest hater I know that goes to my twin. He thinks James Cameron has 0 good movies and is a complete hack.) I saw it coming years away. 

I think A3 will drop domestically. But rise overseas

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Reddroast said:

I'm pretty sure  I am the biggest hater here. ( I'm still not the biggest hater I know that goes to my twin. He thinks James Cameron has 0 good movies and is a complete hack.) I saw it coming years away. 

I think A3 will drop domestically. But rise overseas

Yeah the America market is sad but conditions on track to be much much better for Dec 2025 than they were for Dec 2022. So even if the interest is less for this movie in America, which I don't think it would be, it could still outgross A2.

1 hour ago, marveldcfox said:

This is only 12 pages. Avatar 2 thread was the longest thread ever. 

Actually, the longest thread for a single movie is the BvS one. As for why this thread has so few pages, that’s because the bulk of the Avatar discussions on these forums were on the Avatar 2 thread. 

Avatar 3 just finished its pick-ups. Kiri will be in all rest sequels.

DEADLINE: A decade after that you returned to work with Jim Cameron on Avatar. Despite his track record, and your own, you must have been slightly taken aback by the unprecedented level of success for that film?

WEAVER: I remember reading the script of the first Avatar and reading about these blue people with pointed ears and tails riding on these creatures through floating mountains … I couldn’t imagine any of it being shot. I honestly couldn’t imagine how he would ever make a film that looked like this and had these elements. But I’m so glad for Jim, and for the success of these films, which has meant we’re able to keep making them. I just finished working on Avatar 3 earlier this month, actually, and I think the series will continue to grow and be more and more hard-hitting…

DEADLINE: So you haven’t started working on four and five yet?

WEAVER: They’re written. We know what they are. They’re really good. But Jim is still finishing three. It’s nice to look forward to them.

DEADLINE: And you’ll be present in Avatar four and five, we assume?

WEAVER: Yes, I think I’m allowed to say that.

• Like 1

Avatar 3 will make tons of money. But you won't hear a lot of 'Biggest Money Maker Of All TIme' Predictions, except from the mor extreme Cameron fanboys.

I am not a Cameron  fanboy or a Cameron Hater,I think he has a mixed record as far as the artistic worth of his movies go.

I actually think Avatar was one of his weaker films;not as much fun as his earlier ones, and IMHO failed to suceed as a more serious movie due to his preaching in the movie.