Sims

Boxoffice.com's Top 100 Films of All Time 2013: THE RESULTS (final list in OP)

I find it funny the 5 out of 8 of Nolan's movies made the list and his fans still find a way to complain.

Spielberg has been working since the 70's and just barely beat Nolan by only 2 more movies with a total of 7.

I don't agree with some of Nolan's films making the top 100 list, but The Prestige is brilliant and a step ahead of any of his Batman work IMO.

I know right, not a single Kurosawa film? 

Ikuru, Seven Samurai, Hell even The Hidden Fortress. This is film. Not some PotC crap.

Not so much Kurosawa, but this is a serious point. People are only seeing the canned, blockbusters now and have forgotten that the true gems lie in the small films. They bring higher highs, greater peaks, bigger cries, and larger cheers than anything those Hollywood clones can bring. 

Half? Only for people who haven't seen anything that's made less than a splash at the BO. 

You expect there to be a general consensus on movies that were obscure, limited releases or came out when FDR was president.

Not everyone has time to watch every Kurosawa movie but everyone has seen Empire Strikes Back.

• Like 3

You expect there to be a general consensus on movies that were obscure, limited releases or came out when FDR was president.

Not everyone has time to watch every Kurosawa movie but everyone has seen Empire Strikes Back.

I think that there has been a general trend progressing towards sequels, cookie-cutter movies, and etc. A lot of the movies on my list aren't even really obscure ones. Something like The Deer Hunter was actually one of the most watched movies of its year and it's a very lamentable fact that those things don't happen anymore. There's been a shift in mood and values towards shit. 

I watch all kinds of movies riczhang so what you say now

Lies. Even I don't say I watch all kinds of movies. But you and the rest of the forums really needs to be more eclectic from time period to form to language to subject to budget and everything else. 

Edited by riczhang

I think that there has been a general trend progressing towards sequels, cookie-cutter movies, and etc. A lot of the movies on my list aren't even really obscure ones. Something like The Deer Hunter was actually one of the most watched movies of its year and it's a very lamentable fact that those things don't happen anymore. There's been a shift in mood and values towards shit. 

THE DEER HUNTER isn't that great though. :ph34r:

THE DEER HUNTER isn't that great though. :ph34r:

I disagree, but it is just an example. Saving Private Ryan, Kramer vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Tootsie, The Sting, and etc. were all very high grossers. That doesn't happen anymore.  Off the top of my head I can tell you that Tootsie made 177 million dollars in 1982 and was the 2nd grosser of the year. Lincoln made only 182, 30 years later. And Lincoln is a once in a decade phenomenon 

Edited by riczhang

I disagree, but it is just an example. Saving Private Ryan, Kramer vs. Kramer, Ordinary People, Tootsie, The Sting, and etc. were all very high grossers. That doesn't happen anymore. 

I know. The counter-arguments for that are movies like Black Swan, True Grit, King's Speech, Lincoln, Django, etc. I agree in general with what you're saying -- that studios are increasingly throwing the majority of their effort behind teen-oriented action/fantasy/superhero stuff -- but that's been happening ever since Star Wars.

• Like 2

Lies. Even I don't say I watch all kinds of movies. But you and the rest of the forums really needs to be more eclectic from time period to form to language to subject to budget and everything else.

Now now you may have insulted him a little bit
  • Like 1