Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

35 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

No. Indiana Jones is different. He isn’t 007. I’m sure that 10 to 20 years from now we will get a reboot. Right now though? Let Harrison Ford do his thing. He definitely still can pull it off one last time and become Red Hulk in the MCU even as an octogenarian.

He already couldn't pull it off for Indy IV and you think he can when he's much older? 

9 hours ago, Boxx93 said:

Nightmare Alley: Everything to Know About the Bradley Cooper Film

Bradley Cooper in Nightmare Alley looks like 40 year old Harrison Ford in Raiders.

Which is weird because that is very obviously not the age the character is written to be. Tyrone Power was 32 when the original was filmed and the book says Clem is 21 in  their equivalent of this scene. Like Ford in Crystal Skull, Cooper really was too old for this role.

I disagree with that. Ford was playing the age of the character that he’s always played, it’s not like he was 60+ playing a role in a script that was written for a 30 year old which is what Cooper was doing in Nightmare Alley (not that anyone questioned that while watching it). Yeah he was fairly active in Crystal Skull, but reaching 60 doesn’t automatically turn you into an invalid. He played the age of the character as it was written in Crystal Skull, which is what he seems to be doing here too given the comments he’s made about wanting to play Indy as an old man.

People need to get over this “he’s too old” complaint, unless he’s running away from a boulder in this one faster than he did in Raiders then we should just accept that the character has aged. Plus, it’s a movie in a franchise where there’s centuries old knights guarding magical cups and magic arks that cause Nazi’s heads to explode. An old man still being an archaeologist isn’t that far out of the realms of possibility…

• Like 5

47 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I disagree with that. Ford was playing the age of the character that he’s always played, it’s not like he was 60+ playing a role in a script that was written for a 30 year old which is what Cooper was doing in Nightmare Alley (not that anyone questioned that while watching it). Yeah he was fairly active in Crystal Skull, but reaching 60 doesn’t automatically turn you into an invalid. He played the age of the character as it was written in Crystal Skull, which is what he seems to be doing here too given the comments he’s made about wanting to play Indy as an old man.

People need to get over this “he’s too old” complaint, unless he’s running away from a boulder in this one faster than he did in Raiders then we should just accept that the character has aged. Plus, it’s a movie in a franchise where there’s centuries old knights guarding magical cups and magic arks that cause Nazi’s heads to explode. An old man still being an archaeologist isn’t that far out of the realms of possibility…

People want Indy films to see Indy kick ass. They do not watch it to see him "play his age". The ones who need to accept that is the filmmakers and Harrison Ford, either they give the audience what they want or they can enjoy their red ink. No one wants to watch Indy films cause they hope Ford can win an Oscar.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

People want Indy films to see Indy kick ass. They do not watch it to see him "play his age". The ones who need to accept that is the filmmakers and Harrison Ford, either they give the audience what they want or they can enjoy their red ink. No one wants to watch Indy films cause they hope Ford can win an Oscar.

Nobody is expecting an Indy film to win an Oscar. Most people watch them because Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. Watch how much further the box office falls when he’s inevitably not the one playing the character. I’d much rather have an “old Indy” adventure over someone else playing the character. 

I don’t really care how old he is, if he’s still able to walk and crack a whip, I’m fine with it. There’s nothing wrong with a character ageing.

Edited by SnokesLegs
  • Like 2

59 minutes ago, scytheavatar said:

I want an Indiana Jones film with Indiana Jones in it. That’s what I’m getting in a few weeks, and i’m hyped af about it. 

he’s always been about the archaeology and culture of the relics he’s researching anyway. The action (Doom aside) has always been pretty much him hanging on for dear life, but able to take a swing.  Do I believe an 80 year old Harrison Ford could kick anyone’s ass? Absolutely.  As this character? - 100%. He is Indiana Jones. Accept no substitutes. I’ve never wanted a recast. Just do a new character.

Edited by wildphantom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Whiners in 2018 when Solo came and went. 

”we don’t want anyone else playing Han Solo”

Whiners in 2023 when Indy is almost here 

“we don’t want an old Indy! Recast him!”

Whiners if they’d recast him..

”there’s only one Indiana Jones! Why did they do this?”

FML. The internet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Making an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford would’ve looked no less cynical than having an 80 year old Harrison Ford play the character, but in a different way. Who even wants to see an Indiana Jones movie where he’s played by someone else? 

1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Whiners in 2018 when Solo came and went. 

”we don’t want anyone else playing Han Solo”

Whiners in 2023 when Indy is almost here 

“we don’t want an old Indy! Recast him!”

Absolutely nobody wanted a Han Solo movie at all, period. It doesn't matter who played him. That movie sucked ass. That movie bombed hard. End of story. 

Also making a Solo movie right after you KILLED Solo in The Force Awakens was tone deaf AF

Edited by Boxx93
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Making an Indiana Jones movie without Harrison Ford would’ve looked no less cynical than having an 80 year old Harrison Ford play the character, but in a different way. Who even wants to see an Indiana Jones movie where he’s played by someone else? 

This is just an excuse to not watch a movie; no one complains when Batman and Spider-Man are played by different actors.

7 minutes ago, Willowra said:

This is just an excuse to not watch a movie; no one complains when Batman and Spider-Man are played by different actors.

The difference is that Harrison Ford is the one who made Indiana Jones what he is. The character is synonymous with him. There have been plenty of characters inspired by Indiana Jones, but there’s only one Harrison Ford. 

• Like 4