lab276

How to ruin going to the movies

But people would willingly go into these theaters. No one is forcing you to go.  I wouldn't go either and I would welcome it if it will get people out of my theater who are there to use their phones.  I think it's a great idea.

I couldn't agree more.  People are already paying full price to NOT see movies when they go in the theater because they are playing on their phones. Right now they are ruining it for others.

So let them have their theater where they can be on their computers or phones all they want and hopefully that makes the other theaters better for the rest of us.  This way everyone can be happy.

• Like 1

I don't get why you guys are so against it.  It would cater to those who want to be able to do it.  You don't have to go to that theater.  That's what makes it brilliant.  

I think its the stupidest fucking idea ever. 

I hate people like that, ever show a friend a movie to only have him miss the best shot, or miss the set up for the future twist because he is texting or dicking around? 

At home I get it, you can pause it, take a break, eat, but imagine sitting in a theater like this paying $12.50 to only pay half attention? No one would go and pay that ,I don't think they could fill the seats. Those type of people download it online or wait til Blu-Ray anyways.

Even if you did go, whats gonna stop people from making shit tons of noise, there computers going off and phones buzzing. Even if you wanted to only pay half attention the half the time your looking at the screen you wouldn't be able to hear it. This concept would NEVER work sorry to those who think it would. 

But why would you go to one of these theaters in the first place?  It's not for you.  So why would it bother you so much if it is open?  Clearly the people who do go want to be there.  It's kind of like homophobia in ways.  You aren't gay so it bothers you that someone is. Why do you care what they do behind closed doors?  Doesn't affect you and no one is telling you that you have to be gay.  Same with this.  No one is telling you that you have to go to these theaters.

On 8/7/2013 at 4:58 PM, tiffybaumer said:

But why would you go to one of these theaters in the first place?  It's not for you.  So why would it bother you so much if it is open?  Clearly the people who do go want to be there.  It's kind of like homophobia in ways.  You aren't gay so it bothers you that someone is. Why do you care what they do behind closed doors?  Doesn't affect you and no one is telling you that you have to be gay.  Same with this.  No one is telling you that you have to go to these theaters.

Edited by Jay Hollywood

One defense I have seen a few people make is saying "Well, in India people watch movies while talking". As an Indian, that stance makes me mad, so let me take a few seconds to provide a rebuttal.

First, I will concede the point that in India people talk, dance and whistle during movies and movie going is as much of a communal experience as going to someone's wedding is. However, the audiences for Indian movies have come to watch the movie first and foremost, they will whistle when the Hero makes his entry, they will dance along with the songs and they will whistle when the hero fights off a million henchmen of the villain - they will do all of this but they won't miss the movie. After the movie is done, they will recite the dialogues, they will talk about their favorite scenes, they will discuss the performances of their favorite heroes - but most importantly, during the movie they will never tread on you enjoying a movie.

I have watched Salman Khan and Rajinikanth movies on opening day with the rowdiest crowds possible and guess what, they are the best movie watchers possible. They have come there to support their favorite hero, they are most likely the daily wage laborers who have saved money to watch this movie on opening day and enjoy themselves while doing so. Yes, they will dance with the songs, but they will do it in the aisle so that the people watching the movie have an uninterrupted view. Yes, they will hoot when the hero comes on screen, but they will quiet down so that everyone can here the "Punch" dialogues uttered by the hero. I would much rather watch a movie with this crowd which genuinely loves movies and is there for the communal experience than I would watch one with someone who would be texting and updating his/her blog from the theater.

I cannot understand why some people cannot keep themselves away from a phone or a tablet for just the duration of a movie (150 minutes at most). Are they a surgeon who is on call or something?

• Like 3

No. No. No. No. No. (infanity no's later).....No. No. No.NOOOOO!

If this ever happend to my theater, you can kiss my money goodbye. I won't step into any theater like that.

IT WOULDN'T BE IN YOUR THEATER.  HAVE READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS GONE THE WAY OF THE DO DO BIRD? 

It would be in a theater where people voluntarily went to participate in these things.  Your theater would not be subjected to this.

• Like 1

IT WOULDN'T BE IN YOUR THEATER.  HAVE READING COMPREHENSION SKILLS GONE THE WAY OF THE DO DO BIRD? It would be in a theater where people voluntarily went to participate in these things.  Your theater would not be subjected to this.

But it does two things; take up space and legitimise that kind of behaviour. I wouldn't give my money to a theatre even if they were separate screens.

This is a good idea for people who's job entails then to always have their phone on them. Sure it won't suit everyone, but some people simply can't just walk into a cinema for 2 hours with their mobile phones off. It's not rude, sometimes people just work more than others.

But it does two things; take up space and legitimise that kind of behaviour. I wouldn't give my money to a theatre even if they were separate screens.

That's pretty much it. If there's a extra screen of Wolverine for jerks on their phones, there's no space for Fruitvale Station or Blue Jasmine to play.