Fake

Indian Box Office Thread | Jawan overtakes Pathaan, becomes highest grossing Indian movie of 2023

On 7/18/2016 at 5:14 PM, keysersoze123 said:

So JB is no longer the biggest hit in India. Do we ever see an year where hollywood movies could beat bollywood for the year's biggest?

It's practically impossible for the next 4-5 years at least..... every year's top grosser is bound to be from one Khan or another.

After that, maybe, since all the Khans would be 55+ and too old..... and no star from the younger generation has such star power.... and Hollywood movies get popular in more Tier-II and Tier-III cities... maybe an appropriate film (e.g. Avatar 2) combined with a weak Bollywood roster could do it.

• Like 2

Been a very shitty year for Bollywood so far. Apart from Sultan, Rustom and Airlift no movie has become a super-hit. Neerja and Baaghi did well in some pockets but not all-India level. 

Jungle Book was huge from Hollywood becoming the biggest Hollywood movie in history. Deadpool, BvS, Civil War, Apocalypse and Suicide Squad all did really well and lived up to pre-release expectations. Conjuring 2 turned out to be a big hit as well.

Of upcoming movies, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil looks the most promising to be a hit and has a good release date as well. Rock On 2 should match the first movie in metros, Befikre and Dangal should end the year on a high hopefully. Dark horse contenders are M.S. Dhoni, Shivaay, Dear Zindagi and Kahani 2.

On the Hollywood side, Fantastic Beasts should do well, Dr. Strange will find it tough in the Diwali release corridor with heavy competition from both Bollywood and local releases, Rogue One will be a non-factor judging by how badly TFA flopped in India. Don't see any other movie breaking through the clutter. I think Kong will be big next year as it is a known brand and previous Godzilla and Kong movies have done well in India.

• Like 3

2016 for Bollywood so far: 

All Time Blockbuster: 

Sultan - 300.67 cr

Super Hit: 

Airlift - 123.46 cr

Rustom - 123.88 cr

Hits: 

Housefull 3 - 108 cr

Baaghi - 76 cr

Neerja - 72 cr

Kapoor and Sons - 69 cr

Above Average/Semi Hit: 

Dishoom - 67 cr

Ki & Ka - 52 cr 

Pink and MS Dhoni are currently running in cinemas and will probably emerge hits.

Films left to release in 2016: 

Mirziya - will flop 

Rock On 2 - will flop 

Ae Dil Hai Mushkil & Shivaay - Diwali clash

Force 2 - John Abraham doing action 

Dear Zindagi - Alia Bhatt with SRK supporting role

Kahaani 2 - Vidya Balan, prequel was a big hit

Befikre - Ranveer Singh + Adi Chopra directing 

Dangal - AAMIR KHAN on Christmas, enough said

3 hours ago, Ash Skywalker said:

Anybody seeing DEAR ZINDAGI today?

Maybe on Friday.

Been a quiet few months post Sultan. Pink was a super hit but was limited to metros mainly, MS Dhoni opened well but didn't have legs but it became a hit thanks to the opening.

Recent sequels have nosedived. Rock On was one of my favorite movies of 2009 but the sequel was just bad. Tum Bin was a good movie, Tum Bin 2 was horrible, Force 2 had a good OD but collapsed post that. No idea why they are making sequels to movies which were barely hits. Have a feeling Kahani 2 will join that pile as well.

In the next 4 weeks we have Dear Zindagi which looks like it will do well in metros mainly, Befikre which I am having trouble getting a gauge on - looks like Neil and Nikki reloaded but has Ranveer Singh who is a genuine draw now, and Dangal which should do well over Christmas.

21 hours ago, grim22 said:

Maybe on Friday.

Been a quiet few months post Sultan. Pink was a super hit but was limited to metros mainly, MS Dhoni opened well but didn't have legs but it became a hit thanks to the opening.

Recent sequels have nosedived. Rock On was one of my favorite movies of 2009 but the sequel was just bad. Tum Bin was a good movie, Tum Bin 2 was horrible, Force 2 had a good OD but collapsed post that. No idea why they are making sequels to movies which were barely hits. Have a feeling Kahani 2 will join that pile as well.

In the next 4 weeks we have Dear Zindagi which looks like it will do well in metros mainly, Befikre which I am having trouble getting a gauge on - looks like Neil and Nikki reloaded but has Ranveer Singh who is a genuine draw now, and Dangal which should do well over Christmas.

BO aside quality wise Sultan is okay-good. I was kinda disappointed with MS Dhoni, the first half was excellent while the 2nd half was made commercially.. it could have been way better. 
Haven't seen Pink,Rock on 2,tum bin whattt? But following BO. seems like a dry 2016 to be honest not many good movies or BO busters
My only watch after Dear Zindagi gonna be Dangal. 

And for future releases & sequels situation you are spot on!

37 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Trailer for Raes was great.

Guaranteed Superhit 

It's going to break the single day trailer views record for Bollywood movies on YouTube. Trailer looks really good, and can't wait for the Nawazuddin-SRK face off in the movie. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, grim22 said:

It's going to break the single day trailer views record for Bollywood movies on YouTube. Trailer looks really good, and can't wait for the Nawazuddin-SRK face off in the movie. 

10 million views in 24 hours for a Hollywood movie would be huge 

A lot of buzz for movies like Befikre or other Hollywood Copycats, but I prefer more 'desi' movies like Raaes and I live overseas. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

41 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

10 million views in 24 hours for a Hollywood movie would be huge 

A lot of buzz for movies like Befikre or other Hollywood Copycats, but I prefer more 'desi' movies like Raaes and I live overseas. 

It looks like it will hit 14-15M in 24 hours. That is humongous for a Bollywood movie. This was a well coordinated trailer release, hopefully the movie will deliver as well.

• Like 2

Loved the Raees trailer. Haven't been this excited for a Srk movie in years. Took me by surprise just how entertaining it was, as I was expecting something with a less commerical approach. But I trust in Dholakia to find the right balance :) Oh and Shah is rocking that kohl look :wub:

Just wished it wasn't clashing with Kaabil. Such a movie deserves a solo release :(

Edited by pepper83

On 23/11/2016 at 11:10 PM, grim22 said:

Maybe on Friday.

Ranveer is singh aint a draw hes in right movies! Hes like chris pratt 

Watched Befikre and am now wondering WTF did I just watch?? 

Imtiaz Ali movie remakes seem to be in vogue. First KJo remakes Rockstar as Ae Dil Hai Mushkil, Gauri Shinde borrows the basic idea of Tamasha for Dear Zindagi and now Adi Chopra remakes Love Aaj Kal as Befikre. At least use the ideas from his better movies like Socha Na Tha and Jab We Met instead.