rukaio101

The Anime Thread- Summer 2015

Well, Summer's now coming up and we've got a wealth of interesting shows coming. And even more shows that look like otaku-pandering moeblob crap. Joy.

https://www.livechart.me/summer-2015/tv

In terms of returning shows I'm going to be following, there's DBZ Super (obviously), Durarara (also obviously) and Gatchaman Crowds (since I enjoyed the first season enough (even if they completely fucked up with the ending.))

As for original shows, the ones that interest me the most are Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace and God Eater (although that's solely because of Ufotable). I'm also kinda intrigued by the premises of Joukamachi no Dandelion and Rokka no Yuusha, so I'm willing to at least give them a few episodes. Gangsta I get the feeling could be either really good or really shit, but I'll also give it a chance.

Anyone else interested in any upcoming shows?

• Like 1

I implore any anime watchers here to watch Steins;Gate. Probably the best time travel story I've seen anywhere including books and other media. It just requires a lot of patience to go through for the first half, when it is basically setting things up. After you finish the series though, probability that it'll be in your top 10 list is over 95%. :P

I implore any anime watchers here to watch Steins;Gate. Probably the best time travel story I've seen anywhere including books and other media. It just requires a lot of patience to go through for the first half, when it is basically setting things up. After you finish the series though, probability that it'll be in your top 10 list is over 95%. :P

Steins Gate is fantastic, a must watch for anyone who loves science fiction.

Promising summer anime

-God Eater

-Choas Dragon

-Charlotte

-Gangsta

-Gate

-Prison School

-Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

-Every Day Life with Monster Girls

-Ushio and Tora

Edited by eXtacy

Steins Gate is fantastic, a must watch for anyone who loves science fiction.

Promising summer anime

-God Eater

-Choas Dragon

-Charlotte

-Gangsta

-Gate

-Prison School

-Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers

-Every Day Life with Monster Girls

-Ushio and Tora

I'm not so sure about the bolded. Charlotte and Gate were setting off a lot of internal alarms for me of the Otaku-pandering, harem, wish fufillment, moeblob kind. Especially Gate. And Chaos Dragon looks like its going to be the sort of series so overloaded with exposition that it'll be near impossible to follow. I might check out the first few episodes in case I'm wrong, but my expectations aren't very high.

I'm not so sure about the bolded. Charlotte and Gate were setting off a lot of internal alarms for me of the Otaku-pandering, harem, wish fufillment, moeblob kind. Especially Gate. And Chaos Dragon looks like its going to be the sort of series so overloaded with exposition that it'll be near impossible to follow. I might check out the first few episodes in case I'm wrong, but my expectations aren't very high.

Choas Dragon is a type moon (like the Fate Zero series) novel with one of the writers being Gen Urobuchi, he created my favorite anime Psycho Pass, which tells me this will be a good. I have read Gates first 40 chapters and its really good. It could be adapted poorly since it does cover a lot of sensitive issues involving war such as rape, slavery and pillaging, there's also politics involved. So depending how much is censored or removed all together this one could go either way. Charlotte seems to be a flagship of PA Works this year so it will be at least decent.

Edited by eXtacy

So far these are worth watching

1. Gate

2. Gangsta

3. Boring Place Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Does Not Exist

4. Rokka Yuusha

5. Ushio and Tora

6. Snow White with the Red Hair

7. Charlotte

Edited by eXtacy

Ugh, I have so many shows I need to catch up on. So far I've only been able to keep up with Gangsta (which I'm enjoying a lot), God Eater (which is as visually gorgeous as you'd expect from Ufotable, but a bit clumsy on character and plot), Rokka no Yuusha (which was fun if forgettable) and Gakkou Gurashi (which gets my award for most unexpectedly good show this season.) I haven't even had a chance to start Gate, Charlotte or Ushio and Tora yet.

I did watch the first episode of Chaos Dragon though and I'm pretty sure I called it on the 'overloaded with exposition' thing. Wasn't expecting the comically bad character design/animation though. That was fairly hilarious.

• Like 1

I'm not hyped for the new shows, I'm only watching Gakkou Gurashi, Umaru-chan and Working!!! They are fine, but not really exciting.

I still couldn't finish Koufuku Graffiti (which is from the winter season) because it's so damn boring. I really wanted to see something food related and this was a disappointment, so I just started Shokugeki no Souma, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for. And all the talk about Dragon Ball Super inspired me to watch DBZ all over again, but I'm going with the original show, I heard all the fillers were cut out in DBKai and, honestly, I do like Dragon Ball fillers. They make the show longer, but... It's already a pretty long anime even without them, so whatever.

Ugh, I have so many shows I need to catch up on. So far I've only been able to keep up with Gangsta (which I'm enjoying a lot), God Eater (which is as visually gorgeous as you'd expect from Ufotable, but a bit clumsy on character and plot), Rokka no Yuusha (which was fun if forgettable) and Gakkou Gurashi (which gets my award for most unexpectedly good show this season.) I haven't even had a chance to start Gate, Charlotte or Ushio and Tora yet.

I did watch the first episode of Chaos Dragon though and I'm pretty sure I called it on the 'overloaded with exposition' thing. Wasn't expecting the comically bad character design/animation though. That was fairly hilarious.

Choas Dragon was a huge letdown. I checked out Gakkou Gurashi not expecting anything and it was surprisingly good. Still have not watched God Eater, I probably should get around to that. Anyway my updated listing

1. Yuusha

2. Gate

3. Shimoneta

4. Gangsta

5. Ushio and Tora

6. Snow White with the Red Hair

7. Gakkou Gurashi

8. Charlotte

9. Prison School

10. Monster Musume

11. Ovelord

Also technically a last season show but Soma (Food Wars) has been extremely good in its second half. Contender for anime of the year.

Yeah, I've been reading the Food Wars manga for a while now and it's quickly risen to one of my favourite currently running series. So I'm not surprised the anime is doing fairly well. I checked out a few episodes and they do a great job adapting it. The soundtrack particularly is just awesome.

Still have far too many shows I need to catch up on though. Pretty much the only one I've been keeping up with with any kind of consistency is Gakkou Gurashi. Did watch the first 4 episodes of Gate though. It was alright and had some interesting ideas, but I really can't stand the main character. 

I haven't seen anything from the summer season, but Food Wars has had me cracking up constantly. Does anyone know if it's just going to be a double season or if it's going to continue indefinitely?

Just 24 episodes for now, but I suspect it'll get a second season. It's popular enough to deserve it.

I'll admit, I'm a bit cautious as to how they intend to do the entire Autumn Elections in just 5 episodes though. That was a long-ass tournament arc in the manga. Maybe they'll split it up into a second season (I hope), but we'll see.

Food Wars and Gate are the ones I've seen so far and both have been quite stellar. Rokka... I had initiallly set the bars quite high but the product itself doesn't quite live up to my standards. Although not atrocious in any sense, it can get quite grueling watching certain elongated episodes.

On unrelated news, I finally got around to watching that live-action Attack on Titan movie. It was fairly enjoyable actually, particularly with the titan attacks. It's much more of a straight horror than the action/horror of the anime/manga and definitely more its own thing than any kind of straight adaptation of the story of the series. There was a fair bit of obvious CG, particularly around the Colossal Titan and 3D Maneuver gear bits, but I went in expecting that so it wasn't too much of a bother. I give credit to how they somehow made the titans simultaneously more narmish yet even more terrifying than the originals.

One big criticism I've got to give though is that they absolutely fucked up Mikasa's character. Even as someone who's really not a stickler for 100% loyalty to the source material (otherwise I wouldn't have liked it period), I think they really fucked up there. It's still not exactly a deal killer and maybe it'll end up working better when the 2nd part comes out and they finish up her presumed arc, but I'm not entirely confident.

I would recommend it though just for an enjoyable different perspective on AoT, for better or for worse. If you're the sort of person who's a real stickler for source material loyalty though, I'd probably give it a miss. Like I said, it's much more its own thing and they do make a lot of changes.

• Like 1

On unrelated news, I finally got around to watching that live-action Attack on Titan movie. It was fairly enjoyable actually, particularly with the titan attacks. It's much more of a straight horror than the action/horror of the anime/manga and definitely more its own thing than any kind of straight adaptation of the story of the series. There was a fair bit of obvious CG, particularly around the Colossal Titan and 3D Maneuver gear bits, but I went in expecting that so it wasn't too much of a bother. I give credit to how they somehow made the titans simultaneously more narmish yet even more terrifying than the originals.

One big criticism I've got to give though is that they absolutely fucked up Mikasa's character. Even as someone who's really not a stickler for 100% loyalty to the source material (otherwise I wouldn't have liked it period), I think they really fucked up there. It's still not exactly a deal killer and maybe it'll end up working better when the 2nd part comes out and they finish up her presumed arc, but I'm not entirely confident.

I would recommend it though just for an enjoyable different perspective on AoT, for better or for worse. If you're the sort of person who's a real stickler for source material loyalty though, I'd probably give it a miss. Like I said, it's much more its own thing and they do make a lot of changes.

I got around to seeing too. I kind of hated it. There were some things that I enjoyed about it (like you said, the Titan attacks were awesome and the amount of violence and gore in it was awesome to see) but I felt they changed it for the worst. The characters are surprisingly unlikeable, the action scenes are mostly filmed in the dark which is really irritating since you can't always tell what's going on, and the changes they made from the manga really got under my skin.

I do speculate that the second part is going to be much better. Based on what I've seen so far that is.

The apple scene with Mikasa and Shikashima is beyond creepy. As well as the scene where Hiana tries to seduce Eren.

The Titan Eren is fighting in the preview for Part 2 looks like a cross between the Armoured Titan and the Female Titan. I'll admit it looks pretty bad-ass

Edited by Cheese