baumer

BOF's top 100 movie lines of all time (CLOSED)

This is something I have been wanting to do for quite a while.  A few years ago at Mojo, we spent about 3 months compiling the best movie lines of all time.  This is a very big under taking as there are literally thousands of movies to choose from.  To pick 100 is an important task and it is also a very monumental one.  So here is what we have come up with.

I have reached out to Shawn and asked him to create a sub forum that only the staff (of course) and the panel will have access to.  This is where all the behind the scenes stuff will be discussed.  This is where the panel will store the information, dissect the information and ultimately determine what the 100 best movie lines are of all time.  To make sure this is fair, we have decided that we are going to have 9-15 (preferably 15) panel members.  There will be 3-5 members under the age of 26, 3-5 between the age of 26-34 and 3-5 over the age of 35.

There will be more details in the coming days but for now, the ones that have accepted are:

Under 26:  Quota filled (yes there are 6 but that is fine)

Gopher (under 26)

Jake gittes (under 26)

mahnamanha (under 26)

Coolio (under 26)

Numbers (under 26)

riczhang (under 26)

26-35

Shawnmr (26-35)

stingray (26-35)

chasmmi (26-35)

blankments (26-35)

Over 35

baumer (over 35)

75Live (over 35)

Tele (over 35)

BKB Over 35)

I have sent out invitations to BKB (over the age of 35) and AA (over the age of 35) and Gopher (under 26).  If you would like to be part of the panel, the only thing I caution you with is that you will be needed on a consistent basis.  That doesn't mean every day but it does mean that eventually there will be deadlines and we need those deadlines to be met.  So if you want to volunteer for choosing the best 100 movie lines of all time, please sign up here.  We need one more over the age of 35 but if you are over the age of 35 please still respond and if AA or BKB does not want to do it, you are in.

We need at least 4 under the age of 26 and we need 3 more between the age of 26-35.

When volunteering, please let us know your age and please be honest with us and yourself.  Make sure you feel you know enough about all films in order to be on the panel.  This is going to be strictly a North American movie line list, kind of like the AFI.  I'm sure there are a zillion cool lines from a zillion different places in the world, but for this list it is basically NA movies.

We are going to take this seriously.  All movie lines will be voted on by the panel.  So if there are lines from 1931 or 2013 all will be given a fair look.

As for you, the community here, EVERYONE can send in movie lines.  We want to hear from all of you.  Every line that is submitted will be cataloged in the sub forum and once we have enough then we will begin the process of going over them.  I'll tell you now, obviously if you are sending in something from your personal favourite that has no traction with the rest of the world, it will be dismissed pretty quickly.  So try not to send in the script from TDKR or a script from New Moon.  These are lines that have ingrained themselves into the psyche of society.  We all know lines like I'm the King of the world or There's no place like home or You talkin to me?  Keep this in mind when submitting what you think should be considered.

When submitting your lines, make sure you include the year of the film and the film of course.

This is the thread that you can submit lines to and you can start doing it now if you want.  If possible, please try not to submit the same line twice.  It's not big deal if you do, but simply using control F will help you out.  I'll make a list of all the lines that have been submitted so far.  This will be in the second post of this thread.

I'll provide more details later tonight.

I hope to hear from many of you. 

Edited by baumer

I'll kick it off with 5 I think are worth mentioning:

Yo Adrian! I did it.  (Rocky 1976)

We're not in Kansas anymore. (The Wizard of Oz 1939)

May the Force be With you (Star Wars ANH 1977)

We're Gonna Need a Bigger Boat (Jaws 1975)

My Friends.  You Bow to No one (Return of the King 2003)

• Like 2

"To infinity and beyond" - Buzz Lightyear (Toy Story, 1995)

"Why so serious?!?" - The Joker (The Dark Knight, 2008) 

"If you can dodge a wrench, you can dodge a ball" - Patches O'Houlihan (Dodgeball, 2004) 

"Roads... where we're going, we don't need roads" - Doc Brown (Back to the Future, 1985) 

"Every time a bell rings, an angel get its wings" - Zuzu Bailey (It's a Wonderful Life, 1946) 

There's 5 quotes from me 

• Like 2

"I killed him for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman" - Double Indemnity. That line might be the essence of all film noir.

"I drink your milkshake!" - There Will Be Blood

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects

"I've always depended on the kindness of strangers" - A Streetcar Named Desire

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown" - Chinatown

BTW, I'm under 26 and I'd love to be a part of the panel, so, I'll also use this post to volunteer.

• Like 2

Frankly my Dear I don't give a Damn - Gone with the Wind

I'll be Back - Terminator

You can't handle the Truth - A few good men

I've had it with these mother fucking snakes on this mother fucking plane - Snakes on a Plane

I just felt like Running - Forrest Gump

• Like 2

"I killed him for money and for a woman. I didn't get the money, and I didn't get the woman" - Double Indemnity. That line might be the essence of all film noir.

"I drink your milkshake!" - There Will Be Blood

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist" - The Usual Suspects

"I've always depended on the kindness of strangers" - A Streetcar Named Desire

"Forget it Jake, it's Chinatown" - Chinatown

BTW, I'm under 26 and I'd love to be a part of the panel, so, I'll also use this post to volunteer.

Cool...welcome aboard.

I coulda beena  contender - On the Waterfront

You know how to whistle don't you Steve? Just put your lips together and blow - To have and Have not

Welcome to Earth - Independence Day

Get away from her you bitch - ALiens

I ate his liver with some fava beans and a bottle of chianti - Silence of the Lambs

I can volunteer myself as being between 26 and 35 if needed too :)

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 2

My final one for now: Pretty much every line in this clip to be honest. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEWaqUVac3M But just to keep things simple I'll stick with We'll always have Paris. - Casablanca Hell add Here's looking at you kid too.

Edited by chasmmi

Off the top of my head.

"There is no infection... Just people killing people." - 28 Days Later

"There's a legend around here. About a killer buried, but not dead." - Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood

"I'm gonna take you to the bank, Senator Trent. To the blood bank!" - Hard to Kill

"Forgiveness is between them and God. Its my job to arrange the meeting." - Man on Fire

"There's something out there waiting for us, and it ain't no man." - Predator

• Like 2