baumer

BOF's top 100 movie lines of all time (CLOSED)

Guys keep in mind, the best 100 lines of all time aren't necessarily the lines that you think are the best.  These are lines that have transcended film and age and generations.  Something from TDKR really isn't going to make it past the first stage as it's too new.  And a quote from Hard to Kill or When Harry Met Sally won't really make it either.  There are 100 lines that have to be narrowed down from about 1000.  Make em good.  

I disagree strongly about the When Harry Met Sally quote. That probably is the romantic comedy quote in my book. Just the part with "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible," that right there describes love in general so perfectly. Definitely in my top 5 quotes of all time, and if you quote it to someone else, if they've seen When Harry Met Sally, they'll recognize it, and love you for saying it. It totally belongs in this.

/endFYC

I disagree strongly about the When Harry Met Sally quote. That probably is the romantic comedy quote in my book. Just the part with "When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible," that right there describes love in general so perfectly. Definitely in my top 5 quotes of all time, and if you quote it to someone else, if they've seen When Harry Met Sally, they'll recognize it, and love you for saying it. It totally belongs in this.

/endFYC

I think what B's trying to say is that there are a lot of worthy quotes, and that quote is amongst them but when we're comparing for historical transcendence and impact especially on the big picture, it won't be among the most worthy romantic comedy quotes. 

• Like 1

Some others:

No.  I am your father.  Empire Strikes Back (1980)

Go ahead, make my day. Sudden Impact (1983)

Get away from her you bitch!  Aliens

We’re not in Kansas anymore.  The Wizard of Oz

You can’t handle the truth!  A Few Good Men

What we have here is a failure to communicate.  Cool Hand Luke

The first rule of Fight Club is you do not talk about Fight Club Fight Club

And this one time…at band camp…. American Pie

I’m gonna get medieval on yo ass!  Pulp Fiction

I’ll have what she’s having.  When Harry Met Sally

Show me the money!!  Jerry Maguire

You’re money baby!  Swingers

E.T phone home.  E.T.

Here’s Johnny!  The Shining

That’s what I love about high school girls, I keep getting older, but they stay the same age.  Dazed and Confused

No. Do. Or do not.  There is no try.  Empire Strikes Back

I see dead people.  The Sixth Sense

They’re here.  Poltergeist

Life is like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you’re going get.  Forrest Gump

I’m too old for this shit!  Lethal Weapon

There’s no crying.  There’s no crying in baseball.  A League of Their Own

If you build it.  They will come.  Field of Dreams

One million dollars.  Austin Powers

We all go a little mad sometimes.  Psycho

You make me want to be a better man.  As Good as it Gets

All Righty then!  Ace Ventura

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in.  The Godfather III

I’m gonna make you squeal like a pig.  Deliverance

Life moves pretty fast.  If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.  Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

Stupid is as stupid does.  Forrest Gump

You complete me.  Jerry Maguire

I feel the need.  The need for speed.  Top Gun

Hasta la vista baby!  T2

Have you ever danced with the devil by the pale moonlight?  Batman

It’s alive!!  Frankenstein

The call me Mr. Tibbs. In the heat of the Night

Wax on.  Wax off!  The Karate Kid

Yea, but you were so preoccupied with whether or not you could, you didn’t stop to think whether or not you should.  Jurassic Park

It was beauty that killed the beast.  King Kong

Round up the usual Suspects.  Casablanca

We didn’t land on Plymouth Rock.  Plymouth Rock landed on us.  Malcolm X

Love is never having to say you’re sorry.  Love Story

Get you’re stinkin’ paws off me you damned dirty ape.  Planet of the Apes

Do you like scary movies?  Scream

You'll shoot your eye out kid. (A Christmas Story)

With great power comes great responsibility.  Spiderman

Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.  The Godfather

The Greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.  The Usual Suspects

It’s just a flesh wound.  Monty Python and the Holy Grail

They may take our lives.  But they’ll never take our freedom!  Braveheart

We all have it comin’ kid.  Unforgiven

Mirror, mirror on the wall.  Who’s the fairest of them all?  Snow White and the Seven Dwarves

Play it Sam.  Casablanca

Elementary my dear Watson.  Sherlock Holmes

Are you not entertained?  Gladiator

I think of a man, and take away reason and accountability.  As Good as it Gets

• Like 1

When Harry Met Sally has another quote that would be there before any other.  I'll have what she's having is much more memorable and well known that other quotes from that movie.  And I LOVE When Harry Met Sally.  "You made a woman meow?"  "Waiter there is too much pepper on my paprikash, but I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie."  I love the whole script.  But we have to differentiate what is a memorable line for everyone and a memorable line for you.

I'm not saying not to put every quote in here that you want.  But just know that 90% of the quotes that get put in here will be gone in the first round of voting.  That's why I'm saying to make them good ones.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

I think what B's trying to say is that there are a lot of worthy quotes, and that quote is amongst them but when we're comparing for historical transcendence and impact especially on the big picture, it won't be among the most worthy romantic comedy quotes. 

Agree to disagree then. I definitely consider it the best romantic comedy quote period.

• Like 1

When Harry Met Sally has another quote that would be there before any other.  I'll have what she's having is much more memorable and well known that other quotes from that movie.  And I LOVE When Harry Met Sally.  "You made a woman meow?"  "Waiter there is too much pepper on my paprikash, but I would be proud to partake of your pecan pie."  I love the whole script.  But we have to differentiate what is a memorable line for everyone and a memorable line for you.

Good point. It does have a great script... I'll also nominate "I'll have what she's having." :P

• Like 1

"Well, I guess that's pretty much now how I feel about relationships; y'know, they're totally irrational, and crazy, and absurd, and... but, uh, I guess we keep goin' through it because, uh, most of us... need the eggs." - Annie Hall

"Maybe, maybe not, maybe f#ck yourself." - The Departed

• Like 1

"I'm Finished," - Daniel Plainview, There Will Be Blood (2007)"Fasten your seatbelts; it's going to be a bumpy ride," - Margo Channing, All About Eve (1950)

I think "I drink your milkshake!" From TWBB is probably more memorable than "I'm finished" (though that is more significant from a character standpoint).

No. Do. Or do not.  There is no try.  Empire Strikes Back

It's "try not," not "no."

Others:

"I know it was you Fredo, you broke my heart. You broke my heart!" (The Godfather Part II)"

"I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own." (Killing Them Softly)

"Is it safe?" (Marathon Man)

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room." (Dr. Strangelove)

"Mr. President, I'm not saying we wouldn't get our hair mussed. But I do say no more than ten to twenty million killed, tops, uh, depending on the breaks." (Dr. Strangelove)

"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." (The Usual Suspects)

"Keaton always said, "I don't believe in God, but I'm afraid of him." Well I believe in God, and the only thing that scares me is Keyser Soze." (The Usual Suspects)

"But I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you?" (Goodfellas)

"I'm an average nobody... get to live the rest of my life like a schnook." (Goodfellas)

I think "I drink your milkshake!" From TWBB is probably more memorable than "I'm finished" (though that is more significant from a character standpoint).

I agree. I've always found I'm finished the better quote because it is more important and has more impact, imo. 

Under 26 is filled.  Sorry Blank.

Well, in that case I can nominate as many as I want without increasing my own workload. ;)

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?" -  Batman (1989)

"If you want to view paradise, simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it; want to change the world... there's nothing to it." -  Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

"T-T-F-N: ta-ta for now!" -  The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)

"My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions and loyal servant to the TRUE emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." - Gladiator (2001)

"Are you not entertained? Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?" - Gladiator (2001)

"This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Man." - Spider-Man (2002)

"With great power, comes great responsibility - Spider-Man (2002)

"Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color?" - Elf (2003)

"I passed through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest, through the sea of swirly twirly gum drops, and then I walked through the Lincoln Tunnel." - Elf (2003)

" A vigilante is just a man lost in the scramble for his own gratification. He can be destroyed, or locked up. But if you make yourself more than just a man, if you devote yourself to an ideal, and if they can't stop you, then you become something else entirely." - Batman Begins (2005)

"Onions have layers. Ogres have layers. Onions have layers. You get it? We both have layers." Shrek (2001)

"Argo fuck yourself," - Argo (2012)

"Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection. The lovers, the dreamers, and me." - The Muppet Movie (1979)

"You ain't never had a friend like me!" - Aladdin (1992)

"Fish are friends, not food." - Finding Nemo (2003)

"Just keep swimming - Finding Nemo (2003)

"I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most." - Spider-Man 2 (2004)

"I have been touched by your kids... and I'm pretty sure that I've touched them." - School of Rock (2003)

"Tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the Beast." - Beauty and the Beast (1991)

"An honest man has nothing to fear and I am trying not to be afraid of anything." - Catch Me If You Can (2002)

"Squirrel!" - Up (2009)

"They say that the best weapon is the one that you never have to fire. I respectfully disagree! I prefer... the weapon you only have to fire once. That's how Dad did it, that's how America does it... and it's worked out pretty well so far." - Iron Man (2008)

"Tony Stark was able to build this in a cave! With a box of scraps!" - Iron Man (2008)

"You best start believin' in ghost stories, Miss Turner. You're in one!" - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl (2002)

"This is the day you will always remember as the day you almost caught Captain Jack Sparrow!" -  Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

"This is madness!" - 300 (2006)

"Now, shall you deal with ME, O Prince - and all the powers of HELL!" - Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Posted Image

• Like 2

I am Sparticus - Sparticus

Hakuna Matata - Lion King

Welcome to Jurassic Park - Jurassic Park

If it bleeds we can kill it - Predator

That's not a knife...now that's a knife - Crocodile Dundee.

Edited by chasmmi

Guys keep in mind, the best 100 lines of all time aren't necessarily the lines that you think are the best.  These are lines that have transcended film and age and generations.  Something from TDKR really isn't going to make it past the first stage as it's too new.  And a quote from Hard to Kill or When Harry Met Sally won't really make it either.  There are 100 lines that have to be narrowed down from about 1000.  Make em good.  

And here I thought at least half of the top 100 lines would come from silly, only-cool-in-the-80's, action movies. :(

"I'll take my coat back now, asshole." - Escape from L.A.

"You wanna be a farmer? Here's a couple of achers!" - Last Action Hero

"Machete don't text." - Machete

"Don't let your mouth get your ass in trouble." - Shaft

"Donuts don't wear alligator shoes." - Black Dynamite

"I come in peace."
"And you go in pieces, asshole." - Dark Angel

"Always bet on black!" - Passenger 57

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum." - They Live
Edited by The Stingray™

Regarding TWBB: I think that "I drink your milkshake!" would work better for us here because it applies not just to those specific characters, but to any situation where one person has all the power and another person has none. Meanwhile, "I'm finished!" is much more specific to Plainview's situation at the end of the movie, and it's also just not as memorable or distinctive, IMO.

• Like 3

"Try the cock, Albert. It's a delicacy, and you know where it's been." - The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

Fantastic movie and line. but no ones seen that movie but me and you lol.
  • Like 1