baumer

Random Thoughts by the forum members (formerly 20 random thoughts)

1. When a guy says his favourite director is Spielberg/Nolan/Cameron, he means has seen less than 1000 movies in total, probably less than 500.

Why would that be? Apart from the fact that "favourite director" is a strange concept. On imdb, I've get exactly 13 films rated 10/10, every one from a different director.

2. True movie lovers dont mind watching bad movies.

Well, I do. Waste of time. Of course, you don't always know in advance what you're in for - and once started, I usually watch it all the way through - if necessary with fast-forward ...

3. Most of the members on our forums are only interested in latest Hollywood movies, especially Hollywood blockbusters. You know Hollywood not only produce commercial blockbusters, and Hollywood is not the only place where films are produced in the world.

Of course ... this is mainly a US boxoffice site, and films doing better at the BO are the main attraction so there you are. I'm interested in other things too but don't expect others here to share my interests.

4. True movie lovers watch a great number of non-Hollywood movies. 5. there are so many good movies to watch.

Yep.

1. When a guy says his favourite director is Spielberg/Nolan/Cameron, he means has seen less than 1000 movies in total, probably less than 500.

2. True movie lovers dont mind watching bad movies.

3. Most of the members on our forums are only interested in latest Hollywood movies, especially Hollywood blockbusters. You know Hollywood not only produce commercial blockbusters, and Hollywood is not the only place where films are produced in the world. 

4. True movie lovers watch a great number of non-Hollywood movies.

5. there are so many good movies to watch.

My two favourite directors are Spielberg and Cameron and I've seen way more than 1000 movies.  I probably watch 500 movies a year.

I live in Canada and it's not exactly easy to come across a film from Belgium or Kazakhstan or Iceland.  So watching movies that aren't Hollywood produced is hard.

Edited by baumer
  • Like 2

4. True movie lovers watch a great number of non-Hollywood movies.

Fan of Tom Cruise, Cameron Diaz,  Keanu  Reeves, Uma Thurman, Jennifer Aniston, Brad Pitt, Meg Ryan, Ben Stiller, Rachel McAdams, Hugh Jackman, Amy Adams, Harrison Ford, Claire Danes, Edward Norton, Kate Beckinsale... Also like Rooney Mara, Mia Wasikowska, Emily Blunt, Saoirse Ronan, Zooey Deschanel, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Charlize Theron

All anglo-saxons stars starring in Hollywood movies...

You don't even have chinese superstars like Gong Li, Tony Leung and Chow-Yun-Fat or european stars like Mads Mikkelsen, Marion Cotillard or Penelope Cruz in your signature list and you lecture people about being narrow-minded and averse to anything non-Hollywood? Pot calling the kettle black?

If I judged you like you judge other people's tastes, if those actors are your idols, you don't watch enough movies...

:ph34r:

(Saying a director is "his favourite" does not equal saying "He's the best ever"...It means you just peculiarly love his movies and his style)

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

All anglo-saxons stars starring in Hollywood movies...

You don't even have chinese superstars like Gong Li, Tony Leung and Chow-Yun-Fat or european stars like Mads Mikkelsen, Marion Cotillard or Penelope Cruz in your signature list and you lecture people about being narrow-minded and averse to anything non-Hollywood? Pot calling the kettle black?

If I judged you like you judge other people's tastes, if those actors are your idols, you don't watch enough movies...

:ph34r:

(Saying a director is "his favourite" does not equal saying "He's the best ever"...It means you just peculiarly love his movies and his style)

too many names to list ...

But I would say at least one third of the movies I have seen are not from Hollywood. 

I would say for me 5% of the movies I see are not from Hollywood.

Arguing over a movie is kinda super stupid (and yes I am guilty of this lol). At the end of the day we like the movies that we like and arguing isn't going to change anybodies minds. Its like arguing over a favourite colour.

Edited by Phil in the Riddick
  • Like 1

But I would say at least one third of the movies I have seen are not from Hollywood. 

Well over 50% of the movies I have seen are non-Hollywood. But I can guarantee that not many people on this site (maybe Fake, Druv, Spizzer and a few others) would have seen most of the movies I have, even then they are probably limited to the movies in Hindi where as I have also seen a lot of the Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Marathi movies. Does this make me any more of a movie buff than anyone else? Hell No. People can watch what they want and like or dislike it.

For example, the French movie Blue by Krzysztof Kieslowski - Everyone I knew praised the movie to high heaven and that got me interested and I watched it. I was bored out of my mind, and wanted to punch every single person who recommended it to me. 

• Like 1

- It is nearly impossible to talk about The Dark Knight on the Internet. You will either piss off the people who love it and think it's God's gift to cinema, or the people who sincerely believe that anyone who doesn't think it's terrible is a brainwashed sheep.

- Avatar is still damn great. Let's stop acting like we were all blinded to the story deficiencies because of the pretty colors and 3D back in 2009, and just admit that it's okay to enjoy the hell out of a movie with cheesy dialogue and familiar archetypes.

- I can't believe that we're already at the point where the early-to-mid-2000s now represent a somewhat different era of movies and box office trends, especially given that 2005 was when I first started posting on forums.

- I would be completely okay with doing away with the scores on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes for forever. The review compilation part is great, but there's too much fixation on scores and not enough on what the collected critics are actually saying about the movie(s) in question.

- Because I'm watching playoff baseball right now (Big Papi just got a rough called third strike with Victorino on second and Pedey on first), I wish we could get more baseball movies like Moneyball.

• Like 3

- I would be completely okay with doing away with the scores on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes for forever. The review compilation part is great, but there's too much fixation on scores and not enough on what the collected critics are actually saying about the movie(s) in question.

I agree with this. RT scores are more of a "Did the majority of critics find this movie inoffensive enough". A movie which hits all beats detailed in "Save the Cat" in a competent enough manner will end up with a "Fresh" rating despite not actually being a "fresh" movie so to speak. RT is more of a "Is the movie agreeable" than an actual "Is the movie good"

• Like 1

Ideally, RT and metacrtic would still exist, but they would only compile blurbs of reviews without saying the scores. So you'd have to read the text, draw your own conclusions, and would be able to make bullshit arguments about film X have a 13% better tomatometer than film Y.

Ideally, RT and metacrtic would still exist, but they would only compile blurbs of reviews without saying the scores. So you'd have to read the text, draw your own conclusions, and would be able to make bullshit arguments about film X have a 13% better tomatometer than film Y.

That would require more effort than the average person is willing to give though. Besides, what would we do without RT meltdowns in the summer?!

- There's a flood of great or buzz-generating movies coming out and I'm gonna fall behind really quickly. Screeners can't come soon enough.

- Maybe I should call myself "Mr. B-". Since I have limited time for movies these days, I tend to skip ones I'm not interested in or strongly suspect I won't like, but of course only a few movies are actually great. The vast majority fall into that "eh, decent, had some problems" B- grade for me.

- As a corollary to that, (and following up on what other people have already mentioned), internet discussion on movies (or anything, really) is a "it sucked"/"it's a masterpiece" dichotomy. The vast, vast majority of movies aren't either, they fall into that gray area in between.

- I've finally gotten back into playing some RED DEAD REDEMPTION -- I forgot how much fun it is (I never finished the game the first time around).

- I wonder: how many of the younger forum members (high-school, early college) want to get into the entertainment industry? Seems there are a few of you guys that are interested and/or just getting started.

- The Texans are beyond horrible.

- I get way too invested in sports sometimes. The highs are great, but let's be frank, for the most part, sports are dominated by failure, not success. (and no, this isn't related to my Texans comment.) :lol:

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3