Series Finales: The Best and The Worst

Friday Night Lights

The Wire

Breaking Bad

... as a whole, Six Feet Under wouldn't be at the very top for me, but it features the greatest last 5 minutes by far.

Worst

Seinfeld ... one of the greatest shows of all time went full retard in the finale by trying to be too cute. Jerry should know that you never go full retard. 

Dexter

So many shows I watched which may have been looking towards epic finales never got their chance (Deadwood, Carnivale, etc)

Edited by Adam

What really struck home about The Wire's finale is how it highlighted how the real world works. Sometimes the good guys win, sometimes the bad guys do, sometimes the good guys have to make compromises or sacrifices in order to get a partial victory, and sometimes good guys finally make the transition to if not bad guys then to gray moralists looking out only for #1. But in all cases, for those still standing their lives move on, even if not entirely how they expected or hoped they would.

Plus (not really a spoiler but tagged to be safe) 

the episode opening with Littlefinger looking absolutely dumbstruck and unable to articulate a complete sentence was great dark humor (even more so since everyone knows him as Littlefinger the verbose schemer and not Mayor Carcetti).

Edited by 4815162342

I hated the Lost finale. I watched it in the morning in India. The main issue is that half of season 6 is rendered completely irrelevant by the ending. And after telling the fans that everything will be revealed at the end, nothing was. Ambiguity only works if you have trained the audience to accept it. This is what BrBa did so well, they gave us pointers as to what each character will do once the finale is done. Lost, on the other hand:

To bring some animation in here, the series finale of Avatar: The Last Airbender is amazing

Pfft, if we're talking animation then look no further than Cowboy Bebop's ending.

Posted Image

• Like 2

The UK version of the series Life on Mars had an incredible finale. And it's sequel series Ashes To Ashes had a pretty good finale too. It's pretty similar to the Lost finale (they even aired on the same weekend in the UK) except instead of coming together in a church they meet up in a pub at the end. Says something about British vs. American sensibilities if you ask me. :lol:

The UK version of the series Life on Mars had an incredible finale. And it's sequel series Ashes To Ashes had a pretty good finale too. It's pretty similar to the Lost finale (they even aired on the same weekend in the UK) except instead of coming together in a church they meet up in a pub at the end. Says something about British vs. American sensibilities if you ask me. :lol:

I agree they had great endings but not quiet up there with the best ever IMO.