A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

What the... By thursday it was neck and neck and after sunday it's supposed to be $40m behind? How's that possible? 

EDIT:

I guess AUJ's numbers were as of Wednesday, not Thursday. Well, so long, billion... :(

Edited by Elessar

According what Elessar and juni78ukr have posted we have this:

Germany (3rd): AUJ $60m vs DOS $61m
UK (3rd): AUJ $57.7m vs DOS $48m
France (3rd): AUJ $31.2m vs DOS $38m
Russia (2nd): AUJ $27m vs DOS $29m
Spain (3rd): AUJ $22.4m vs DOS $18m
Korea (3rd): AUJ $19.5m vs DOS $15m
Italy (3rd): AUJ $17.9m vs DOS $15m

Total (7 markets): AUJ $235.7m vs DOS $224m

Japan was at 11.3 million by 3rd weekend, so that would already 23 million gap. Sadly, extrapolating I find logical the 40 million difference.
  • Like 1

Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is keeping pace with An Unexpected Journey. The second entry in The Hobbit trilogy collected $98.3 million from 15,800 screens in 62 overseas markets this weekend, an 18% drop from the previous weekend. Smaug has now grossed $423.8 million overseas and $614.1 million worldwide.

The Desolation of Smaug earned $12.8 million in Australia after a strong Boxing Day premiere. The film finished the weekend in first place with a 51% marketshare among the top 5 releases in Australia. Smaug jumped 8% in Germany to take $15.8 million from 1,460 screens. The strong showing in Germany boosted the film's market total up to $61.3 million, making it the biggest release of 2013 in Germany. The film is also the top grosser of 2013 in Sweden with $14.3 million.

Other top performers for The Desolation of Smaug include the United Kingdom ($9M Weekend, $48M Cume), France ($8.8M Weekend, $38.4M Cume), and Russia ($6.1M Weekend, $28.9M Cume). The film will be released in China on February 21, 2014 and Japan on Febraury 28, 2014.

• Like 1

Rightio! Cheers for the breakdown!

Looks like DOS probably going to make less than AUJ in the international market save for it doing some incredibly surprising business in Japan.

I do not count with it. I will be fine if it is able to make another 18-20 million. And I am even pessimistic with that range.

Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug is keeping pace with An Unexpected Journey.

Who wrote that? That's just not true. And a weekend drop? As far as i know, it increased very slightly compared to last weekend.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

Sadly, extrapolating I find logical the 40 million difference.

I'm surprised how much it lost ground in the last 7 days, especially during the midweek (from -$10m i think it was by last sunday to -$40m this sunday). The weekend itself is only $8m behind. I don't get it.

Edited by Elessar
  • Like 1

According what Elessar and juni78ukr have posted we have this:Germany (3rd): AUJ $60m vs DOS $61mUK (3rd): AUJ $57.7m vs DOS $48mFrance (3rd): AUJ $31.2m vs DOS $38mRussia (2nd): AUJ $27m vs DOS $29mSpain (3rd): AUJ $22.4m vs DOS $18mKorea (3rd): AUJ $19.5m vs DOS $15mItaly (3rd): AUJ $17.9m vs DOS $15mTotal (7 markets): AUJ $235.7m vs DOS $224mJapan was at 11.3 million by 3rd weekend, so that would already 23 million gap. Sadly, extrapolating I find logical the 40 million difference.

Doesn't look that bad when you break it down like that. UK is clearly the biggest disappointment

Maybe it's having weaker weekday numbers than weekend numbers?

Opened 135.4

next week 278.4

this week 423.8 (estimated)

seemed to stay flat this pass week (145 million, only a 2 million increase from past week to week of 143 million).