A Marvel Fanboy

The Hobbit: the Desolation of Smaug OS Thread

DoS will win its 3rd weekend in Germany, with >1mil admissions; maybe getting as high as opening weekend. However, after this weekend it will be trailing AuJ by a few 100k. 4th weekend should beat AuJ#s (the holiday on 6th Jan fell on Sunday last year, this year's Monday is perfect for a prolongued weekend), so after Jan 6th I guess the two will be nearly tied. 6,5mil admissions total look doable atm (depending on 3D share, 90 - 100mil US$)

• Like 3

DoS will win its 3rd weekend in Germany, with >1mil admissions; maybe getting as high as opening weekend. However, after this weekend it will be trailing AuJ by a few 100k. 4th weekend should beat AuJ#s (the holiday on 6th Jan fell on Sunday last year, this year's Monday is perfect for a prolongued weekend), so after Jan 6th I guess the two will be nearly tied. 6,5mil admissions total look doable atm (depending on 3D share, 90 - 100mil US$)

WOW. Thats crazy. How many Hollywood movies have hit $100M in Germany? Two of them are probably Titanic and Avatar.

WOW. Thats crazy. How many Hollywood movies have hit $100M in Germany? Two of them are probably Titanic and Avatar.

According BOM, since 2001, just Avatar (157). Titanic did it too (129). I do not know if previously to 2001 any movie has done it, but I really doubt it. Another thing is to think about adjusted figures...

I would rather say insane ticket prices.  Sorcerers's Stone had 12.57 mln admissions. Fellowship of The RIng 11.83 mln admissions. Der Schuh des Manitu 11.72 mln admissions. None of them made even 80m in 2001.

It is not just ticket prices. In late 2001, 1€=0.9$. Today, 1€=1.37$. That is a 52% increase. If we only take into account exchange rate FOTR would have made today 118 million (taking the 78 million figure from BOM). And I do not count inflation. 2001 movies are the most damaged movies in terms of dollars gross because of a bad exchange rate.

Yep, let's not forget FotR counted nearly 12 million admissions back in 2001 ... makes AuJ's 6,7mil look a bit pale :)

Sure. It happened everywhere. In Spain, FOTR sold 7 million admissions and AUJ sold 3 million. AUJ 30 million $, FOTR 28 million $...

Internationally, “Smaug” has eclipsed $340 million, led by strong U.K. grosses that have been on a par with “The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey.”

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/the-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug-tops-500-million-worldwide-1201003097/

According to this article AUJ was at $344m. Pretty good for DOS considering it still has Japan and it had a day less in Australia. But it's eery how similar their respective runs are...

The LotR franchise was always very stable, with a varied, broad and devoted fanbase. Main difference to The Hobbit: The story is not that epic and the tickets are more expensive. Back during the LotR run, the main difference were exchange rates ... otherwise, it also was extremely reliable. Same as the HarryPotter franchise btw.

And it also had one day less in Germany/Austria, but as we've seen, it's of little importance in mid-December if you open Wed or Thur. Until holidays start, it's a weekend season, so those weekday openings really don't amount to much and are usually countered by higher weekend PTA.