#ED

Weekend Estimates: Gravity - 55.5M; CWACM - $21.5M ;RR - 7.6M;

If it's a massive box office hit like it's already shaping up to be, and with the astronomically good critical reception, I honestly don't know how the Academy will be able to deny it.

This actually stands a much better chance at winning BP than other sci-fi pictures in the past. The film is very minimal and also the sci-fi aspect is not big like ET or Star Wars or any of the other kind of films they have snubbed. This is kind of in the middle of what the Academy would give BP and what they won't. I am getting a Silence of the Lambs vibe from this and that was the first thriller/horror film to win BP. I think Gravity stands a good chance here as well. It also stars Clooney and Bullock which helps give it a little more clout. 

So, yes, a BP win is in the cards. Doesn't mean it will happen though, but it stands a better chance than some on here might think.

• Like 1

indeed :lol:

http://www.movies.com/movie-news/gravity-3d-ticket-sales/13720?wssac=164&wssaffid=news

happy for Sandra

Loved her muuuuuch more than McCarthy in The Heat so get the praise u deserve bb

but really doubt Academy will pick this instead of 12YaS

Expected for Gravity.

Saw This is the End yesterday at home. I waited to see it in theaters, opened here this weekend, but not in the theater I go. Shame, because is was pure WTF hilarious stuff. Best comedy of the year.

And saw Rush today in theaters. This was my reaction after it:

Posted Image

yeah TITE is epic. Im glad i went to the cinema. the whole crowd really enjoyed it. :wub:  Rush in 2 weeks

Edited by Leyla

Bullock is the current biggest box office star in Hollywood, bigger than Pitt, Leo, Depp and Smith.

She is a big box office star but you can't call her the biggest star based on a movie that is getting superlative praise. Blake Lively could've opened Gravity to a pretty good number. The real test of a box office star is when they carry movies that no one else can. eg., Adam Sandler and his sub-10% RT movies for the past decade or Denzel with his critic-proof movies.

• Like 1

She is a big box office star but you can't call her the biggest star based on a movie that is getting superlative praise. Blake Lively could've opened Gravity to a pretty good number. The real test of a box office star is when they carry movies that no one else can. eg., Adam Sandler and his sub-10% RT movies for the past decade or Denzel with his critic-proof movies.

She has The Heat and Gravity this year. She probably will be the highest grossing star of 2013 domestically, in leading roles.

Edited by firedeep

Remember when this was gonna star Jolie and RDJ? And they both ended up dropping out, and everyone was all like "may as well cancel it, no other leading lady will be able to draw in the crowds this'll need like Jolie"

Really happy for SaBu, and Cuaron

I'm happy for SaBu as well but it's depressing as a fan of Jolie. She really flushed her acting career down the toilet in recent years. I have big hopes for her next directing project though.