A Marvel Fanboy

Which countries produce the best films

Which countries produce the best films  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which countries do you think produce the best films overally in quality ?

• Australia
    • Brazil
    • Canada
    • China
    • Czech Republic
    • Danmark
    • France
    • Germany
    • India
    • Itlay
    • Japan
    • Mexico
    • Nigeria
    • Poland
    • Russia
    • South Korea
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • UK
    • US
    • Others

Any random ones come up to your mind will do.

Trainspotting, Withnail & I, Hot Fuzz, 28 Days Later, The Full Monty, Naked, Happy-Go-Lucky, Another Year + all Mike Leigh movies, The King's Speech, In the Loop, Chariots of Fire, Shakespeare in Love, Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, Monty Python: Life of Brian, Four Weddings and a Funeral, This is England, Lawrence of Arabia, Snatch, The Last King of Scotland, Kes

• Like 2

US, then Japan, and then UK/South Korea. I tie South Korea with the UK because of one masterpiece film, Old Boy. Japan's animation market is top notch, and they have some decent live action films, although some are just outright weird. Japanese culture is another beast altogether. As far as China goes, I mostly have just seen martial arts films from them, but I did like Shaolin Soccer, and I saw one military film from them. Considering how big China is and how quickly their BO is taking off, it would be nice to start seeing more product from them.

As far as UK goes, yah, they have some good films, but most of their stuff seems sage and uninspired, at least from what I have seen. The only French film I recall seeing is Irreversible. I thought it was just okay.

• Like 1

Traditionally, US has given us the best movies. And although I think many countries can develop great movies, at the end US still will make more better movies because of his undoubtable economical superiority. They can spend easily 100-150 million per movie (more if we talk about blockbusters) and sign the best professionals wherever they come. There have been many stars along history who were not born in US like Alfred Hitchcock, Ernst Lubitsch, Fritz Lang, Billy Wilder (last 3 escaping from nazism and war in Europe), Marlene Dietrich, Greta Garbo, Ingrid Bergman, Sean Connery, Audrey Hepburn, Roman Polanski, Milos Forman, David Lean, Charles Chaplin...

Today we have Alfonso Cuaron, Guillermo del Toro, Alejandro González Iñárritu, Javier Bardem, Christopher Nolan, Pierce Brosnan, Ang Lee, Kate Winslet, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Peter Jackson, Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Naomi Watts, Ewan McGregor... all of them are foreigners working for US.

At the end, this is business. Money is what rules and US is the number 1 in this aspect. If you have the best people at the end you will make the best movies.

Said this I have liked a lot French and Italian cinema of 60s and 70s. Latest years, I have liked many Spanish movies :), and some coming from South America (overall from Mexico and Argentina).

Edited by peludo
  • Like 1

If the UK put as much money into their films as the US then it would dominate. Instead not enough money is invested in the film industry meaning directors like Nolan, Scott etc move to Hollywood.As it stands, the best horrors and comedies come from the UK Imo and America are there to deliver the big budget blockbusters . saying this I haven't seen many foreign movies lol

US:

mainly known because of their Hollywood blockbusters. They are the best at making big budget commercial movies. Frankly all the other countries simply dont have the market, money and ability to make big movies as the Hollywood do. The money spent on one Hollywood blockbuster could make as many as 100+ regular films in other countries. There are some solid to great American arthouse filmmakers too, like David Lynch, Jim Jarmusch, Woody Allen, etc. But certainly the US have far less good arthouse directors than Europe do, despite they have as big a market as the whole Europe combined.

The Sundance Film Festival is probably the best film festival in US. But it is still no match to the big three: Cannes (France), Venice (Itlay) and Berlin (Germany).

France & Italy: No one does better in art than the Frence and the Italy in the world. The two countries produced the most great directors. If you are a fan of films, not movies, they are the best you can possibly get.

Russia: USSR did some great films. However ever since USSR was gone, Russian film went to trash ...

China: best at Martial arts films so far. HongKong did some solid Gangster films too. Should have done much better if not for the Party ... fuck

Sweden: got some of the greatest films and filmmakers in the past. havent heard much about them recently.

Germany: their films seem too Philosophy centered to me. Not a fan.

UK: When I think of the Britian, BBC is the first and probably the only one that comes to my mind. Like Clonewars said, I too find even their best films are less inspiring. Sometimes solid made, good in quality but eventually nothing special except the weird English accent.

Mexico & Brazil: Have only seen a few movies from the two countries. Apprantly they are still young in the field. Mexico already delivered three awesome directors to Hollywood in past two decades.

South Korea: Since the late 1990s, they have been an rising power in the world film industry. They already made some great and well known films. They will do better.

Japan: mostly famous for animations. As far as I am concerned, only the US do better than Japan in animated films, thanks to Disney. Japan also have had a few great directors on live action films.

Canada & AU: merged into Hollywood ...

• Like 1

sorry but Japan makes a lot of good films per year, that u don't watch them doesnt mean they are bad, USA produce so much shit that i don't think that today it's the best producer in the world. I admitt that they sell more than any other country, but that's a cultural thing, not quality. Transformers 3 made it's the 6th highets grossing movie WW (unadjusted), and i don't thing is the 6th best movie of all time. In fact it sucks

I didn't say Japan et.al make bad movies. I said that the US has a higher output of quality films than any other individual market. This is simply a matter of capacity.

The UK used to have a really prolific film industry back in the 60s, until it went to shit. Now it just seems to be a place where Hollywood films its superhero tentpoles.

I wouldn't say that. Every year you get at least 6 british movies that make a splash worldwide.

Edited by Jack Nevada

I would say Canada is far more linked into Hollywood then Australia. You don't see many distinctly Canadian films become hits in Canada let alone breakout overseas. Whereas many Australian films have found success overseas. Starting with Picnic at Hanging Rock and continuing with films like the Mad Max Series, Crocodile Dundee, Gallipoli, Dead Calm, Babe, Muriel's Wedding, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Shine, Australia and Animal Kingdom.

I wouldn't say that. Every year you get at least 6 british movies that make a splash worldwide.

Sure, but looking at what it once was it's a shame it's not still that competitive. Even up until the 70s, the UK market share worldwide was so much bigger.

It makes you wonder though - how do you define a film's nationality? I remember Batman Begins being described as a 'British' film because it was filmed there and most of its crew were Brits. But most times it's defined by the nationality of the funder, which would make the Harry Potter film franchise American too (which I consider it to be).

I would say Canada is far more linked into Hollywood then Australia. You don't see many distinctly Canadian films become hits in Canada let alone breakout overseas. Whereas many Australian films have found success overseas. Starting with Picnic at Hanging Rock and continuing with films like the Mad Max Series, Crocodile Dundee, Gallipoli, Dead Calm, Babe, Muriel's Wedding, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Shine, Australia and Animal Kingdom.

true.

Canada have little sense of presense internationally anyway ... totally in the shadow of US.

Edited by firedeep