#ED

10/11 - 10/13 Wknd Est: Gravity - 44.2M; Captain Phillips - 26M; CWCM2 - 14.2M; Machete - 3.7M

Show me one movie opening to over 55m, dropping 20% second weekend without the help of a holiday, that did not develop amazing legs? It would have to start dropping pretty hard now, but why would it? I mean it survived like it did against direct competition by Captain Phillips. "Gravity" can officially be considerd as untouchable, just like Avatar.If it drops by 30% from now on, it's at 260m, coming from a $10m weekend. It would be a very crazy run after that second weekend to not pass 300m.

It will old well next two weekends but loss of IMAX should hurt it since it's such a big part of the gross

Don't get me wrong, Thor is still going to be a big success because it appeals to younger audiences.

But by the same token, Gravity's buzz can't be matched at the moment and that's not likely to change. If it's still making bank in November, you can bet theater owners will favor giving it as many showtimes over anything else as much as they possibly (legally) can. This is the "water cooler moment" movie that Avatar and Inception were during their time--it's not going to slow down significantly for anything.

While true, it's going to get hurt by Thor and CF as they both are 4 quadrant movies. If Gravity can survive the 1-2 punch than 350M becomes a possibility. 

• Founder / Operator

Gravity would not have much time to get it back Because Catching Fire will then have them right after

True. But if CF ends up front-loaded, then Gravity gets a chance to get back one or two daily showtimes again--until Hobbit, at which point, WB is in a win-win situation. I'm pretty sure Gravity is going to be sticking around for awhile--even if it has to be relegated to one show per day come Oscar season.

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator

While true, it's going to get hurt by Thor and CF as they both are 4 quadrant movies. If Gravity can survive the 1-2 punch than 350M becomes a possibility. 

But they're not likely to be leggy movies either. They're one- or two-weekend movies, and mostly done at that point except for fans.

Edited by ShawnMR

Nice to an orginal film do well but I still don't get the buzz for it.

Likely will be like avatar people going nuts for visuals. 

Visuals are great but it's more than just visuals. Bullock gives a strong performance and I love the overall themes of it especially towards human nature. Also, ending is just perfect. 

But they're not likely to be leggy movies either. They're one- or two-weekend movies, and mostly done at that point except for fans.

We'll see as I love Gravity and it would great to see it push beyond 300M maybe even dare I say 400M.  :ph34r: