John Marston

X-Men: Days of Future Past OS thread

If it was at $251m on Thur that would be a $64m w/e about a 63% drop.

Hmm...I was hoping for more. But 450 is still in sight.

Wasn't 315M within the expected range? I guess 63% drop is not bad at all when you consider that weekdays are stronger due to summer factor and that it opened pretty much everywhere last week, thus burning off demands quicker. What big market does it have left? I'm not very good at extrapolating, so how are the chances for 500M OS?

Wasn't 315M within the expected range?I guess 63% drop is not bad at all when you consider that weekdays are stronger due to summer factor and that it opened pretty much everywhere last week, thus burning off demands quicker.What big market does it have left? I'm not very good at extrapolating, so how are the chances for 500M OS?

Spain is the only big market left, but I don't think it'll add more than 10 million there.

And I don't know about the "summer" factor - it was still May this past week, after all.

I was hoping for about 10-15 million more at this point. Honestly, with competition and the WC coming up, 500 is gone.

• Like 1

Spain is the only market left. 

$450m O/S looks a more likely target than $500m.  It has summer days to it's advantage but a huge chunk is coming from China (maybe about 25% this w/e?) where it's about to be hit with more competition and and the World Cup starts I think June 12th which will probably hurt any late legs.

• Like 3

So 680M+ WW. That's an incredible numbers for an X-Men movie.

I guess that is a very good but not spectacular number. After a series of big budget lackluster Wolverine standalones & a half-hearted reboot in FC (although Fassbender is perfectly cast as Magneto), they should be working towards a $1B WW benchmark. 

X1 & X2 are still the best in the series. They need to top that with Apocalypse.

I guess that is a very good but not spectacular number. After a series of big budget lackluster Wolverine standalones & a half-hearted reboot in FC (although Fassbender is perfectly cast as Magneto), they should be working towards a $1B WW benchmark. 

X1 & X2 are still the best in the series. They need to top that with Apocalypse.

Huh? You're contradicting yourself. After "a series of big budget lackluster Wolverine standalones & a half-hearted reboot in FC", none of them making anywhere near 500 million, let alone 700, this IS a spectacular increase, even if it's not a mind-blowing number compared to these days' uber-blockbusters. But compare to Cap 2, which had MUCH more goodwill going into its opening, following TA and the general atmosphere from audiences for the MCU. The fact that DOFP can rise to the same level as phase 2 Marvel movies is beyond exciting, indicating great potential for the future. I expect a 30% increase OS for Apocalypse and at least 15% domestically. 

• Like 3

Huh? You're contradicting yourself. After "a series of big budget lackluster Wolverine standalones & a half-hearted reboot in FC", none of them making anywhere near 500 million, let alone 700, this IS a spectacular increase, even if it's not a mind-blowing number compared to these days' uber-blockbusters. But compare to Cap 2, which had MUCH more goodwill going into its opening, following TA and the general atmosphere from audiences for the MCU. The fact that DOFP can rise to the same level as phase 2 Marvel movies is beyond exciting, indicating great potential for the future. I expect a 30% increase OS for Apocalypse and at least 15% domestically. 

OK, sorry, sometimes my writing skill is all over the place. What I meant to say is Fox has got tons of chance to work up to a $1B WW blockbuster the way Dark Knight & Marvel movies did at the box office. They have a pretty damn good series up to X3 and I am sure they know by 2007 the overseas market is exploding left & right. They botched it, IMHO, by going smaller: Wolverine standalone, and rebooting the series. They shouldn't have killed Prof X in X3 & should have just recast the role with a different actor ala Oracle role in Matrix Trilogy if they couldn't afford Stewart. 

LOL at not affording Stewart. That had nothing to do with it. He was back at the end of X3, so clearly they had simply gone for a shock death, to be fixed by the start of the next movie...

They definitely DID screw up their chance to build to something greater, but X3 is the point of ignition. That was badly-received, and the thinking was to leave the team movies rest a bit and focus on solo efforts - smaller budgets, bigger return. Wolverine's opening weekend, even with the leak, proved that it wasn't a bad idea. But the quality was lacking and Origins pretty much acted liked B&R and did its best to kill the franchise.

FC obviously hit it out of the park with the casting, getting Fassbender, Lawrence and even McAvoy.

The Wolverine wasn't a bad choice either. It was a medium-budget flick, with a good WW result. It just didn't matter all that much in the grand scheme of things.

DOFP is pretty much what X3 was supposed to be - a sequel to X2 in tone, quality and potential, actually building anticipation for the next one. Had X3 been as good as X2, then chances are an X4 would have come sooner and we would have had these kinds of numbers a bit sooner. As is, it's never too late, and the series is back on track. Apocalypse is looking towards 600+ overseas IMO, if it has the "destruction movie" scope promised. Still not in the billion field, but 800-900 would be fantastic for a franchise that was never as big as Spidey in the early 2000's (and look at the way that franchise s going).