Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

Prometheus was Lindelof.

But enters Orci and here we have red matter and warp-teleportation, things that it's not like we don't have the technology to recreate, they are just not possible, and were only introduced in the story because the guy needed the film to go the way he wanted.

I kinda agree but i feel there's a lot of that in the TV shows as well.

Quality is very subjective. But the fact of the matter is at least the first Trek seemed to have been loved by everyone and their mothers.

I dunno if saying Trek was good despite Orci is entirely fair.

• Like 1

Prometheus was Lindelof.

I kinda agree but i feel there's a lot of that in the TV shows as well.

Quality is very subjective. But the fact of the matter is at least the first Trek seemed to have been loved by everyone and their mothers.

I dunno if saying Trek was good despite Orci is entirely fair.

The problem is Orci and Kurtzman need Abrams to have some semblance of credibility.

• Like 1

Also, it was how the magic blood plot device was handled in STID and TASM2 that was problematic, not the device itself. The device worked like a charm in Edge of Tomorrow.

Actually the entire STiD magic blood is lifted straight from Heroes and used exactly the same.

And both times it was really stupid.

• Like 2

Actually the entire STiD magic blood is lifted straight from Heroes and used exactly the same.

And both times it was really stupid.

I'd really hate to hear if Quinto was the one who pitched it.

On second thought, the writers probably just watched stuff Quinto was in.

Edited by Jay Beezy
  • Like 3

Success doesn't mean quality. Orci is just a bad writer. There are simple Star Trek films that were written that way so they could be appealing to the general public. But in this case Orci's films are just dumb: they have plotholes and scenes that don't make sense, and they introduce plot devices that are more fantasy than science fiction. Up until now the vast majority of ST scripts had a solid scienfitic base, and that was one of the most commendable aspects of the franchise. But enters Orci and here we have red matter and warp-teleportation, things that it's not like we don't have the technology to recreate, they are just not possible, and were only introduced in the story because the guy needed the film to go the way he wanted.

And honestly, the man just doesn't learn: Prometheus, TASM2...there is a pattern there. Big productions, yes, commercial success, maybe, but bad scripts.

Orci didn't do Prometheus.

Absolutely. STID's story has actual concepts and ideas. It makes you think about the lines you are willing to cross when it comes to defend your people. Which is actually one of the main themes of the later seasons of Deep Space Nine.

ST09 is great when it comes to introduce the characters, but when they are done with that you are left with a story about Romulans filled with plotholes and ultimately empty of any substance.

Just wanna bring up something else regarding STID's "concepts and ideas". How much of it actually qualifies as such when at least half of them are taken from someone else's as oppose to actually thought up?

• Like 1

Just wanna bring up something else regarding STID's "concepts and ideas". How much of it actually qualifies as such when at least half of them are taken from someone else's as oppose to actually thought up?

Well, in fairness to that movie, which was fun even though the script didn't exactly go where I wanted...

Pretty much every movie made is made up of ideas from someone else.  That's a fairly pointless complaint unless you can argue it's carbon copy, but borrowing ideas?  If storytelling in any form stopped borrowing ideas, there would be no more new stories.

That being said...yeah, this film borrowed in some ways it really shouldn't have.  Yet, it's a fun film...it just didn't move this franchise forward like it should've.

Edited by kowhite
  • Like 4

funny that Trekkies and fanboys hate STID yet on RT it has 87% critic approval and  90% audience approval.

Not sure about director, but using tired franchises like MI series, MI4 increased with arguably being no better than MI3 other than imax

I think MI3 was better than MI4

• Like 3