Neo

Star Trek Beyond | 7.22.2016 | Not an Oscar winner.

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I don't understand the hate for the recent new ST films.

it's not hate.  I saw both in the theater, just nothing special about them.  Very forgettable and generic flicks, so it shouldn't be hard to be better than those.  Plus they basically had the same story in both films.  Of course, this is all just relates to me.  I don't expect anyone to think my way or try to sway them to my side like some people do :P   If people love them, cool :) 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Does this mean they just don't have enough faith in the film?

I don't think so. One is Paramount, the other CBS. Shows and movies have existed in parallel before. The more Trek, the merrier. ;)

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The first two JJ's Star Trek movies, visual effects were almost all done by ILM.

For this movie, ILM is nowhere to be found.

Budget cuts had to come from somewhere  besides moving locations.  Budget is reported at $150m, down $40m from Into The Darkness and about the same as the first.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/summer-box-office-bombs-studios-619389

Paramount also will look to save money on another Star Trek -- a franchise, but not quite in the top tier. This summer's $190 million production Star Trek Into Darkness has earned over $462 million worldwide; its international haul has exceeded expectations at $234 million, but domestically, its $228.5 million hasn't matched the first film. Whereas the first two were shot in L.A., the next will be filmed in a more tax-friendly location. "We're making it for what it should have been shot for last time if we had made it outside of L.A., which we would have done except that [director J.J. Abrams] didn't want to," says a studio source. "That was a $20 million issue." (Abrams, busy with Star Wars, is unavailable for the third Trek.)

Make no mistakes though visual effects have come a long way and dozens of companies are capable of doing stupendous work.

The old days when ILM and Weta (Digital Domain before they went bankrupt) were the kings is long gone.

Plus all the visual effects companies use the same softwares and middle-wares.

RenderMan, the rendering software created by Ed Catmull & John Lasseter in the 80's is still used to this day (updated of course) in all the biggest visual effects companies.

Same for Massive (Weta Digital) which is still the software king for CGI crowds.

etc etc

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

Most of them write a lot of their own custom code for things, though.

Of course and the big ones do a lot of R&D and create their own softwares they sell afterwards to competitors.

Every visual effects company probably own Massive for example.

Iloura did thier CGI crowd for Fury Road with Massive for example.

3 minutes ago, moviesRus said:

Star Trek 2009 remade A New Hope before The Force Awakens did. 

The very long making of Star Trek'09 on the Blu Ray is hilarious.

JJ can't stop talking about Star Wars in this, I think he s demented.

Star Wars this, Star Wars that  ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Yeah... They're actually really close in terms of qualify.

Into Darkness sucks though

I never got this complaint, do you mind elaborating why it sucks? I thought it was just as entertaining as the first. Maybe it's because I was never a fan of Star Trek? I've heard the fans of the franchise are the ones who truly hate the new movies, but I have no idea why.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Pegg is promoting Friday on twitter, so trailer will likely be out after fan event and in theaters during Holiday weekend

It's about time!