CaptainJackSparrow

Godzilla OS, Huge debut, drops like a stone afterwards.

I bet Godzilla makes more than 3 times as much in China than in Japan.

Why should Japanese watch their cultural heritage in a Hollywood movie?

Sound Of Music is practically unknown in Austria for instance.

Why shouldn't they? If it's done correctly, they will love it. See The Last Samurai. And are you saying that in China it will make more than 100m? Why are people so sure that Godzilla is gonna bomb in Japan? The hype is there. At least $30m is reachable, and if the Japanese love it, $50m is not out of the question.

Predicting Godzilla in Japan is very tough, like any other non-sequel. It may gross anything from 20m-80m. Nobody can say anything for sure.China is more predictable and the gross should be around 70-80m range.

Really? That's surprising. I thought Sound of Music was a great film

I liked it too, but we Austrians are not too keen to watch a movie from the Nazi times as a mainstream atraction.

Similarly I would presume Japanese people don't like to see their monsters used in a Holywood movie.

• Like 1

Why shouldn't they? If it's done correctly, they will love it. See The Last Samurai. And are you saying that in China it will make more than 100m? Why are people so sure that Godzilla is gonna bomb in Japan? The hype is there. At least $30m is reachable, and if the Japanese love it, $50m is not out of the question.

China 100

Japan 30

would not surprise me.

Predicting Godzilla in Japan is very tough, like any other non-sequel. It may gross anything from 20m-80m. Nobody can say anything for sure.China is more predictable and the gross should be around 70-80m range.

You would think in China it could do over $100 mil similar amounts to pacific rim.

I liked it too, but we Austrians are not too keen to watch a movie from the Nazi times as a mainstream atraction.

Similarly I would presume Japanese people don't like to see their monsters used in a Holywood movie.

Well, you presume wrong. Like I said, if it's done correctly, they will love it. Also, I don't think Godzilla will get 100m with TF4 around  the corner.

• Like 1

Well, you presume wrong. Like I said, if it's done correctly, they will love it. Also, I don't think Godzilla will get 100m with TF4 around  the corner.

Yes maybe I am wrong. But I still think that they are predespositioned to dislike it (simply because they mistrust outlanders to do it right).

Last Samurai was done perfectly. Not easy to copy that (even with Ken Watanabe).

Yes maybe I am wrong. But I still think that they are predespositioned to dislike it (simply because they mistrust outlanders to do it right).Last Samurai was done perfectly. Not easy to copy that (even with Ken Watanabe).

It's one of the most anticipated movies of the Summer over there.

once Japanese people see that their icon has been relegated to an extended cameo and the movie mostly focuses on a boring, bland guy walking around for two hours while some blandly designed monsters take the majority of focus, it will crash like it did in most countries. 

Godzilla in China 1 week before Maleficent and 2 weeks before TF4 is probably going to put it short of 100m. 120m is what I think it will do in China + Japan. (220m in rest of the markets. 340m os + 210m dom = 550m ww. Still great.)

Releasing early in China is what helped ASM2 and CA2. We will keep on seeing more of April-Early May releases and late June-July releases. The inbetween seems too crowded for a major market like China which doesn't handle multiple movies well.

Edited by a2k

once Japanese people see that their icon has been relegated to an extended cameo and the movie mostly focuses on a boring, bland guy walking around for two hours while some blandly designed monsters take the majority of focus, it will crash like it did in most countries. 

Was so silly he should of been the focus but it was all about those weird bat like things for the majority of the film.

Godzilla in China 1 week before Maleficent and 2 weeks before TF4 is probably going to put it short of 100m. 120m is what I think it will do in China + Japan. (220m in rest of the markets. 340m os + 210m dom = 550m ww. Still great.)

Releasing early in China is what helped ASM2 and CA2. We will keep on seeing more of April-Early May releases and late June-July releases. The inbetween seems too crowded for a major market like China which doesn't handle multiple movies well.

GODZ has some beautiful shots of monster rampage but it is thin for a movie with this kind of capital resource.

And it doesn't have to be that long, the scene in Hawaii could be compressed into the final fight.

The Vegas scene needs not to be shown at all. The military could be shown in a more active & positive

light: you know, saving folks from death & destruction instead of going gaga over Godzie like the GA:

"O my Godzie, my Gawdz!!" Shuddup put my tax dollars into work!