pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

25 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

That's true. I forgot about directors as well. I guess I was only thinking about the later years before it petered out. I still feel like a majority of them were sold on the lead actor/actress pairing.

That's a main reason they petered out.  They became so dependent on the marque couple or at least the marquee actress that when they lost that, when Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan or Bullock were no longer headlining them they died.  Nancy Meyers was about the only director from the current era who sold them on her name/style as much or maybe even more than her leads.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I was being sarcastic because @HesAPooka listed it as Rom Com along with The Intern, The Other Woman and other non rom coms.

I was hoping that was the case, lol.   I was about to lose all hope for this place.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

That's a main reason they petered out.  They became so dependent on the marque couple or at least the marquee actress that when they lost that, when Julia Roberts, Meg Ryan or Bullock were no longer headlining them they died.  Nancy Meyers was about the only director from the current era who sold them on her name/style as much or maybe even more than her leads.

You've made some insightful posts in this subject. Kudos.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sam said:

I wouldn't count Trainwreck as rom-com either. It's more of a dramedy (that's a word, right? I'm pretty sure it is lol) 

It was a comedy about a womans romantic life.  A woman who falls in love, hits bumps in the relationships and ends up with the guy at the end. That's the definition of rom com. 

2 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

I was being sarcastic because @HesAPooka listed it as Rom Com along with The Intern, The Other Woman and other non rom coms.

I'll give you the intern and  fault, but the other woman is the definition of a rom com and the other movies on my list as well with the exception of last vegas which can be debated, but it was a comedy about older guys and one younger guy trying to finding love ni vegas. 

The other movies I listed are all romcoms.  The Other Woman, Bridget Jones's Baby, The Intern, trainwreck, blended, sex tape, we're the millers, about time, the fault in our stars, think like a man too, top 5, the second best marigold hotel, the hundred foot journey, last vegas, about last night, paper towns.

Just cause there hasn't been a huge rom com in a few years doesn't mean the genre is dead. There are still multiple smaller hits each year. 

Edited by HesAPooka

10 hours ago, trifle said:

I'd honestly like to see her with someone younger.  She's 26 (barely).  That's one reason I am looking forward to Passengers so much, although even Pratt is 10 years older.  And an aspect of it will be Rom/Com but it is a thriller as well, (and focus on what basics people need to live a full life, per the director.)

I spent The Hunger Games movies wishing Katniss would forget about Peeta and Gale to hook up with the Woody Harrelson character or Lenny Kravitz. It isn't like the guys in JLaw's age range are all bad actors, but I feel like her energy/charisma would blow most of them right off the screen, especially in a romantic comedy where she would be very "on". Maybe Michael B Jordan would work, but that would still be mildly controversial, sadly. The genre could use some diversity... Hitch was huge for Will Smith, it counts as a romcom, doesn't it? I think The Rock would do well in something along those lines. 

Edited by BoxOfficeChica
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

I'll give you the intern and  fault, but the other woman is the definition of a rom com and the other movies on my list as well with the exception of last vegas which can be debated, but it was a comedy about older guys and one younger guy trying to finding love ni vegas. 

The other movies I listed are all romcoms.  The Other Woman, Bridget Jones's Baby, The Intern, trainwreck, blended, sex tape, we're the millers, about time, the fault in our stars, think like a man too, top 5, the second best marigold hotel, the hundred foot journey, last vegas, about last night, paper towns.

Just cause there hasn't been a huge rom com in a few years doesn't mean the genre is dead. There are still multiple smaller hits each year. 

We're the Millers is not a Rom Com. If you took out whatever romance elements there were, the movie would barely change. And The Other Woman had romance subplots but was about the female friendship primarily vs. the antagonist.

Edited by Jay Beezy

4 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Never heard of it.

It's a small indie with Lake Bell and Simon Pegg, but it's well done and very aware of all the rom-com tropes, many of which it manages to invert or poke fun at. If you like the genre, I think you'd really like it. I watched it on Netflix. 

1 hour ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

It's a small indie with Lake Bell and Simon Pegg, but it's well done and very aware of all the rom-com tropes, many of which it manages to invert or poke fun at. If you like the genre, I think you'd really like it. I watched it on Netflix. 

I'll look for it. Figures Simon Pegg would be in it. I don't like him at all. So I'm gonna have to get my mind right before watching.:lol:

• Like 2