pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

How so?

The Other Woman, Bridget Jones's Baby, The Intern, trainwreck, blended, sex tape, we're the millers, about time, the fault in our stars, think like a man too, top 5, the second best marigold hotel, the hundred foot journey, last vegas, about last night, paper towns,

Edited by HesAPooka

I am quite sad about the lack of rom-coms in recent years. It's one of my favorite genre. 

It has mostly been all coms, bit of roms thrown in lately. 

And when you thought you might get something decent enough, it turns out to be Aloha. So... yeah

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sam said:

I am quite sad about the lack of rom-coms in recent years. It's one of my favorite genre. 

It has mostly been all coms, bit of roms thrown in lately. 

And when you thought you might get something decent enough, it turns out to be Aloha. So... yeah

Yeah, the big problem is that outside of Apatow and maybe one or two here or there every time they DO make one it ends up being awful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HesAPooka said:

The Other Woman, Bridget Jones's Baby, The Intern, trainwreck, blended, sex tape, we're the millers, about time, the fault in our stars, think like a man too, top 5, the second best marigold hotel, the hundred foot journey, last vegas, about last night, paper towns,

The Intern was no rom com.

2 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

You're forgetting Cameron Diaz who had The other woman come out two years ago and made 200m. Shit put in Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in a rom com and it'll make money. Same withe Cooper and Lawrence.

The Other Woman wasn't a romcom either. More like a revengecom.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, filmlover said:

I think that's the point some are making though. Those kind of movies have evolved into different beasts. The reasons are being discussed here but that's basically what happened.

I do miss movies like Notting Hill and Love Actually though.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, filmlover said:

Next you'll be telling me The Fault In Our Stars,  isn't Rom Com just because it isn't a comedy.   :sadno:

Rom Com = Romantic Comedy.  The core of the film has to be about the Romance, the relationship is paramount, and the movie has to be comedic in nature.

Not just a Romance with a few laughs and not just a Comedy with people hooking up or a sliver of romance. 

Straight Romances in films are also a dying breed in mainstream US cinema.  Unless it's YA or a maudlin cringey Nicholas Sparks movie (or worse, both) they're almost extinct.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Next you'll be telling me The Fault In Our Stars,  isn't Rom Com just because it isn't a comedy.   :sadno:

Rom Com = Romantic Comedy.  The core of the film has to be about the Romance, the relationship is paramount, and the movie has to be comedic in nature.

Not just a Romance with a few laughs and not just a Comedy with people hooking up or a sliver of romance. 

Straight Romances in films are also a dying breed in mainstream US cinema.  Unless it's YA or a maudlin cringey Nicholas Sparks movie (or worse, both) they're almost extinct.

We only get a good straight romance once every nine years when Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy reunite for a Before movie. Sadly those are indies.

Sparks films I think are done considering the studio he set up exclusively for Sparks films shut down after one film.

I think a problem is traditional Rom Coms are too reliant on star power and star vehicles for the most part are dying breeds as well, especially if the star vehicles are formulaic garbage. They were always sold on which two stars were paired together.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HesAPooka said:

You're forgetting Cameron Diaz who had The other woman come out two years ago and made 200m. Shit put in Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone in a rom com and it'll make money. Same withe Cooper and Lawrence.

I'd honestly like to see her with someone younger.  She's 26 (barely).  That's one reason I am looking forward to Passengers so much, although even Pratt is 10 years older.  And an aspect of it will be Rom/Com but it is a thriller as well, (and focus on what basics people need to live a full life, per the director.)

Edited by trifle

• Community Manager
13 hours ago, Sam said:

I wouldn't count Trainwreck as rom-com either. It's more of a dramedy (that's a word, right? I'm pretty sure it is lol) 

For a movie that isn't a rom-com, it sure followed rom-com tropes and formulas down to the meet-cute and the ending.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jay Beezy said:

We only get a good straight romance once every nine years when Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy reunite for a Before movie. Sadly those are indies.

Sparks films I think are done considering the studio he set up exclusively for Sparks films shut down after one film.

I think a problem is traditional Rom Coms are too reliant on star power and star vehicles for the most part are dying breeds as well, especially if the star vehicles are formulaic garbage. They were always sold on which two stars were paired together.

As highlighted in that video feature the better Rom Coms not only had stars but used to also be crafted by some of the best directors and writers - Lubitch, Hawks, Wilder.  Even in the 80s and 90s we had Mike Nchols, Norman Jewison, Robert Zemeckis, John Hughes, Rob Reiner, James L Brooks, Cameron Crowe (the later three who were then at the top of their game).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

As highlighted in that video feature the better Rom Coms not only had stars but used to also be crafted by some of the best directors and writers - Lubitch, Hawks, Wilder.  Even in the 80s and 90s we had Mike Nchols, Norman Jewison, Robert Zemeckis, John Hughes, Rob Reiner, James L Brooks, Cameron Crowe (the later three who were then at the top of their game).

That's true. I forgot about directors as well. I guess I was only thinking about the later years before it petered out. I still feel like a majority of them were sold on the lead actor/actress pairing.

1 hour ago, TalismanRing said:

Your post is confusing. Fault in our stars was not a Rom Com.

• Like 1