pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

53 minutes ago, Moviesareawesomegirl said:

So maybe that's how Deadpool was such a big hit. You know how Marvel Studios always takes the blueprint of a particular movie genre and surrounds it with superhero tropes? Well, Deadpool was a romantic comedy (with explosions, superhero-versus-supervillain fights, and tons of raunchy humor).

Just in case:

Deadpool isn't done by Marvel Studio, it's a 20th Century Fox film (belongs to the mutants and as such they have the film rights, and the rights for Fantastic Four)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Futurist said:

Plenty of movies still have rom com tropes in spades tho.

It s not like luuuuuuuve has disappeared from the screens.

True, that's like how daytime soap operas themselves have mostly died out in America but the weekly dramas and reality shows feature a lot of serial storytelling.

3 hours ago, Arlborn said:

You sure you aren't talking about Focus? 

Yup. Rom-coms still happen, they're just indie or disguised as something else now like the aforementioned Deadpool, Focus and La La Land. 

Focus, and there's also a movie coming up where Idris Elba and Kate Winslet play a pair who end up stranded in the wilderness after a plane crash, so here's the survival story element and not just some "food blogger meets TV anchor" glossy rom-com set up. 

• Like 1

The best rom com that I've seen this decade is season 2 of New Girl. The second best is season 1 of You're the Worst. There's a ton of rom com-y tv shows that are using all the traditional tropes of the genre very effectively. If you miss some Nora Ephron, Richard Curtis 90s magic, you shoold look at television. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Treecraft said:

I'm glad romcoms have died out, 99% of them were terrible.

Yeah, with that kind of tolerance, we'll soon live in a better world.

I don't like Penguins. Hope they die out.
I don't like Pizza, hope they will be out of store forever.

Seriously, what happened with this world?
Everybody seems to think he's the center of the earth. 

You don't like it? Fine.
But why the hell would you rather have it gone for everybody, than to just ignore it?
I don't get it. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Poseidon said:

Yeah, with that kind of tolerance, we'll soon live in a better world.

I don't like Penguins. Hope they die out.
I don't like Pizza, hope they will be out of store forever.

Seriously, what happened with this world?
Everybody seems to think he's the center of the earth. 

You don't like it? Fine.
But why the hell would you rather have it gone for everybody, than to just ignore it?
I don't get it. 

I love you.

• Like 2

On 1/14/2017 at 10:56 AM, Jay Hollywood said:

I love Rom Coms, I miss them. I also really like every single Nancy Meyers film.

Watched this French Rom Com, Blind Date last week, it was cute. 

Never seen it or even heard of it, but just based on the title I want it to be a rom-com where both leads are blind and try to hide it from each other till the end of the movie. Hijinks ensue.

Passengers, like other films, follows the romantic comedies' tropes to a T.

Boy hides something important about his life to get the girl.

Girl learns what that something/lie is about, is furious and (kinda) dumps him.

Boy does or says something to prove his love and win the girl back.

• Like 1

On 15/2/2017 at 2:08 AM, trifle said:

Great article and I still can't believe how Rachel McAdams blew her chance of an a-list career. After Mean Girls-Notebook-Wedding Crashers-Red Eye in a year and a half turned her from nobody to the ultimate It girl, she just stepped away and did nothing for 3 years. I'm not saying she would have become a big star for sure, but she didn't even try.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Joel M said:

Great article and I still can't believe how Rachel McAdams blew her chance of an a-list career. After Mean Girls-Notebook-Wedding Crashers-Red Eye in a year and a half turned her from nobody to the ultimate It girl, she just stepped away and did nothing for 3 years. I'm not saying she would have become a big star for sure, but she didn't even try.

It was a conscious decision.  She didn't want to do those kind of movies or be that kind of star.

15 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

It was a conscious decision.  She didn't want to do those kind of movies or be that kind of star.

I'm not specifically talking about rom coms. She didn't do any kind of movie for a while. She was quickly getting higher in the Hollywood pecking order, she must have had some good projects offered to her.

3 minutes ago, Joel M said:

I'm not specifically talking about rom coms. She didn't do any kind of movie for a while. She was quickly getting higher in the Hollywood pecking order, she must have had some good projects offered to her.

She was being offered a lot of girlfriend roles in big films - Batman Begins, Iron Man etc - and years later wound up doing with Doctor Strange - except she played the ex girlfriend. 

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 1