pretty reckless

Are typical ROM COMS kind of dead?

21 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

Well if your going to watch things on Netflix and if it's still on Netflix I recommend this movie:

Paul Rudd. Another fella I dislike. I like him better than Pegg though. You guys are batting a thousand with these leading men choices.

• Like 2

• Community Manager
16 minutes ago, ecstasy said:

Paul Rudd. Another fella I dislike. I like him better than Pegg though. You guys are batting a thousand with these leading men choices.

Tbf They Came Together is less a romantic comedy and more of a spoof of the whole genre. It's very hilarious.

• Like 3

When the best recommendations people can make for current Rom Coms are those that poke fun at and skewer the genre and/or star Simon Pegg well... "It's dead Jim!"  :lol:

Simon Pegg... really?  I'm with Ecstasy.  He could not be less appealing unless he was Miles Teller - maybe. :sadno:

Paul Rudd I like though.  I've had a bit of crush since Clueless.

Edited by TalismanRing
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

When the best recommendations people can make for current Rom Coms are those that poke fun at and skewer the genre and/or star Simon Pegg well... "It's dead Jim!"  :lol:

Simon Pegg... really?  I'm with Ecstasy.  He could not be less appealing unless he was Miles Teller - maybe. :sadno:

Totally forgot he was in Clueless and I did like him there but he had to go and ruin it all in that movie with Michelle Pfeiffer.  I couldn't figure out why I hated him so much. But it was that movie that did it. Couldn't stand him after that. Irrational I know. But there it is.

MV5BODM3MTQzNDMwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMjQ3

Edited by ecstasy

7 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Yes. :rofl:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NuTella Lover of Sky Beams said:

It's a small indie with Lake Bell and Simon Pegg, but it's well done and very aware of all the rom-com tropes, many of which it manages to invert or poke fun at. If you like the genre, I think you'd really like it. I watched it on Netflix. 

LOL I'm about to watch this now. And I totally missed your last sentence the first time around.

• Like 1

Simon Pegg aside (I'm indifferent toward him), I'm just not sure I should take recommendation from the living fossil on the subject of modern rom-coms. 

They Came Together was ok. I like both Rudd and Poehler, but together, they're not clicking all that much to me. 

Man Up was pretty good. I liked the quirkiness of the characters. Well directed. That dinner scene with his ex and her new man was especially so. It was well acted by all. Olivia Williams and Stephen Campbell Moore had me rolling. I enjoyed it. Reminds me of those Monica Potter films back in the day.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Reporting from 2016.

The genre is 100% dead.

Woah are you a time traveler?

But for real, rom coms can't survive in the era of event films. Low-budgeted high-reviewed indie films could do okay if they just play on the coasts. I think that's a viable future for them.

On another note, look at the country of origin of rom-coms from Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_romantic_comedy_films

If you just skim through the list, they're all from the US/West until mid-2010s. Now they're basically gone from the West and are now produced in Asia. Weird.

2 minutes ago, franfar said:

Woah are you a time traveler?

But for real, rom coms can't survive in the era of event films. Low-budgeted high-reviewed indie films could do okay if they just play on the coasts. I think that's a viable future for them.

On another note, look at the country of origin of rom-coms from Wikipedia:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_romantic_comedy_films

If you just skim through the list, they're all from the US/West until mid-2010s. Now they're basically gone from the West and are now produced in Asia. Weird.

I see a lot of newer ones on Netflix though.