Neo

Pan | Oct. 9, 2015 | New Trailer on Page 25!

Oh, I thought the book and play were still under copyright in the UK. But apparently not? It says it expired in 1987, was reinstated in 1995 and expired again in 2007?

There is specific language in UK copyright law entitling Great Ormond Street Hospital to royalties for every performance and adaptation of Peter Pan (though not creative control, or right to refuse permission).

In the U.S., the play is under copyright, but the book is not.

If it's not public domain, it is still incredibly easy to adapt. I think the fact that we haven't heard of more studios trying is down to the fact that we haven't had a successful live-action Peter Pan-related movie since Hook, and even that was regarded as a disappointment.

As I said before, Disney is probably the only studio that could do a live-action Peter Pan and have it be a basically guaranteed success.

Edited by TServo2049

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/box-office-pan-serious-need-828723

Well...

The Peter Pan origins story may have trouble clearing $30 million in its North American debut over the Oct. 9-11 weekend, a worrisome start for Warner Bros. considering the movie's hefty production budget and marketing spend. Two of the major tracking services have Pan debuting at $21 million to $22 million, while a third has it opening between $26 million and $31 million, according to those with access to the surveys.

I actually heard the 2003 movie was better than people say, and gets a bad rap. But I've also heard people say no, it really was awful. I only remember seeing the trailers with that Coldplay song that was effing everywhere in 2003, and I was too enthralled by ROTK to care.

This could be the least divisive of the live-action Peter Pan movies, in that it may end up having the fewest defenders. But who knows?

Edited by TServo2049

I'm one of those assholes who enjoys Hook but yeah, looks like Peter Pan is never gonna work properly as a movie.

Yeah, the "closest" will be the inevitable Disney live-action reimagining of the 1953 film some time in the next decade. Because they will do it. They definitely will. (They had a Peter and the Starcatchers adaptation in development too, but I feel like this could poison the Pan-prequel well, meaning they'll probably directly mine the 1953 version instead...)

Edited by TServo2049