Films

Weekend estimates:Thor 2 $38.4m, TBMH $30.6m

yeah 2012 made 600m overseas without 3D. Amazing performance. Even though it wasn't a great film I am glad John Cusack and Chiwetel Ejiofor were in a big hit like that. 

I love John Cusack. That's the only reason I watched it, lol.

#Thor intl run led by China $41.8M, Russia $31.6M & UK $27.4M. With Japan to open in FEB, global cume may reach $750M.

https://twitter.com/giteshpandya/status/402103259315195904

Is he expecting 550 M overseas?

Gitesh has gone crazy. 750M is a pipe dream, 700M is a stretch, probably will end with around 600-650M WW. Domestic looks like 200-210 depending on holds. I have to say that Thor 2 underperformed slightly domestically especially given that it had 2 full weeks to itself. It will increase 15-25M from the first domestically i.e. 7% to 12%, not the massive Avengers bump which was expected and pretty much the sequel bump.

Gitesh has gone crazy. 750M is a pipe dream, 700M is a stretch, probably will end with around 600-650M WW. Domestic looks like 200-210 depending on holds. I have to say that Thor 2 underperformed slightly domestically especially given that it had 2 full weeks to itself. It will increase 15-25M from the first domestically i.e. 7% to 12%, not the massive Avengers bump which was expected and pretty much the sequel bump.

Thor: The Dark World did not underperform domestically.

It's going to increase from the first.

• Like 1

I love John Cusack. That's the only reason I watched it, lol.

2012 didn't seem to help Cusack's career all that much, considering that he's doing a lot of straight to DVD - non American films now.

Edited by Fancyarcher

Thor: The Dark World did not underperform domestically.

It's going to increase from the first.

most people were predicting a much bigger increase thanks to The Avengers Effect and the popularity of Loki/Tom Hiddleston. It is a success definitely but domestically it definitely fell under many expectations. 

Everyone forgets the biggest benefit for IM3 was the 3d bump besides avengers. Thor 1 already had 3d and makes comparisons flawed

EXACTLY!IM3's increase domestically was majorly because of the addition of 3-D.T:TDW is already around $480M in just two weeks. It's pretty much exploded overseas where myself (and a few others) have noted that's where there's an Avengers effect.I see the movie finishing around $650M-$670M total. Catching Fire will open big in some territories (I haven't seen a single trailer for it down here) but Thor is 3-D only in a number if territories and it will continue to play big with the family crowd. I don't know about the US but is playing much more like a family movie here than even IM3 and with the holidays coming up, that bodes well for its late waning legs.

most people were predicting a much bigger increase thanks to The Avengers Effect and the popularity of Loki/Tom Hiddleston. It is a success definitely but domestically it definitely fell under many expectations. 

Meh. I surely didn't see a much bigger increase. I was expecting a 20m increase due to Avengers effect. 20m is still a lot of money, imo.

20m increase is basic sequel effect. Its not Avengers effect.

Well some sequels increase and some decrease. So I don't think there's ever a clear cut "basic" sequel effect.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1

Good expansions for The Book Thief and Dallas Buyers Club, 12 Years a Slave is quite a letdown every week.

I want to see the book thief. How much were people expecting for 12 YAS. Doesn't seem like a movie people will come out in droves to see. Seems very brutal and depressing.