Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

Like I said, right after TDKR a bunch of legit IMAX screens got switched. Sucks for anyone who usually goes to those screens and hopes to see Catching Fire's IMAX footage the way it was shot. We are sort of in a transition period waiting on all those screens to get the laser projectors. At that point hopefully they will be able to do a better job projecting IMAX film footage.

Do you know when next year they'll start rolling out the laser projectors? Hopefully before the summer

Lions Gate should have attached Enders to Catching Fire as a double feature like Disney does with their films. That's why John Carter increased when Avengers opened

John Carter was a lot further into its run at that point. Enders is losing 1000 theaters this weekend, the double features would only help it so much

IMAX Midnights/Previews

DH2 is at 2M - http://www.cnn.com/2011/SHOWBIZ/Movies/07/15/potter.premiere/index.html?_s=PM:SHOWBIZ

THG is at 1.3M - http://www.thewrap.com/movies/article/hunger-games-racks-13m-imax-midnight-showings-36511

Unfortunately, no data for TDKR, which probably has the record, but DH2 is the highest figure I can find.  

If this was up 75% on THG, that's 2.28M from IMAX

Are they looking to do the same with the lieMax screens?  Even so, don't they still lack the physical size of the 15/70 screens? 

They lack the size and aspect ratio. LieMAX screens have a similar aspect ratio to HDTV. The IMAX film format is a more square aspect ratio. The biggest LieMAX screen I've been to was around 70 feet wide and 40 feet tall. The real IMAX I've been to in Houston is around 80 feet wide and 60 feet tall. Here is a good image that shows the differences in not only screen height, but also aspect ratio:

Posted Image

Weak preview+midnight number. THG played in only 2000 theaters with shows starting at midnight and it still made $20 million. THG:CF had a much bigger release at 8 PM with IMAX and it has only managed $25 million.

Don't quote me just yet but its matinees appear to be trailing THG at the couple of theaters I usually track. THG sold out every single show after 11 AM Friday in a theater I was tracking last year but THG:CF has no sellouts yet and it is 3:30 PM on the East Coast.

Do you know when next year they'll start rolling out the laser projectors? Hopefully before the summer

I heard mid to late 2014, but no clue if they will pull it off. I am hoping like hell that they can get it done by November when Interstellar comes out. Will be annoyed if Nolan shoots a bunch of that movie in IMAX and then 70% of the real IMAX screens show it letterboxed in the LieMAX format.

• Like 1

They lack the size and aspect ratio. LieMAX screens have a similar aspect ratio to HDTV. The IMAX film format is a more square aspect ratio. The biggest LieMAX screen I've been to was around 70 feet wide and 40 feet tall. The real IMAX I've been to in Houston is around 80 feet wide and 60 feet tall. Here is a good image that shows the differences in not only screen height, but also aspect ratio:

Posted Image

Yeah I felt a little ripped off when I saw Gravity. When you first walk in your like damnnnnn, but of course the movie didn't fill the entire screen. Then I saw Gravity again the next week on a regular screen and I couldn't tell the difference. Felt like money wasted IMO. I dont know when I'll do IMAX again, probably never? Depends.

Edited by Jandrew

Posted Image

What irks me is that all of my local lieMax screens charge higher prices than the 4 local 15/70 Smithsonian IMAX ones (All 72x96).  It's complete BS.  I've hitherto completely refused to set foot in a lieMax screen, so I'm not entirely justified in saying that this seems like a total ripoff, but this seems like a total ripoff. 

Edited by spizzer

It's a great number in a vaccuum but with four years of inflation, IMAX, and showings starting at 8, it's odd that it didn't at least hit the 28 million New Moon did. Hate being pessimistic but it's hard not to consider it slightly disappointing from a statistical perspective, IMO.

• Like 1

It's a great number in a vaccuum but with four years of inflation, IMAX, and showings starting at 8, it's odd that it didn't at least hit the 28 million New Moon did. Hate being pessimistic but it's hard not to consider it slightly disappointing from a statistical perspective, IMO.

4 years?

I heard mid to late 2014, but no clue if they will pull it off. I am hoping like hell that they can get it done by November when Interstellar comes out. Will be annoyed if Nolan shoots a bunch of that movie in IMAX and then 70% of the real IMAX screens show it letterboxed in the LieMAX format.

IMAX is notoriously conservative when it comes to rolling out new technology. They'll put laser projectors in a few theaters and see how they do, and then do a gradual rollout.