Punishment

THG Catching Fire $25.25m Thursday Previews

You know why it wont set any records.

Because I am not going to watch it  and I watched the last one!!!

It lose 12 million I mean 12 bucks right there.

(lol actually going next weekend)

I'm making up for it. I watched the last one 4 weeks into its run. 2 tickets times 15$ extra this weekend  :P

• Like 1

I have no doubt that the potential for it to drop total is there, and not only there, but probable. But it's a sequel. Spider Man 2 dropped from the first but if it was released over a three day it would have done 125+ in 2004. Sequels combine the new fans of casual interest who saw it on the third or fourth weekend last time PLUS the rabid fans. That's why this weekend is the confounding thing. I have no doubt that it might drop below like 375 in total.

The real wildcard is the shift from spring to pre-Thanksgiving release. It's a totally different season and peoples' movie-going habits are quite different.

• Like 2

The real wildcard is the shift from spring to pre-Thanksgiving release. It's a totally different season and peoples' movie-going habits are quite different.

Almost forgot that next weekend is the Thanksgiving 4.5 day weekend. All movies (apart from CF) will probably earn the same amount they make this 3 day weekend over that 4.5 days.

• Like 1

However Lumos

New Moon shattered all records in November.

It is the 2nd biggest opening day in terms of ticket sold.

New Moon's OD was insane.  Had it been released in July it likely would made over 30M from midnight....in 2009 $$$....without IMAX. Crazy. 

This midnight number for Catching Fire validates my theory that films perform better at midnight in the summer versus the winter season. I know many of us had that hunch, but this number really makes it quite obvious.  DH1 was also expected to make around 30M and "disappointed" when it only did 24m...and now we're seeing the same thing happen with Catching Fire.  Therefore, I think it would be safe to assume had Breaking Dawn Part 1 and 2 been released in the summer they would have made around 32-34m at midnight...

I disagree with this completely.  The problem with this board is that there is no perspective.  When Twilight sequels all get crazy midnight numbers, too many people think that is now the norm for a big film, when in reality many have lost perspective.  DH1 was the penultimate in the series, so the rush factor was big but nothing close to DH2.  And to further disprove your assertion that it is harder in the winter to make 30 mill at midnight, NM, BD1 and BD2 opened in November and they did 30 mill or close to it at midnight.  So it has nothing to do with the time of year it opens, but rather the rush factor.  Just think for one minute how big a 30 million midnight is.  We're used to it now but in 2009 when NM did almost 29 mill, it shocked the industry.

• Like 1

I know I'm getting defensive in this topic about CF's potential, but box office has been such an awesome thing since I discovered BOM in March 2008, and since then, the most exciting box office weekends have been TDK, Hunger Games, Avengers, New Moon, and movies like that- movies that did truly SPECTACULAR. Since Avengers, TDKR was dark days, Skyfall had a wonderful leggy run that was awesome but slow burn, Hobbit and BD2 disappointed, DM2 was good but forgettable, and IM3's OW was great but not spectacular in that sense of WOW, plus I hated the movie. I love box office. It's been a year and a half of merely great OWs. I wanted something fucking awesome. I hope it still comes through! :)

• Like 2

Almost forgot that next weekend is the Thanksgiving 4.5 day weekend. All movies (apart from CF) will probably earn the same amount they make this 3 day weekend over that 4.5 days.

That's something people need to remember. There's a lot of people who will be waiting to see it next week. My sister and I are seeing it for the first time on Tuesday. I'm sure there are millions of others who will be doing the same.

• Like 1

I know I'm getting defensive in this topic about CF's potential, but box office has been such an awesome thing since I discovered BOM in March 2008, and since then, the most exciting box office weekends have been TDK, Hunger Games, Avengers, New Moon, and movies like that- movies that did truly SPECTACULAR. Since Avengers, TDKR was dark days, Skyfall had a wonderful leggy run that was awesome but slow burn, Hobbit and BD2 disappointed, DM2 was good but forgettable, and IM3's OW was great but not spectacular in that sense of WOW, plus I hated the movie. I love box office. It's been a year and a half of merely great OWs. I wanted something fucking awesome. I hope it still comes through! :)

And that's the problem with people here. IM3 had the second biggest OW of all time! Second biggest of all time!! And people were just "meh". Okay, maybe that's a bit of exaggeration, but there were a few people like that.

• Like 4

And that's the problem with people here. IM3 had the second biggest OW of all time! Second biggest of all time!! And people were just "meh". Okay, maybe that's a bit of exaggeration, but there were a few people like that.

I know, I know. It's all a matter of perspective and such. But the most entertaining or crazy thing about IM3 was just BKB's antics. It didn't feel like an event. Brilliant run, but not an event.

2nd biggest OW wasn't WOW enough for you? That sucks

• Like 1

You mean actually being positive around here?  God forbid someone wants to talk about movies and box office without being all doom and gloom.  I swear some of you guys should start posting here: http://emo-corner.com/forums/

TA2 opened to 225 million

Eh I dont care for this world.