ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

1 hour ago, goldenstate5 said:

From what I heard, the bulk of the additions were longer (and more) vista shots. I liked the idea of the Roadshow, but the overture was a little weird because the opening credits play almost a duplicate of the score heard just prior.

That's basically what an overture is: highlights of the main theme(s) while giving last-minute stragglers a chance to find their seats. 

21 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Cool.

However, what my friend was referring to (and what I meant) was not the quality of the print but that the film itself wasn't a good fit for the 70mm format. What's your take on that?

I think it's a narrow-minded view that the only "appropriate" use of an "epic" format like 70mm is for wide vistas. Grain, clarity, color, and the ultra-wide framing are also big pluses and were used well in the movie. 

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I think it's a narrow-minded view that the only "appropriate" use of an "epic" format like 70mm is for wide vistas. Grain, clarity, color, and the ultra-wide framing are also big pluses and were used well in the movie. 

Probably also helped mostly shooting 70mm in a controlled environment. But it is a small scale movie, which people generally don't think when using large format.

I'll certainly watch it again, but not anytime soon. I'll get back to it in a year or two. May be my least favorite Tarantino film. Not saying it's bad, but it just feels like one of those slow burning Taratino scenes with tension building and an explosion of violence but spread out over a 3 hour movie. First half I almost checked my phone to see the time, super slow, though the bit right before intermission was great. 2nd half was much, much faster. My main problem is that the movie feels almost like a parody of Taratino, it's just so indulgent. I felt like with the setup, the film could have been more fun, inventive, and surprising, but the end result was good enough. Definitely a cinema experience I'm happy I had.

5 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I guess the difference is I liked the slow burn. 

Nothing wrong with that. The slow stuff sets up the 2nd half well, but there probably is some stuff to cut in the 1st half. It's the most Tarantino movie ever though. Like I said it's that one scene Tarantino does best but done over a whole movie. Interesting experiment, and it's ultimately successful. Tarantino is plagiarizing himself more so than other directors he loves (I mean that in the nicest way possible). Interesting that Tarantino does a straight hero's tale (Django) and follows up with a movie with no, or very few, likable characters.

• Like 2

• Founder / Operator

I pretty much agree with the sentiment that this is Tarantino at his most "Tarantino" since the likes of Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. It definitely felt to me like a passion project that wasn't as commercial as his recent efforts beforehand. Relatively speaking, I felt like it was his Interstellar.

Not knocking it in any way. It's low on my list of Tarantino films, but I walked out of the theater feeling like my money was still well spent to see an auteur putting something like that up on the screen in 2015/2016.

Personal Quentin favorites remain Basterds and Pulp FictionDjango has also moved up my chart with repeat viewings.

Oh, and... Walton Goggins. My man.

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I guess the difference is I liked the slow burn. 

I thought the stagecoach traveling part could have been trimmed a bit, but I loved Chapter 3. Would have liked even more of the slow build of tension.

My one issue with the chapter though is

Spoiler

Warren has essentially figured out that Bob is up to no good by the time he eats the stew, yet instead of pulling Ruth aside to let him know, goes off to have his epic showdown with General Dern. The poisoning only confirms to him that there's a second inside man. Really just a nitpick, but I think considering how suspicious he is of Bob in the stables and how Ruth did bring him into the Circle of Trust, it seems a little out of character for not to warn Ruth, since Ruth would be more on guard afterwards.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I thought the stagecoach traveling part could have been trimmed a bit, but I loved Chapter 3. Would have liked even more of the slow build of tension.

My one issue with the chapter though is

Hide contents

Warren has essentially figured out that Bob is up to no good by the time he eats the stew, yet instead of pulling Ruth aside to let him know, goes off to have his epic showdown with General Dern. The poisoning only confirms to him that there's a second inside man. Really just a nitpick, but I think considering how suspicious he is of Bob in the stables and how Ruth did bring him into the Circle of Trust, it seems a little out of character for not to warn Ruth, since Ruth would be more on guard afterwards.

I think he's a patient guy. He's willing to wait things out if it'll help him in the long run. Regardless of his handshake with Ruth, his priority's more about himself, and Bob's nefarious ways, while highly suspicious, don't really tie him to Domergue.

That would make sense, except for how

Spoiler

He deliberately provokes Smithers into a shootout, something that is certain to increase the tension and boiling point in the building. It's fairly careless of him, regardless of how certain he is he will outdraw Smithers.

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

That would make sense, except for how

Reveal hidden contents

Well, isn't much of the point of the whole affair

that racial hatred and tensions are a flashpoint for hot tempers and violence? Smithers was about as vocal a racist as you can be, and I think Warren decided right then and there he was gonna take him out... only do it "legally".

Just now, tonytr87 said:

I was with the movie

Hidden Content

Watch those spoilers, man. You mean when they

decided to mete out frontier justice to a murderer who was trying to escape civilized justice?

Fit entirely within the framework of the whole movie, especially given

Tim Roth's speech about this exact concept.

And of course, there's the title to give you a hint about everyone to begin with.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Watch those spoilers, man. You mean when they

Hidden Content

Fit entirely within the framework of the whole movie, especially given

Hidden Content

And of course, there's the title to give you a hint about everyone to begin with.

Whoa, sorry about that. Wasn't thinking I guess. Frontier justice themes just ain't enough for me to say all of that buildup was worth it, especially considering the film was more about racial animus than it was the morals of law enforcement. 

29 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Whoa, sorry about that. Wasn't thinking I guess. Frontier justice themes just ain't enough for me to say all of that buildup was worth it, especially considering the film was more about racial animus than it was the morals of law enforcement. 

Right, so it's interesting and provoking that

racial animus was put aside for the purposes of frontier justice.

• Like 2

The acting honors obviously go to the four mains (Jackson, Russell, Leigh, and Goggins).

As far as QT 2000s films go I would say:

Kill Bill Volume 2

Inglourious Basterds

Django Unchained

Kill Bill Volume 1

The Hateful Eight

Death Proof

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

The acting honors obviously go to the four mains (Jackson, Russell, Leigh, and Goggins).

As far as QT 2000s films go I would say:

Kill Bill Volume 2

Inglourious Basterds

Django Unchained

Kill Bill Volume 1

The Hateful Eight

Death Proof

Rank the QTs? Tentatively...

Hateful

Django

Kill Bill V2

Basterds