ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

17 minutes ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I disagree with your #1. Felt it added a lot of immediate tension and drama to an otherwise very sedate scene.

Hidden Content

I may like the scene better with more thought, but my initial reaction to it was a bit underwhelmed, bit too matter-of-fact and unremarkable which led to an odd-feeling tone shift when

Spoiler

Mannix approaches the coffee and the Morricone music suddenly swoops in to say "OH NO, MANNIX MAY DIE!"

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, 4815162342 said:

I may like the scene better with more thought, but my initial reaction to it was a bit underwhelmed, bit too matter-of-fact and unremarkable which led to an odd-feeling tone shift when

Reveal hidden contents

Heh. I dunno, I thought it was all pretty cheeky

what with the random narrator and all.

In any case, to me the Agatha Christie aspect seemed more like a neat little tribute than any sort of main focus.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

I was gonna suggest Lucy Liu. 

I think Sherlock v UNCLE (and probably the future of Arthur) show that Richie needs an above the title star to make bank.

1 hour ago, rukaio101 said:

Guest starring Jean Reno as Hercule Poirot.

Brad Pitt (think of all the possibilities and that accent)

4 hours ago, The Stingray said:

How's the 70mm?

Friend of mine called it pointless PR bullshit.

It's film and clearly so. Nice textured grain, rich color, great detail on the faces and textures in the snow, but I'm sure if you saw it in a nicely-projected digital presentation it's not like you saw some travesty. What I enjoyed more than anything was the whole roadshow presentation, with the overture and intermission. 

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

I saw the regular version, so can someone who saw the 70mm version put in tags what extra stuff was in the film besides the overture and intermission?

I don't have any point of comparison. Maybe some movie site put together a list?

• Like 5

From what I heard, the bulk of the additions were longer (and more) vista shots. I liked the idea of the Roadshow, but the overture was a little weird because the opening credits play almost a duplicate of the score heard just prior.

Great movie, the nature of the movie gives it a stage play feel, and the intermission adds to it tenfold. It's pretty much exactly where the first act would end if The Hateful Eight were a live play. (and it's a great cliffhanger to that is the exact point where Tarantino takes this movie to the next level)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

It's film and clearly so. Nice textured grain, rich color, great detail on the faces and textures in the snow, but I'm sure if you saw it in a nicely-projected digital presentation it's not like you saw some travesty. What I enjoyed more than anything was the whole roadshow presentation, with the overture and intermission. 

Cool.

However, what my friend was referring to (and what I meant) was not the quality of the print but that the film itself wasn't a good fit for the 70mm format. What's your take on that?

Edited by The Stingray