ChD

The Hateful Eight | Out NOW in Digital and 70mm | 187 minutes long including a 12 minutes intermission

On December 31, 2015 at 9:06 PM, Darth Rallax said:

Goddamn that was some good shit. 

Ikr? This movie is so indulgently Tarantino. And for me, that's a good thing.

How was the 70mm at Palladium? It didn't add much to the experience for me.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Sam said:

Ikr? This movie is so indulgently Tarantino. And for me, that's a good thing.

How was the 70mm at Palladium? It didn't add much to the experience for me.

It was good!  I don't really know what it added until I see the regular version, lol.

But, I feel compelled to support him wherever I can and if he made it in 70mm, I wasn't going to miss it!  

• Like 3

Saw this yesterday & I loved it!

Two stray thoughts/criticisms:

1. Tim Roth was clearly playing a part Quinton wrote for Waltz. He was do a spot on Waltz impersonation. It got a little bit distracting at a few points. 

2. Damian Bichir was kind of cartoonish almost to the point like he thought he was acting in a different movie that wasn't as serious. Easily the worst performance in my opinion. 

Everything else about the movie was great!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Pretty sure Tarantino claimed that he wrote Roth's part for him, it may be similar to how Waltz would have played it but at no point was he actually supposed to play it. 

Okay. Good to know. 

I like how this fits back into the way of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction where this is no hero. Yeah, Inglourious Basterds has everyone being a jackass, but Brad Pitt and Shosanna are still painted as heroes in a way. Everyone in this is despicable and it's glorious

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Blan Solo said:

I like how this fits back into the way of Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction where this is no hero. Yeah, Inglourious Basterds has everyone being a jackass, but Brad Pitt and Shosanna are still painted as heroes in a way. Everyone in this is despicable and it's glorious

Yeah, I didn't realize there were a bunch of people that were upset at how mean and nasty these characters are.  I mean it's Tarantino!  He doesn't do honest to goodness "good guys."  

But, like he always does, he layers them pretty thick and they aren't all starkly evil, they all seem to have a "code" that they live by and I really like that about them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Blan Solo said:

Eh, I dunno, certainly Mr. Orange, and maybe Jules and Butch all seem to be the clear "heroes" in their stories--maybe not quite in the traditional sense, but no less than the Basterds and Shoshanna. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kevin Bacon said:

Eh, I dunno, certainly Mr. Orange, and maybe Jules and Butch all seem to be the clear "heroes" in their stories--maybe not quite in the traditional sense, but no less than the Basterds and Shoshanna. 

Orange, Jackie Brown, Max Cherry, Django and King Schultz all mostly qualify as heroes, I think. 

Favorite film of 2015 so far, and Top 4 Tarantino.

Samuel L. Jackson is totally awesome, Tarantino always have something different for him. Samuel in Django deserved an Oscar nomination. But Jennifer Leigh is the real beast here, i just hope see her in the awards.

Guys, this shits is real good!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blan Solo said:

That's not true.

Spoiler

I'll always remember you OB

• Like 6

Movie was good. Not up to the same level as most of QT's other 2000s work, but still a pretty good outing. First and second chapters could each have done with a slight trim. The third chapter is very, very good at building up tension to a boiling point, but the film makes two missteps in the fourth chapter

Spoiler

1. Revealing that the coffee was poisoned. I know it is QT being QT, but it really takes a lot of surprise and drama out of Kurt Russell dying so suddenly. In some ways the poison reveal could have worked, but the way events played out between the reveal and the deaths, it felt kind of flat.

2. Revealing Channing Tatum in the cellar. I think it would have worked far better if we just saw a gun barrel and the Tatum reveal was held off for when Jody shows up in Chapter 5.

The gore level is definitely a bit over the top here. Kill Bill 1 had the excuse of being an almost cartoonish homage to martial arts films, but this film is pretty subdued for over halfway through. I do think that the mystery angle kind of fizzles out a bit as QT lays all of the cards on the table barely after revealing he has some up his sleeve. The events of the sixth chapter kind of just felt like a foregone conclusion slowly playing out on the screen. I think that chapter could definitely have been trimmed a decent amount.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4