baumer

Frozen (2013)

107 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Beautiful animation, funny, engaging, and charming.

Sadly though, I think the music is mostly fairly good to average, nothing special. I didn't like the song Let It Go when I first heard it and was hoping that watching and hearing it in the context of the movie would change my mind, but nah  -_- But they were integrated and used well in the movie.

The twist about evil prince is kinda surprising and refreshing. Love the bantering between Anna and Kristoff. Olaf is so cute and funny, full of hearts too. 

One complaint from me about the story is that I wish Elsa would be involved more, as it was, I thought she was a bit underdeveloped and one-note.

Overall, it's a very good animated movie from Disney. beautiful with hearts and a good story. I had a blast watching it in theater with my little cousins, who all enjoyed the movie immensely. 

A- from me. 

To keep up with all the rankings above, I would say that for me, Tangled is better. As for this year, I loved both MU and Frozen, but as a college student, MU really connects with me in more ways than one. Both movies are fantastic, and I'm happy to get 2 great animations like this in 2013.

• Like 2

I just finished watching it and I have to say that it was a pretty good movie. I mean, it wasn't the masterpiece I expected (It's a tad better than Tangled) since everyone was calling it the best movie since The Lion King.

I have to say the animation was pretty good (despite watching it in a shitty quality, it wasn't hard to notice). The songs, though, were meh. The only one I liked was 'Let it Go' which was way better in the movie. It connected well with everything what was happening and with the gorgeous animation, but as a stand alone, it's weak.

It was fun. The supporting characters were a bit weaker in Tangled. I also didn't like that the movie steps were basically the same as in Tangled and they both had the same chicken out at the end. I don't understand who falls for the 'death scene' at the end when it's pretty obvious they are always rescued 10 seconds after the last second, because why not.

Overall, enjoyable movie. The setting and the sisters made it better than Tangled because there was a more detailed relationship between the two of them and the script was a little better.

Since Tangled got an A+, I don't see why this wouldn't.

I felt the same way about this film that I do about Hunchback of Notre Dame. There are obvious flaws to it and they don't focus on the better elements as much as they should do, but damned if I didn't enjoy the hell out of it anyway. 

Easily the best parts were the ones involving Elsa, especially the relationship between her and Anna. I loved the first third of the movie for that reason. But after Let it Go (which deserves the Oscar it'll probably win), she kinda dropped off the radar for much of the movie, which bugged me.

Olaf was an okay comic relief. Didn't love him or hate him. I have to admit, I thought his song was the worst in the movie, but Kristoph's 'I'm gonna tell him' made me laugh a lot.

Speaking of songs, I loved the ones up until Let it Go (my favourite) then after that they just became okay or forgettable.

Hans was a great villain. Admittedly, I'd heard about it beforehand, but his reveal was so well done, there were audible gasps in the cinema. I think he should've gotten more screentime though, like Elsa.

Honestly, like Tangled before it, I think the weakest point of the film is the love interest, Kristoff. While he's not a bad character, by any means, he's a bit bland and really isn't interesting enough to support the amount of screentime he got, especially when much of it could've gone to more interesting characters like Elsa and Hans.

Despite my misgivings with the film though, I really can't give it any lower than an A- no matter how I try. It has a lot more flaws than a lot of B-rated Movies I've watched this year, but I enjoyed it too much to give it any lower.

Honestly, like Tangled before it, I think the weakest point of the film is the love interest, Kristoff. While he's not a bad character, by any means, he's a bit bland and really isn't interesting enough to support the amount of screentime he got, especially when much of it could've gone to more interesting characters like Elsa and Hans.

Aw, no love for Eugene Fitzherbert?
  • Like 1

Aw, no love for Eugene Fitzherbert?

Not really. Maybe it's because the trailers we got hyped him as being more important and funnier than he actually ended up being. Either way, he wasn't that interesting to me, compared to Rapunzel and Gothel. And Maximus. Because that horse was a fucking badass.

• Like 2

Not really. Maybe it's because the trailers we got hyped him as being more important and funnier than he actually ended up being. Either way, he wasn't that interesting to me, compared to Rapunzel and Gothel. And Maximus. Because that horse was a fucking badass.

I see. So you're like Rapunzel at the beginning, not at all impressed by his smolder.

Does Gaston count as a love interest? :P Cause he would beat all those guys handily in the entertainment department. Except maybe Aladdin, but then Aladdin was the titular character so he's not really qualified as merely a 'love interest'.

I see. So you're like Rapunzel at the beginning, not at all impressed by his smolder.

Honestly, I liked him most near the beginning, when he seemed to have the most personality, but he grated on me as the film went on and got more serious, so his goofy side was toned down.

I can't think of a Disney love interest that I found more entertaining than Kristoff. He was hilarious, and their relationship developed at a good pace.

There's a difference between interesting and entertaining. I much prefer the Beast as a character/love interest to Kristoff but I'll admit I laughed more at Kristoff than the Beast. I do actually like Kristoff and his snarkery, but he wasn't that interesting compared to many other characters, and he got too much screentime which wasn't needed.

He reminded me a lot of Phoebus from Hunchback of Notre Dame, both in design and personality, but the difference is that Phoebus was used more sparingly and just when he needed to be. Not to mention, Quasimodo's dislike of him gave him a different relationship to explore, rather than just the relationship between him and Esmeralda. Not to mention his relationship with Frollo (Not in that way. Ew). Aside from Sven, Kristoff didn't get much of relationship with anyone other than Anna (except maybe the trolls, which was pretty glanced over). And his relationship with Anna was the pretty standard 'couple don't like each other at the start then come to love each other through their journey' cliche. While I have absolutely nothing against cliches, they can be irritating if done badly. This one was just done... okayish.

I thought this movie was going to be a flaming turd after the teaser trailer, and that there was no way that it would be good.

I guess I have to eat crow now because, to my surprise, this is the best animated film I've seen since Wreck it Ralph, and 'Let it go' could easily be in the top 20 animated Disney songs I've heard. I'm to tired to write a full review right now, so I'll just say the score.

Yep, add me to the love fest.  Might be my favourite animated movie since I was a kid.  And I could just echo what everyone else has said, but I'll go in a little bit different of a direction.  

Josh Gad might be mu favourite actor now.  I'm not sure where this guy came from.  All I remember was seeing him in Love and Other Drugs, loving him and now everything I see him in he just fascinates me.  His voice in here really matches the character and he made a great film damn near perfect.

9.5/10

• Like 6

Yep, add me to the love fest. Might be my favourite animated movie since I was a kid. And I could just echo what everyone else has said, but I'll go in a little bit different of a direction. Josh Gad might be mu favourite actor now. I'm not sure where this guy came from. All I remember was seeing him in Love and Other Drugs, loving him and now everything I see him in he just fascinates me. His voice in here really matches the character and he made a great film damn near perfect.9.5/10

Glad to hear you love it, B.Agree about Josh Gad. His voice really suits the character of Olaf and brought him to life. Olaf is such a sweet character, the part where he said: 'Some people are worth melting for' got a collective "aw" in my theater.
  • Like 2

"With smart humor, a nearly Disney cliche defying plot, and memorable music, Frozen reigns in as, not only the best animated film of the year by far, but one of the most entertaining outings 2013 has to offer."
More At
  • Like 1

A rewatch makes this even better. Fairly certain this joins the list of true Disney classics within a few years. :D

It's in my top 10 Disney animations. I loved it even more on my 2nd viewing and Olaf, just loved his character so much. Every scene he was in was pure magic. :)  

Edited by druv10
  • Like 2