baumer

Frozen (2013)

107 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

A+ because there is no Disney princess movie I will not give an A+ to. But man do I ever long for the days of my youth and my hand drawn princesses.  It's getting to the the point where I can't even tell where the Barbie straight to video princesses end and the Disney Princesses begin.

Posted Image

My issues with the animation aside it was alright. It's not cracking into the top half of my princess rankings (It was no Rapunzel) but at least it was no Princess and the Frog. Good dialogue, decent songs (especially the snowman's), reasonable twist with the prince being ~evil~ and the trolls personality-wise reminded me of Fraggles (so big plus there).

Also Disney better check themselves. Right as i'm settling down to enjoy a movie I don't need a big wave to come along and orphan anyone. Disney was so wrong for that. What is their obsession with killing parents?

If they were just aiming for the target audience of young girls then I think this does the job as good as any Disney princess flick, but unlike many of the Disney classics, I think it will leave most other audiences lacking. The movie was actually too cutesy, imo. There were points that I actually felt embarrassed to be in a theater watching this as a 23 year old, kinda like I was watching a Barney movie or something. :lol: And if you know me at all you know I love animation, so it's not like I think animation is too kiddy for me or something. I can't imagine boys over 8 liking this at all, and a lot of girls over that age may not either. Olaf is the one saving grace for the older audience I think, but it just has nowhere near the smooth sophistication of a Mermaid, Beast, or a Tangled.

I absolutely hated the music, which is what I heard the most hype about and was expecting to love. They went way too Broadway with it, and that's not the style of music that worked so great for them in the 90's. I hate that they were just singing the dialogue at many points. I want real sing a long songs from a Disney movie, not Les Mis musical dialogue recitals. :unsure: Let It Go and that Troll song were the only two that were more traditional, but then those felt kinda forgettable too. I honestly give the music a D-, bordering on an F. My least favorite Disney animation soundtrack since I don't know when.

On the plus side I did think the animation was drop dead gorgeous, particularly during the Let It Go number. WDA seems every bit as talented as Pixar these days in that department. Overall, I give this a C+. My least favorite WDA film since Chicken Little.

Edited by MovieMan89

Well, that was quite awesome. Definitely the best Lasseter-era WDA film so far. The visuals (including some unexpected action setpieces) are glorious, which goes to show that you can't really judge them until you see them on the big screen. While the songs are good, I think the humor is what will stick with me the most, with Ana, Kristoff, and Olaf all getting great lines. But of the songs, "For the First Time in Forever" was probably the highlight.

A

• Like 2

List of Disney films with dead parents:BambiJungle BookFox and the HoundLion KingHunchback of Notre DameTarzanBrother Bear

Actually,

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves (not mentioned in the film, but they are dead)

Bambi

Cinderella

The Sword in The StoneJungle Book

The Rescuers (they might be alive, but Penny was an orphan nonetheless)Fox and the HoundLion KingHunchback of Notre DameTarzan

Lilo & StitchBrother Bear

The Princess and Frog (Tiana's father)

It's just how Disney rolls... :P

• Like 1

A+ A+ A+ A+ A+ I cannot express how much I love stories like The Catcher in the Rye where bubbly and devoted little sisters save the day and their moody, depressed, conflicted elder siblings too, having an amazing little sister myself. And Frozen delivered in that regard!  Other departments the movie hit it out of the ballpark: Anna and Elsa, the two most complex and human female characters in the history of animation, with the most touching sibling relationship ever, brilliant songs and score which hark back to the Disney Renaissance Era, a wonderfully relatable male love interest in Kristoff, a fun and sweet sidekick in Olaf, breathtaking visuals and snow/Norwegian motifs, and Jennifer Lee's insanely creative and emotion charged script.

Cannot wait to see it for the second time. May possibly replace The Incredibles as my favorite animated movie of the 21st century!

• Like 3

Saw it today and I loved it! The musical numbers in the movie were amazing! I already liked the songs before the movie, but seeing them with the animation to go with it made them even better!

The animation in the movie was really good, I thought.

It is my favorite animated movie since Toy Story 3 and my favorite Disney Animated Movie since atleast Mulan or maybe even Lion King. I really liked it that much.

I would give it an A or maybe even an A+

It is maybe my favorite movie of the year so far.

1. Frozen2. Tangled3. Wreck-it Ralph4. Meet the Robinsons5. The Princess and the Frog6. BoltThe list is separated into two with the first half having the new renaissance films :P And no, I don't consider Chicken Little as part of the Disney Animation canon.

Edited by Dingdong123
  • Like 2