lilmac

Weekend estimates: CF-$74.5; FRZ-$66.7; Thor2-$11.1

Anyone think that The Hunger Games franchise might better compared to LOTR ... 

Ok looking over the past 10 years, which films have made > 300m (yeah not including 400m as this could be the first) in their first entry and the 2nd entry in the franchise has outgrossed the first entry....

Lord of the Rings (Obviously) TTT > FOTR :) ~ of course ROTK trounced both of them ;) )

Pirates of the Carribean (though it's 3rd film saw a decline and 4th film dipped even further)

Transformers (as in pirates, the 2nd film was the peak)

in the case of Pirates and Transformers, the 2nd film's quality was considered to be a drop off while LOTR 2nd film is by many considered to be an improvement over the 1st.  hence the comparison between THG and LOTR.  only difference being that THG will have 4 films to play out rather than 3 ... so the impact of that is unknown. 

Something else to consider, no matter how bad a film is even split, in regards to franchises, it's the previous films goodwill which seems to help a film do worse or better than it's predecessor.  Given CF appears to be universally considered better than the first film which was well liked anyway. I would not surprised if MJ 1 manages > 400m also (assuming that CF makes 400m which appears extremely likely at this point!)

Could all 4 films make it past 400m ?  

oh and insane hold by CF here... most impressive...

As for Frozen.... Just plain shock (I was thinking tangled numbers at best)... i'm frozen :P  and yes as many have said already.. disney is rolling in it this year :P and next and next and next ;)

• Like 3

Anyone think that The Hunger Games franchise might better compared to LOTR ... 

Ok looking over the past 10 years, which films have made > 300m (yeah not including 400m as this could be the first) in their first entry and the 2nd entry in the franchise has outgrossed the first entry....

Lord of the Rings (Obviously) TTT > FOTR :) ~ of course ROTK trounced both of them ;) )

Pirates of the Carribean (though it's 3rd film saw a decline and 4th film dipped even further)

Transformers (as in pirates, the 2nd film was the peak)

in the case of Pirates and Transformers, the 2nd film's quality was considered to be a drop off while LOTR 2nd film is by many considered to be an improvement over the 1st.  hence the comparison between THG and LOTR.  only difference being that THG will have 4 films to play out rather than 3 ... so the impact of that is unknown. 

Something else to consider, no matter how bad a film is even split, in regards to franchises, it's the previous films goodwill which seems to help a film do worse or better than it's predecessor.  Given CF appears to be universally considered better than the first film which was well liked anyway. I would not surprised if MJ 1 manages > 400m also (assuming that CF makes 400m which appears extremely likely at this point!)

Could all 4 films make it past 400m ?  

oh and insane hold by CF here... most impressive...

As for Frozen.... Just plain shock (I was thinking tangled numbers at best)... i'm frozen :P  and yes as many have said already.. disney is rolling in it this year :P and next and next and next ;)

Mockingjay 1 will be below 400M until this one actually reaches 450-470M... Mockingjay 2 has a chance at 500-520M, and that mostly because I feel that Lionsgate will convert it in 3D.

If not, I say Mockingjay will do 380M and Mockingjay 2 will do 475 (CF will do 410-420)

Well I don't understand how you can't.

It's a terrible movie. I mean, if I would've expected THAT kind of movie, I would've loved it. But everyone kept saying that the movie was a serious one - including directors/actors in interviews - and the trailers all suggested a serious movie only to give us a complete joke.

• Like 4

I thought IM3 was a good film, and compared IM2 was a big improvement IMHO.... but when put on the pedestal that Avengers has been put it just didn't stand a chance... same for Thor 2 and same will go for Captain America 2..... these films will not compare to the whole... 

they are still successful in their own right and as seperate franchises, but together... they blow the lot away :P

This is the issue a lot of reviews from here have... i think they are trying to put the seperate franchise films on the same level as the avengers... hence the disappointment for a result which frankly was brilliant and the film itself is actually quite good when you ignore how good avengers was for a second.

Edited by Jajang

Elaborate, please.

You always seem to look more into movies like acting story and stuff like that, yet Iron Man 3 didn't get that kind of treatment. It had jokes = good.

Edited by ChD

It's a terrible movie. I mean, if I would've expected THAT kind of movie, I would've loved it. But everyone kept saying that the movie was a serious one - including directors/actors in interviews - and the trailers all suggested a serious movie only to give us a complete joke.

Well they gave you and others a complete joke. I didn't see it that way. I really enjoyed it and bought the blu ray. There's no law that says everybody has to like the same things. But hey if you didn't like it that's fine. Don't knock on us who did. I don't like the TDKR at all. I didn't care for Pacific Rim either.  But I don't care if anyone else likes it. I don't need to understand why they do. Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 9

You always seem to look more into movies like acting story and stuff like that, yet Iron Man 3 didn't get that kind of treatment. It had jokes = good.

I like fluff sometimes. Pacific Rim is one of my favorite movies this year. The fluff just has to be well thought out, entertaining and hopefully even a bit creative unlike movies such as Thor: The Dark World or Man of Steel.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

Well they gave you and others a complete joke. I didn't see it that way. I really enjoyed it and bought the blu ray. There's no law that says everybody has to like the same things. But hey if you didn't like it that's fine. Don't knock on us who did.

How did I knock on you? Did I say you had bad movie taste? No. Did I say you were stupid for liking Iron Man 3? No. I just voiced my opinion - I didn't knock on anyone for liking it.

• Like 1

How did I knock on you? Did I say you had bad movie taste? No. Did I say you were stupid for liking Iron Man 3? No. I just voiced my opinion - I didn't knock on anyone for liking it.

Well okay then. My apologies and I'll leave it there.

• Like 1

IM3 is a decent film that could have been great. The themes it tackled were ambitious but the execution was terrible sometimes. God, Kingsley's character became such a joke. I mean, I know that is kind of the point of his character, but they amped up the hamminess to ridiculous amounts and the movie suffered for it. 

• Like 3

Noctis what themes did Iron Man 3 tackle exactly? Was it the age old question about whether or not a man can catch fire? What is the age old question about stand up comedians playing terrorists? What themes?

Edited by baumer
  • Like 7