Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

As we saw last year, reviews mean bupkis.

If reviews don't matter, I don't know what does. If anything, last year's noms had the best correlation I can remember with the ones that got the best reviews. And they're also the reason why J. Edgar has zero chance now.

Edited by tribefan695

So then what movie did he mean?

I... Don't know. Maybe he was referring to the fact that Social Network got better reviews than any movie in the history of forever, won a bunch of critics awards (in fact it holds the record of most best picture wins for a movie ever) and failed to win the Oscar?

I was referring to SOCIAL NETWORK, but then I realized we're talking just nominations here. That being said, we're in another year that's new territory in terms of who/how many get nominated, and without a requirement to find 10 nominees, and with a BP needing 5% of the #1 votes, I think that hurts fringe movies, whether they're fringe blockbusters or fringe art-house movies.

Looking at popular blockbusters, IRON MAN and DARK KNIGHT didn't get a nomination (they were at 94% RT). Neither did STAR TREK (95% RT).

RT score doesn`t always result in a nomination. Nor does the boxoffice. These movies didn`t score the nom because they weren`t AMPAS thing. Same reason why DH2 won`t score any since they changed the rules. With straight up 10 nominees it had an outside chance but with this new system, nope.

RT score doesn`t always result in a nomination. Nor does the boxoffice. These movies didn`t score the nom because they weren`t AMPAS thing. Same reason why DH2 won`t score any since they changed the rules. With straight up 10 nominees it had an outside chance but with this new system, nope.

I agree completely.

Still, it does mean that Warner has good reason to push it this year (and I say this as someone who was disappointed in the movie)

J Edgar is dead in anything save Best Actor and maybe Best Supporting Actor, ELAIC hasn`t been screened yet so it`s a question amrk. DH2 is their only certified contender material thanks to reviews.

The academy is made up of people who are directly involved in the film industry (actors, directors, editors etc.), so it's impossible for them to see every single film that comes out on their own time. Heck, I don't think anyone is physically capable of seeing every single film that comes out each year.

And we'd probably still have the same problem we have now because the ones they saw last would be the ones that are fresh in their minds.

just finished watching "drive" meh doesn't even cover it , the movie is soooo sloww i fell asleep when the girl's husband came back and talk to ryan gosling character in the hallway...next thing i know a gunshot woke me up and gosling is speeding away with hendricks character in his car!

i ponder on rewinding to watch the 30mn its seems i missed but naaa , i somehow managed to watch till the end!

anyway so some of you actually like the chances of this getting best pic nom? really? the only thing i liked about this movie was the soundtrack, i've gotta say great selection and use of score!

and dear me its so weird to see gosling have no chemistry with his lead actress! i'm also pretty disappointed with carey mulligan after seeing her great turn in "an education" i haven't seen a movie of hers/performance that has wowed me!

ps: sorry if this post should be elsewhere but i'm still new to navigating the site.