Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

Obviously to many degrees its subjective, but AVATAR's win had just as much to do with its technical advancement as its artistic merit.

Then again, since many films "deserve" a cinematography award, and since most people (myself included) can't provide any detailed analysis other than "it looked pretty", why quibble about a nomination? In the case of HBP, the nomination was the win.

btw, have you noticed my sig, Noctis?

OH. MY. FUCKING. GOD.

GET THE FUCK OUT.

OMFG, he was actually born on July 15? That's, like, the most epic thing. Lucky baby! When did it happen? In the morning or evening?

No, not the 15th. His due date was the 28th, but he came late, the morning of the 31st (which you had predicted in one of the endless DH2 threads). If BOM still existed, I'd dig the post up. :)

Your just saying this because you love potter.

Umm...no? Maybe if you actually learned about cinematography, you'd realize that it's not visual effects. Avatar had mind-blowing visual effects, but in terms of camerawork, HBP trumps it.

I prefer Avatar over Half-Blood Prince, so there is no bias here. Half-Blood Prince's cinematography was far more creative than Avatar's. The hues, palettes, epic shots, and incredible lighting rapes Avatar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2f1NrKafGA&feature=related

This scene is only a minute and thirty eight seconds long. It is stunning camerawork. You're going to tell me that wasn't worthy of an Oscar win? LMFAO.

How about you guys discuss cinematography in the cinematography thread.

Now, on the actual topic of the thread:

1. War Horse

2. The Descendants

3. The Artist

4. Moneyball

5. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

6. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

7. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy

I think The Help will get squeezed out by the 5% rule. Some people have really liked it, but not many, if any, seem to love it before all else. I also think Midnight in Paris is just a bit too small and early in the year to have traction in awards season for this award.

Umm...no? Maybe if you actually learned about cinematography, you'd realize that it's not visual effects. Avatar had mind-blowing visual effects, but in terms of camerawork, HBP trumps it.

I prefer Avatar over Half-Blood Prince, so there is no bias here. Half-Blood Prince's cinematography was far more creative than Avatar's. The hues, palettes, epic shots, and incredible lighting rapes Avatar.

I love watching you get so defensive about Harry Potter. I just imagine a 10-year old flailing his arms, screaming "NO! NO! THAT'S TRUE!". I also enjoy your insinuation that you know far more about cinematography than anybody else here.

Edited by RichWS

I'd be SHOCKED if Deathly Hallows 2 is nominated. Maybe with the old rules but not with the new ones. How many academy members are actually gonna put it as their favorite film of the year? It has to be at least just over 300. I doubt many critics will put it at their number one of the year either despite them giving it raves.

I'd be SHOCKED if Deathly Hallows 2 is nominated. Maybe with the old rules but not with the new ones. How many academy members are actually gonna put it as their favorite film of the year? It has to be at least just over 300. I doubt many critics will put it at their number one of the year either despite them giving it raves.

Agreed. Without people needing to come up with 10 nominees, there's no impetus for DH2... and right now in Hollywood the movies that are getting Academy love are THE ARTIST and THE DESCENDENT.

• Founder / Operator

Much as the new rule dictates there doesn't *have* to be 10, that doesn't necessarily mean the Academy won't still recognize that it needs the ratings...and at this point, people won't be watching for anything else.

I think had reviews not been so stellar for DH2, and its place in history not be so important, that would better support the argument for DH2 not having a chance at being nominated.

A movie doesn't have to be a contender for winning in order to get nominated, especially in a larger field.

Edited by ShawnMR

Much as the new rule dictates there doesn't *have* to be 10, that doesn't necessarily mean the Academy won't still recognize that it needs the ratings...and at this point, people won't be watching for anything else.

I think had reviews not been so stellar for DH2, and its place in history not be so important, that would better support the argument for DH2 not having a chance at being nominated.

A movie doesn't have to be a contender for winning in order to get nominated, especially in a larger field.

It's the PRODUCERS who care so much about ratings. Not the voters. And yes, with the new rules a movie probably does need to be a contender to win to be nominated since it needs a bunch of #1 votes. The Academy have never taken the franchise seriously. Why should they start now? Edited by CoolioD1

The Academy, as a single entity, may want to appeal to popular movies to get ratings... but individually, people don't take that into consideration. No one for a movie just because they want the telecast to be big. They vote for what spoke to them emotionally, they vote for their friends, and they vote for themselves. I don't think DH2 has enough love to snag the required 5 percent of #1 votes.

In fact, I think no matter how stodgy/arty/whatever the nominations are this year, already the Oscars will gain more interest simply because of the Ratner/Eddie Murphy fallout and the return of Billy Crystal.