Impact

2011 Best Picture Predicts

I really don't know about that one, apparently David Ehrenstein liked it, but that's all I've heard so far. But Awards Daily has done some serious pimping for DH2 and Andy Serkis in Apes. I thought you were behind those.

Edited by CoolioD1

I don`t believe in DH2 nom because the series never received a single BP nomination before. So why would AMPAS, with their love of traditional baits such as War Horse, biopics and jaw-jutting fake-Russian Oscar whoring, suddenly change their mind? Not gonna happen, neither this nor Serkis who has SAG against mo`cap.

What you make of La Jolie`s ITLOBAH? Awardsdaily fucks hype the shit out of this anti-Serb propaganda but they have such terrible taste in movies.

Hard to say, the studio is keeping it under wraps and there's no blogger buzz but the couple reviews that got out there have been really strong. Might be too heavy for AMPAS..

From what I've seen so far I really, really wish Drive and 50/50 had a chance but apparently they are not even long shots anymore. Saw J Edgar and Ides also, and I doubt those will get in. But you never know.

Regarding DH2, I think the chances are slim to none, but WB is definitely pushing for it. I would have preferred DHI get a nomination if anything, especially last year when it had a better chance due to 10 nominees. I don't even remember all the nominees at this point but I'm sure DHI should have got in over a couple... Winter's Boner maybe?

Also Bridesmaids I'd love to see get some recognition. Maybe McCarthy (though I thought Wiig was better) and Screenplay.

Edited by rockNrollaDIM

Agreed. DH1 should have been nominated in 2010. My biggest annoyance was DH1 being snubbed from Cinematography. That was utterly ridiculous to me.

Really? Wow, that is ridiculous.

Just looked it up and saw that it got Art Direction and Visual Effects- I'm sure it was worthy of a few more technical nods. Maybe even Adapted Screenplay. I don't know, I thoguht DHI was as perfect as a film could get coming from the Harry Potter books. It's too bad they won't ever get recognized in a major category. It would be awesome to see Rickman get a supporting nod, for a great 10 year-long performance.

Really? Wow, that is ridiculous.

Just looked it up and saw that it got Art Direction and Visual Effects- I'm sure it was worthy of a few more technical nods. Maybe even Adapted Screenplay. I don't know, I thoguht DHI was as perfect as a film could get coming from the Harry Potter books. It's too bad they won't ever get recognized in a major category. It would be awesome to see Rickman get a supporting nod, for a great 10 year-long performance.

Avatar beating Half-Blood Prince for Best Cinematography? The King's Speech being nominated for Best Cinematography instead of DH1? Seriously, it's fucking insulting. In what world is the cinematography of DH1 worse than TKS?

Also, Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince not being nominated for Best Art Direction was insane. But what gets me, and this is my least favorite Potter, was GoF not being nominated for visual effects. It holds up way better than RoTS and Narnia in special effects.

Sorry, but this series has been shamefully snubbed it's aggravating.

Edited by Noctis

FilmDistrict are taking a big risk with In The Land of Blood and Honey. According to Deadline they've decided to not theatrically release the English language version and go for the native Bosnian speak language version in every Market instead. Boooolld. Now it's obvious that the film makes no money

Yeah, I saw that. Doesn't make much (any) sense box office wise, but from a film standpoint it's very bold. I'm surprised they would go that route in the States. Maybe they are confident it will be an awards' contender, either that or they figured the English language version wasn't going to make significant money to begin with (also probably true).

Avatar beating Half-Blood Prince for Best Cinematography? The King's Speech being nominated for Best Cinematography instead of DH1? Seriously, it's fucking insulting. In what world is the cinematography of DH1 worse than TKS?

Also, Prisoner of Azkaban and Half-Blood Prince not being nominated for Best Art Direction was insane. But what gets me, and this is my least favorite Potter, was GoF not being nominated for visual effects. It holds up way better than RoTS and Narnia in special effects.

Sorry, but this series has been shamefully snubbed it's aggravating.

For better or worse tech award nominations come from "the most liked/nominated films" instead of "all films released in a calendar year"... unless they're so stunning/groundbreaking/different that they can't be ignored. Sequels generally don't get as much love anyways, and if you combine that with the fact that the HP series (whether rightly or wrongly) is seen as nice, solid work (but nothing truly outstanding) and you have a recipe for why it hasn't gotten a lot of nominations.

But don't let me stop you from raging. :P

Obviously to many degrees its subjective, but AVATAR's win had just as much to do with its technical advancement as its artistic merit.

Then again, since many films "deserve" a cinematography award, and since most people (myself included) can't provide any detailed analysis other than "it looked pretty", why quibble about a nomination? In the case of HBP, the nomination was the win.

btw, have you noticed my sig, Noctis?