baumer

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (2013)

102 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Pacing issues completely sorted out on this one, did not feel like 160 mins at all. Smaug was awesome although a little too chatty for my liking. Visual effects were fine for 98% of the movie! Do people realize how much CGI was in this, no because it was usually excellent. That said the gold melting was fairly poor. Much more action and better action at that. Solid adventure film. Still does not come close to any of the LOTR movies.

A-

well this was definitely an improvement over last one. But you can tell this was really built just to be two movies. I also agree that some of the CGI was awful in certain places.Overall it is still a decent movie but still nothing great or outstanding about it. Smaug was cool but even that didn't seem to go too far as of course that's where the cliffhanger was anyway I'd give the movie a B

So I did notice on my 3rd viewing that gandalf staff is destroyed by necromancer/sauron fire. So I guess we'll see in the last film how he gets radagast staffAlso something I notice first and 2nd time but only confirmed this trip , there's this guy in laketown who reminded me of someone in LOTR A soldier , this trip even though I still didn't get a good look at his face and I'm wondering now if that's done on purpose HoWeVer I did hear his name BRAGA and I'm thinking he'd have to be young to be around in LOTR or perhaps his kid? Think its someone in the two towers One reason I'm watching LOTR now so I can verify whether its who I think it is or pure coincidence Another reason just want to watch legolas again :) and compare how he is he now to then Also can't let the year end without watching the best trilogy ever one last time what's the holiday for otherwise? Its a thing with gandalf always been tossed around and captures by someone sauron spirit in hobbit 2 , saruman here in Fotr lol Aww I missed those little buggers merry and pippin lol

• Like 1

It was a step up from An Unexpected Journey. But I still think it's overlong and has a fair share of unnecessarily dragged parts. There are some good and exciting action scenes. Good makeup and music. 

The lack of Bilbo is disappointing considering the movie is called The Hobbit, and I like his character. On that note, I dislike Thorin, almost always seems like he has a stick up there. Tauriel is pretty badass (beautiful too), shame that she was reduced to be in a pointless love complications. Smaug is great, perfect voice casting choice. 

Overall, it was okay. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't bored out of my mind like with the first part. I guess I'm just not a big fan of the franchise in general, thus I felt kinda detached watching it.

B-/C+

Edited by Sam

It was a step up from An Unexpected Journey. But I still think it's overlong and has a fair share of unnecessarily dragged parts. There are some good and exciting action scenes. Good makeup and music. 

The lack of Bilbo is disappointing considering the movie is called The Hobbit, and I like his character. On that note, I dislike Thorin, almost always seems like he has a stick up there. Tauriel is pretty badass (beautiful too), shame that she was reduced to be in a pointless love complications. Smaug is great, perfect voice casting choice. 

Overall, it was okay. I wasn't impressed, but I wasn't bored out of my mind like with the first part. I guess I'm just not a big fan of the franchise in general, thus I felt kinda attached watching it.

B-/C+

Did you mean "detached"?

• Like 1

After a second viewing, I stand by my opinion that they should have concentrated on characters, not that much action. Sure, the action sequences are nice, but it's the intimate moments that float this franchise. Freeman does a really great performance - watch how his feet, hands, face are always in motion - and they could have centered the story much more on him; he's easily the most likeable character on screen.

btw, watching Freeman do his Bilbo, there's a hint at what went wrong with "Hitchhiker's Guide" ... too little of this Freeman magic.

• Like 2

I don't get this stance of saying tauriel is reduced to a love story plot , chica is badass throughout the film , she's daring and does what she feels is the right thing. She had a good scene with kili 2 people having a good exchange even if one is a prisoner the other the captor and so when they escape and are attacked by orcs she feels its her duty to go after them , she tells legolas she doesn't agree with thranduil stance of leaving orcs roam the place and just defending his borders and she won't leave them attack their prisoners with impunitySeriously whatever romance might or might not be going on is not so heavy as to deter from a great addition to the elvendom characters She clearly belongs to a lower level of elves in mirkwood kingdom and yet you can tell she is more than just a captain of the guard which just goes to show that prince legolas has good taste if he's fancying her , personally I think she fancies legolas more they have known each other for a few centuries after all!The next scene with kili when she saves his life can be also seen as her doing what she deems right , she has absolute trust legolas can handle a few orcs on his own and there you have kili who will die if not taken care of immediately I think she may be flattered by kili thinking so highly of her but at no moment does she show a defined liking /attachment to him. She doesn't cry or kiss him or hug him at the most she let's him touch her fingers as he ask if she could love him (the guy is delirious from orc poison) Personally if she is falling for kili I cannot blame her he's hot but so is legolas aww to be face with such a choice hmmmmI digress even if she is link to a romance how the heck does that negate her badassery ? Why are they exclusive aspects that can't coexist together , its like telling women they can't be working and be moms at same time And let's be serious romance has never been a large component of this world building in LOTR there was only aragorn and arwen and that was kept to a minimum even as it tied into bigger politicking of middle-earth So let hobbit have a little romance its harmless in the grand scheme of things but please don't reduce tauriel to a girl fawning over a guy Don't forget she is an elf of great beauty and elves don't make it their business to mix with other races so here like in LOtR its a great moment to be in the presence of an elf esp the ladies and witnessing elvish magic/healing rituals that's how I saw that scene in bard house it was shown from kili delirious mind pov not tauriel's. I expect nothing but more badassery from her in the 3rd film hoping she can help them save laketown be heroic in that sequence save as many oh and her kissing legolas (total fangirl moment in the making)

• Like 1

The Hobbit 22:15PM about 75% full, from young young kids to old blokes.Trailers:Earth to Echo: This looks incomplete-even if it is in April.Captain 2: Still looks great, got quite a good reaction.TASM 2: Looks pretty good.Boxtrolls: Um okay. Nothing.Edge of Tomorrow (Had to look this up as I forgot the title): Laughs at it, looks meh at best. (And I'm one of the few people who actually still like Cruise)Jupiter Ascending: Not sure what to make of this.Movie: Really good, better then the first. The visuals were great and the film was quite fun. The audience really enjoyed it. Though I know some people will hate the way it ends (Just like what happened with CF a couple months ago), still good fun.A-

• Like 3

Ahhh the paradox at hand. There's a lot going on in this film, and yet, very little actually happens regarding the core story.I actually enjoyed the first Hobbit film, I thought it was a good pre-cursor to the Hobbit trilogy and also had some interesting insights into the impending LOTR trilogy. TDOS, however, had very little flow and is about as inorganic of a film of you can find. This entire film simply feels like an excuse to get to the 3rd film. I liken it to a stand-up show in which the headlining comic is an hour late, and the introducing comic has to spout off forced lame ass jokes to keep the audience interested.Special mention has to go to the laughable "ending." There's cliffhanger endings, and then there's just simply ending the film mid-scene."I am death.""What have we done?"*Fade to black*LMAO.

Edited by mattmav45

B   (for now)

3D HFR. That was not good idea to watch it first time in this technology. I focused on fast frames rather than whole movie.

What is negative?

- Couldn't stand elfdwarve romance. Healing scene looked like good handjob.

- Bad CGI in some scenes

- Little time for Silvan Elves

Positive?

- Legolas is fine and badass here. His father is even better.

- Every scene with Smaug

- Martin Freeman

- Very good sound, music and 3D

- Proper ending