Fight Club (1999)

31 members have voted

1. 1. Fight Club

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

^^ One of the points is how stupid and pointless Tyler's reactions were. He's not wrong that current society and culture are generally shallow, corporate, materialistic, and lived in a bland stupor, but his petulant and violent way of striking back was equally shallow and meaningless.

As he puts it at the end (having come to this realization himself): "You met me at a very strange part of my life."

• Like 1

Oh, that does make sense, and all this time I was thinking that the movie is just patting itself on the back because how clever it is (which it does during the reveal) and not acknowledging that Tylers views are basically stupid.

But yeah, thanks, I guess I'll have to think on this some more.

Oh, that does make sense, and all this time I was thinking that the movie is just patting itself on the back because how clever it is (which it does during the reveal) and not acknowledging that Tylers views are basically stupid.

But yeah, thanks, I guess I'll have to think on this some more.

Fincher is laughing out loud about this parody of a rebellion. He's pretty cynical about it all, Fight Club is one giant farce and a prank on every dudebros and frustrated chumps out there that think the whole world owns them something (what we buy from the corporate world as fulfilling) and bust a nut childishly like a bratty kid that didn't get his favourite toys at christmas.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I never saw Fight Club as a cynical film, the last shot with the song and the bank towers crumbling were more a desperate cry to me.

The main character had understood a lot of things about the world but where do we go from here ? The main character seems lost to me at the end ... Where is my mind in deed ...

I never saw Fight Club as a cynical film, the last shot with the song and the bank towers crumbling were more a desperate cry to me.

The main character had understood a lot of things about the world but where do we go from here ? The main character seems lost to me at the end ... Where is my mind in deed ...

Well the ending scene certainly has weird optimism. Yeah, they destroy the worn world and will be faced with existential anxiety. But man can also got whole rebirth from nothing. It seems they got nowhere to go, but actually can go anywhere.

• Like 3

Fincher is laughing out loud about this parody of a rebellion. He's pretty cynical about it all, Fight Club is one giant farce and a prank on every dudebros and frustrated chumps out there that think the whole world owns them something (what we buy from the corporate world as fulfilling) and bust a nut childishly like a bratty kid that didn't get his favourite toys at christmas.

This statement is more cynical than the entire movie. Nothing wrong with admitting our society has some parts that should be removed. 

And who gave this a C?

Fight Club is turning Palahniuk's genuine Generation X's dudes existential mid-crisis manifest into a dry comedy of that existential crisis turning point. The character is not lost but came to balance and reconcile his conflicted sides, the towers crumbling before his eyes hands in hands with Marla Singer achieving that "transformation/blossoming after destruction process" thematics.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Yeah, the big message of Fight Club is to find your own way without losing yourself in the process of a dubious system. Yeah, living a dull corporate life injected with an unfulfilling office job and bouts of mindless consumerism is a pretty lousy way to live, but joining a "Fuck Society" cult and going off the nihilistic deep end is no better. Naturally, a lot of kids think they're "above the man" and only think about the first part of this. It's a brilliant movie that plays with finding our own desires in a strange and frustrating world. 

• Like 6

Watched it this past week. Mind Blowing. I was like whaaaaaT? throughout the film. The twist was among the best ones and most unpredictable ones out there. The acting was absolutely top class, especially the leads. The dialogues were so rip-through. Among the most quote-able films ever. Damn great film. Has become one of my top 10 fav films ever.

10/10

Edited by Infernus
  • Like 1