Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

31 minutes ago, MysteryMovieMogul said:

This comment section is wild. Why do so many people want certain films to fail?!? In this economy?!?

Just because the box office is in the toilet doesn’t mean we can’t be critical of a movie and the way the marketing presents itself.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I went back and forth from thinking "this looks great and like a huge hit" to "this looks like a shitty streaming Disney+ movie" like ten times in the course of one trailer. I got nothing.

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

Very realistic possibility this is how they do it.

Nah, they'll end it with Dorothy landing in Oz.

Part 2 will be The Wizard of Oz, but Wicked. This half of the film will be padded out and new original songs will be written to stretch this aspect out longer than in the Broadway version.

Just my guess.

• Like 1

All the Anti-Elphaba propaganda and fearmongering takes place after Defying Gravity right? We have already seen a lot of scenes in the trailers that take place post DG like Glinda's bubble arriving in Munchkinland, Dorothy and friends skipping to Emerald City, the Wicked Witch character assassination taking hold etc. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Old Spice said:

IMO, the biggest obstacle to this being as good as it could be is that it's taking a great 2 hour and 40 minute-ish musical and stretchhhhhing it into two movies and it's hard to imagine its doing so for any reason other than $$$$.

Yes, obviously it's money motivated but the musical compressed a long, complex novel that had enough material for an HBO miniseries of 8-10 one hour length episodes down to 2 hours 40 minutes as well. So there is material to draw from.

15 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

Very realistic possibility this is how they do it.

Ok this made me realize that we won't hear "No Good Deed" until part 2 :(  People said "All the good songs are in part one" so I just assumed it was in there, being unfamiliar with the play 🤡

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I don't know what this means for this kind of product but at least on youtube the views for the material has been released look not good?

First teaser has 5.8M views after more than 3 months and first full trailer made 2M in 24 hours.

The only reason i have seen someone talk about this on the socials is because of ariana grande, without her right now would have been even more transparent.

Staying on universal- musicals trailers of

Yesterday 32M views

Dear evand Hansen 23M

Cats 18M

Mamma mia Here we go again 10M

Wonka first trailer, since this is compared to it for so many reason, has now 45M views. 

Edited by vale9001

11 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

I don't know what this means for this kind of product but at least on youtube the views for the material has been released look not good?

First teaser has 5.8M views after more than 3 months and first full trailer made 2M in 24 hours.

The only reason i have seen someone talk about this on the socials is because of ariana grande, without her right now would have been even more transparent.

Yesterday 32M views

Dear evand Hansen 23M

Cats 18M

Wonka first trailer, since this is compared to it for so many reason, has now 45M views. 

Elphaba got shown up by the hot new witch in town

Honestly tho, what was with all the upcoming witch related project promos dropping in a span of 12 hours? Agatha All Along teaser, Wicked Pt. 1 first full trailer and the Bene Gesserit show first trailer (Dune: Prophecy) They ate into each other for sure

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Yesterday 32M views

Dear evand Hansen 23M

Cats 18M

I normally wouldn’t put much (or any) stock in trailer views but 5.8M is really low considering it had a Superbowl trailer.

1 hour ago, vale9001 said:

Yesterday 32M views

Dear evand Hansen 23M

Cats 18M

OK now what do the trailer views of those movies tell you

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

OK now what do the trailer views of those movies tell you

i don't know...cats a part was viral for the memes says to me only theaters geeks seems to care about it and Universal should read on these numbers the fact has to work now to make this movie an event for everyone?.

Cause 2.8M views for a first trailer after almost 48 hours doesn't seem exactly something could bring a breakout weekend right now. 

They have six months so all the time to do it but I think these numbers should tell them something. 

Edited by vale9001

8 hours ago, vale9001 said:

i don't know...cats a part was viral for the memes says to me only theaters geeks seems to care about it and Universal should read on these numbers the fact has to work now to make this movie an event for everyone?.

Cause 2.8M views for a first trailer after almost 48 hours doesn't seem exactly something could bring a breakout weekend right now. 

They have six months so all the time to do it but I think these numbers should tell them something. 

Right but tell them what? Those other movies had great trailer views and that translated to bupkis. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ChipDerby said:

Right but tell them what? Those other movies had great trailer views and that translated to bupkis. 

what doesn't click with you? these musicals moved some better numbers with the trailers and still didn't went over their fanbases or musical fans. So doing even worst than them certainly doesn't look like a better situation to start with.

Edited by vale9001

52 minutes ago, vale9001 said:

what doesn't click with you? these musicals moved some better numbers with the trailers and still didn't went over their fanbases or musical fans. So doing even worst than them certainly doesn't look like a better situation to start with.

What doesn't click with you? The trailers generated interest. And that generated...? Which means that trailer views mean...? Nothing, that's right.

Now if you honestly think Wicked is going to gross less than those films because the trailer views...

MM:HWGA made $120 mil domestic off those 10 mil views

Cats made $27 mil domestic off those 18 mil views

Dear Evan made $15 mil domestic off those 23 mil views

Yesterday made $73 mil off those 32 mil views

There's just absolutely no correlation from trailer views to box office.

Wicked is the 4th best selling Broadway show of all time.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2024 at 10:54 AM, ChipDerby said:

What doesn't click with you? The trailers generated interest. And that generated...? Which means that trailer views mean...? Nothing, that's right.

Now if you honestly think Wicked is going to gross less than those films because the trailer views...

MM:HWGA made $120 mil domestic off those 10 mil views

Cats made $27 mil domestic off those 18 mil views

Dear Evan made $15 mil domestic off those 23 mil views

Yesterday made $73 mil off those 32 mil views

There's just absolutely no correlation from trailer views to box office.

Wicked is the 4th best selling Broadway show of all time.

I don't understand why you're putting in so much effort arguing with folks that just seem to want Wicked to fail. You're right that trailer views mean absolutely nothing. Especially now of all times.