Films

Wicked: Part 1 | November 22, 2024 | Jon M Chu to direct | Ariana Grande is Galinda. Cynthia Erivo is Elphaba

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Universal sparing no expense in the promotional campaign for this. IEWU managing to hit $50M without much crossover appeal beyond its core demo should make a $60M+ opening for this pretty easy, especially when it'll be the first family film in nearly two months (and is beating Moana 2 to the punch by opening earlier) and the geek audience that the IEWU/Deadpool crossover meme was trying to reach (the audience for this is unlikely to be over 80% female like that movie was) is likely to be more open to seeing this as a somewhat compatible big budget IP/nostalgia driven tentpole.

I think families would rather wait a week to watch Moana 2 tbh

• Like 1

Ariana seems good for the part even if not top acting act. Her whole brand seems very related to this role so i think it's okay to have her.

The problem imo is Erivo. I think the role needed a young actress in general and especially someone could work better in couple with ariana.  

The core thing of this work is the relationship between the two characters, so between the actress. Of course i need to watch the movie and i can really change my idea after that but i don't see too much alchemy between them out of the set and in the movie clips we saw. 

Once you choose Ariana imo you needed like a Zendaya, a Taylor Russel or the actress of the little Mermaid. Maybe cause i think ariana can pass for someone around 25 and not 30 but the couple doesn't convince me and doesn't sell the movie that much.

Probably the casting idea was: someone for the pop culture fans, someone for the theater fans.

But to sell a high budgeted musical you just need to attract the first type. 

Edited by vale9001

15 hours ago, vale9001 said:

This could have good legs if people like It like It was for The greatest showman (but of course that Oceania competition is a thing).

But a 60M First weekend prediction seems too positive to me. I see this with numbers around Wonka at best

ANd ,frankly, Wicked is a much better musical then Greatest Showman; certainly the score is vastly better. Never got why SHowman was such a sucess, given how mediocre it was overall.

I also have a nagging feeling it being a two parter will hurt it.  I don't know, from an artistic viewping, why the hell they did that.

Of course from a business point of view I know. Milking what they hope will be a cash cow until it is dry.

Yeah, this is a female-targeted obviously but also aiming for 4 quad appeal in the same way Beauty and the Beast '17 and Barbie did. Highly unlikely it does anywhere close to as well as either of those of course, but the chances of this following in the footsteps of the recent Broadway-to-film nonstarters is looking increasingly small, in large part because it's sellable beyond that connection (even if you don't know the stage musical, everyone knows The Wizard of Oz and will see this as an update on the property using modern technology).

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

It’s difficult to comment here, because we all know musicals are big here in the UK (Mamma Mia having bigger admissions than Endgame), but the buzz for this is huge.

Can see this having a giant opening weekend here. 

It also seems to have high anticipation in Latin America as well. The second trailer release 8 days ago already has 20 million views for Warner Bros Mexico Youtube page

• Like 1

15 hours ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, this is a female-targeted obviously but also aiming for 4 quad appeal in the same way Beauty and the Beast '17 and Barbie did. Highly unlikely it does anywhere close to as well as either of those of course, but the chances of this following in the footsteps of the recent Broadway-to-film nonstarters is looking increasingly small, in large part because it's sellable beyond that connection (even if you don't know the stage musical, everyone knows The Wizard of Oz and will see this as an update on the property using modern technology).

Yeh I agree, my 3 year old niece was captivated by the poster for this film in the lobby. She kept wanting to leave during Inside Out 2 to go and see the Wicked poster again. 

She has no idea what it is, she doesn’t know Oz either. It was just “pink princess and a witch!” and that was her. 

Edited by Krissykins
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1
  • Haha 1